Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Mar 06 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2006, 12:34 PM
1. Peth
Even it's highly illustrated, this is the kind of pictures that you get in a real Ferrari's catalog. Congrats!

2. Pocoroba
Love the right mirror!

3. Doug Colwell
The first entry was a very good entry, I also think this particular car had red sits as you did.

4. Retouchpix
Again an illustrated pic, but reall good, also the shadow looks to me very reallistyc.

5. Infinite monkey
You could get a better place in my voting, but I don't think Ferrari will put a RTCH ME as licence plate
Old 03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
1 - HannibalVector - Shading and reflections combine to make the paint look highly polished - almost wet. Very realistic glass look. Front wheel still blown out, and rear end a bit dull and purpleish compared to the rest of the car. Roofline a bit spotty. Still, think this best retains the quality of a photo, with great depth.

2 - Pocoroba - Excellent interior and good glass, but passenger door profile headed in wrong direction, and left the original headrest red. Beautiful paint job (though slightly hazy), and good call on re-working the long dark reflection of the buildings - when I eliminated that on mine the car really lost the luster of the original.

3 - InfiniteMonkey - Dash change-out looks good but there's a gap above it on the left that the hood line suggests shouldn't be there. Passenger mirror is too high, and front wheel still blown out. Glass reflections subtle and very well done. Great wax job - car looks bright and shiny like it should, helped again by retaining that long dark reflection.

4 - Studioj - Interior looks great, well thought out and nicely shaded (passenger door profile should be slightly lower than the dash like the driver's door). White road line reflection left behind rear wheel. Wheel copy looks good and nice detail work on tires. Also really nice paint job.

5 - Peth - Very nice interior and glass treatment, but no passenger side mirror and passenger door profile curves down rather than up to the rear window profile. Wheel copy and size works well to fix blown out front wheel (nice re-tread). All street reflections gone, but I'm not sure the bright highlight along the length of the car works where it is. Smooth lines and blending.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:30 PM
RL design
Studio J

Infinite Monkey honourable mention
Old 03-28-2006, 02:46 AM
Picked the entries that I think look the most realistic in the areas of highlights, shadows, window reflections, and creating the missing interior details.

1. Porcoroba
2. Peth
3. studioj
4. Doug Colwell
5. LonK

Old 03-29-2006, 05:29 AM
I looked at detail, overall look for a cataloge, and lighting.

1 - Perth

2 - RetoughPix

3 - Porcoroba

4 - Lorraine

5 - OnAir
Old 03-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I really wanted to get more involved in discussions about this contest, but unfortunately I suffered a heart attack and have undergone cardiac bypass surgery since my entry. Forgive me for not being too chatty right now.

1. HannibalVector. Caught my eye immediately even though I didn't care for the color shift.
2. Pocoroba. Very clean and convincing retouch. Seats seem mispositioned though.
3. dcolwell. 1st entry, remained one of my favorite efforts (though the driver reflection in the mirror bothered me.)
4. InfiniteMonkey. Aggressive interior work, but window should have been closed.
5. Peth. More illustrative than photorealistic, but I just like the bold result.

Overall there were more entries than I expected. Certainly some very imaginative interpretations. It is relatively easy to distinguish the seasoned pros from mere enthusiasts like me though. Kudos to all who took the challenge.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:25 PM
This was tough, but I graded on several things:
Realistic drop shadow
Realistic reflections (softboxes are standard for auto shoots)
Transparency but reflectiveness of windows

My votes are as follows:
1-Pocoroba - awesome reflections, good windows
2 - Infinite Monkey - Great all around
3 - Peth - Great windows
4 - Shalford - great reflections, but drop shadows need work.
5 - Philback - Great drop shadow! Hard light reflections are not good, as soft lite banks are standard.

This was a tough one! Congrats to everyone's hard work!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Lonk, i just read your last post, and i hope you're doing better! Wow, rough couple of weeks, huh? Relax and take care of yourself.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:49 PM

I know this isnt't the place to post this, but I hope you're feeling better and doing okay.

Just take care of yourself, that's the most important.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Omg Lonk, a heart attack? That's not good, not good at all.
Please don't do that again, we need you here. I hope you recover soon and grow very old.

Back to the votes.
I found it very difficult to vote this time, a lott of the entries were very similar.

1 Pocoroba
2 InfiniteMonkey
3 Doug Colwell
4 Lonk
5 Peth
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests