RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Apr 06 Contest Discussion

Old 04-27-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog
Read that with an Austrian accient please.
Hey that's where I am going next month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog
[I]
I am probably in a minority here in that I am neither a hobbiest or a professional. I need to become a professional and make some money at this gig. That's why I am here.
Same for me!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 11:58 AM

Hahaha! That is why i love this site!

Same with bluedog and hannibal, i'm no pro, that is why i stick to this site, because i love to see where my skills are.

Professionals are always critiques, constructive critiques, that is why we look up to them, it is always an honor hearing them talk about your work.

Hmmmm... I hope the next contest be something without rules, anything goes maybe...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 01:01 PM

Rules or no rules...

contestants will nearly always push them as far as possible to arrive at a result thay are proud of. It's happened as long as I've been entering, regardless of of how clear/or not, the rules have been.

I knew with my entry that I'd created a piece that people would interrpret as having gone too far. But I wouldn't have done justice to myself if I'd left it at an earlier stage.

I think those with more knowledge/experience will always do this. It's in our nature. But we do it at our own peril.

Having said that... maybe the one with the most experience is out in front now!

As to an earlier comment about not having ANY rules for a contest... all due respect but if you thought this contest was difficult to judge, try judging one where all 700-odd are completely different! Your eyeballs would definitely be rolling then. Remember that each of these contests are designed as a fun way to learn a particular skill or method. there are other forums for those who want spread their creative wings and soar a lot higher!

Gigadals, I understand your sentiment however. Likewise I completely understand and sympathise with hannibal, Infinite, Lonk and co. But hey, we're all winners if we we come away with a skill, technique or approach we can take away and use in our everyday life. The people we work for are the ultimate judges and the ones we want the most praise from in the end.
And this site has given me that for sure.

Last edited by Peth; 04-27-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 03:03 PM

Same with everyone else, I like the contests-- I think it is a fun way to try your hand at learning a new skill and improve yourself. My comment was simply aimed at looking for a way to stop all the bickerings....not being computer savvy (programming-wise) I had no idea that not showing the entries until the contest it over or not showing the votes until they are all tallied up was a gazillion dollar operation. I just thought perhaps that might help. Another thing I think could help is if we all agreed that the contest moderator gets final say on what is or is not a violation of their rules for that contest. That person could go through the entries on the last day and delete any that he/she feels is in clear violation of the set rules. No arguments. Then all of the entries left are fair game and get equal consideration without anyone having to debate about whether so and so should have changed the BG, thinned out the face, or changed the size. Everyone will never agree, but one person can make a decision. Just my two cents-- I will continue to enter contests either way it goes, I just feel bad when people get so agitated over the voting.

-Kate
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2006, 03:46 AM

InfiniteMonkey,

You want a comment on your work, here's mine. I remember your entry very well. It stands out because it's whimsical.

You did well on the cleanup of the skin with texture intact. I also like it that you kept some stray hairs. You were also one of the few who changed the background seamlessly. It's probably because you kept the shadow cast in the background which help avoid that "cut & paste" look.

The rest of the additions, coffee cup stains, tapes and handwriting are very believable.

But if I were the client - and setting the contest rules aside, I would ask for a refund right away. I wouldn't want to pay for a retouch photo with coffee cup stains in it. (just kidding ) I guess you just wanted to test your skills that's why you decided to go to this route. You obviously have the skills to achieve this result.

I'm interested to know how you did those coffee cup stains, tapes.

Last edited by soleah; 04-28-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2006, 07:30 AM

The gallery was great it made viewing and judging a lot easier. To be fair to everyone's hard you make notes as you view and end up with more than 5 and getting back to 5 is difficult. The variations are excellent some really popped out. My preference was leaving the stray hairs, leaving the background and the straps and trying to stay as natural but with minor enhancements.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2006, 03:00 PM

Cool Polaroids from the edge...

Hi Soleah,
Thanks for your kind words, I really appreciate the feedback.
Ironically, the idea for the comp came to me at 3am, hence the handwritten note on the photo. I kept thinking 'Snapshot' and couldn't get the thought of polaroids out of my mind. A quick search of the internet came up with the raw materials and I was off...
Instead of just comping the photo in, I wanted to show that it had been weathered, so I found some scratches and blotches and stumbled across the coffee stain. Some creative masking and judicious use of layer effects later and I had the basis for the finished project.
I desperately wanted to change the background and ended up taking a section from my sisters wedding photo.
Turns out, my monitor wasn't as colour corrected as I'd like and the time-aged effect probably went a bit too far, but in the end I think it achieves what I set out to do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2006, 03:21 AM

Apologies for my lack of votes. I've been a bit busier than expected and was unable to get through all the entries in time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2006, 06:29 PM

Congratulations Bella. Excellent job!
Other top 5 contesters, also congratulations!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2006, 07:46 PM

Congratulations, Bella!

Sometimes less is more and this is one of those times. Well done!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests