Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Apr 06 Contest Discussion

Old 04-26-2006, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by Gigadals
From April 06 Contest Votes
.........We all wanted to go further, we all wanted to change the background, but changing it makes it not the original ain't it? Even the simple removing of the white line alters the original. Nobody would have not noticed that white line, but removing it, that you would have to consider.

So, i voted only on those who did not touch the bg and the white.
It seems you approved of cropping the pix on the sides but not the cropping out of the white at the bottom???

I for one, didn't give too much importance on the pic's size (800x600). If I were to follow the rules explicitly, then I would have to disqualify those that didn't name their files correctly, etc, etc.

I just judged based on what I thought looked right. Not an easy task, I'm sure you'll agree, with 74 entries!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 05:25 AM
Whine, whine, whine

Everyone keeps saying "its just for fun", but honestly, look how competitive we all are.

It was my first contest and in my opinion newcomers were at a distinct disadvanged. For instance, I read the rules, and as ambiguous as they were, it never occured to me that "rules" could be modified by "discussion".

What client would define "snapshot" in such a way? If you wanted to salavage a bad snapshot I would think that an awful mustard yellow background would be fair game. How can you justify fixing, selecting, or removing multiple garment straps but not allow us to dress her in something completely appropriate for her age and look? And, if her hair has that 3AM and I haven't been washed in 2 days look shouldn't we think do something for it?

I say all this in consideration of what I considered the overarching requirement to be; that it is to remain a snapshot and not a glamor shot. And, exactly of what real-world importance is the dimension exact pixel dimension of the photo? As stated it just seemed to be a reasonable limit because of and based on the 100K requirement?

Ambiguity necessitates interpretation.

I for one was merely happy to measure my ability against the more experienced and professional people here. All this post-bickering clouds the idea of it being a fair measuring stick.

The solution is to more carefully consider the rules in advance of publishing them. Make sure that any and all criteria for disqualification is carefully stated. Perhaps a little (read tiny, like 2 or 3 senior people) peer review would help? Finally, let the rules stand as published and avoid discussion and clarification.

Regardless, I can't wait until the next contest. It was fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Hi Blue Dog,

I usually try to avoid the contest discussion as much as possible, too much bitching.

I enter only for the fun. If my interpretation of the rules is "wrong", I don't give a f...... its not important. Seems you have a similar attitude, wish a few more did.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Fully agree with both the above posts !!!!!

Friendly competition is the only rule that should be most important here. It's not as if we are competing for a £1,000,000. cash prize, is it?

My first place (so far) hasn't followed the rules to the letter, but I liked the end result. In fact if I worked to the rules strictly, the image would be disqualified
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Fun, Fun, Fun

It was Fun to retouch the image

It was Fun to see how others retouched the same image

and it is Fun to see the voting results.

Regardless of bg changes, white lines, and size , it is FUNNY how the votes are all over the place
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 03:59 PM
The votes count no matter what. AND YES, IT WAS FUN!!! From working on the image to the judging process. I like looking at the different interpretations

I would really like to know how the others worked on their image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Nanls
If you look at post number 5 on this thread, Ro, clarifies the contest criteria, post number 7 is T-paul's agreement. Combine that and the rules set up in the contest tread [/url]
Damn... I didn't see that!
Would be nice if that stood in the Contest-thread!
I think more people missed that part!
But I totaly agree that the contest is for fun. But I also see it as a learning experience. I must admit that I am a little pissed of now I realize that I wasted my time working on the image because I misunderstood the rules.
And please don't think that I am a bad loser. I didn't expect to win all the contests after my last month's score.
But like I said, I see it as a learning experience. If I misunderstand the instructions a client gives me, and he discontinues doing business with me... than that is not fun at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Ah... then, HannibalVector, I suspect you didn't see post number 11 herein either, where our moderator clarifies even more. Yeah, easy to miss AND still somewhat vague -- no mention of the validity of changing the background or what "hiding bra straps" really means, both of which seems to have become controversial during the voting stage.

My concern is not based on winning/losing either, but agree that time spent on a contest (were it solely "just for fun", there'd be no need for a prize -- this IS a competition!) with dubious guidelines (can't say "rules" as there is no apparent enforcement) ends up being quite disheartening. Not to mention that voting is also difficult considering these circumstances.

Additionally, since the "contest" seems to be a major draw for new members, I fear they'll also be put off and dissuaded from further participation. This can't be good for the community.

I mean, gee, this sort of thing is not that difficult to administer.

1. Post general rules for contest entries (see Worth1K, DPChallenge, etc.)
2. Establish specific rules, criteria and guidelines for each specific contest if appropriate.
3. Accept entries until a deadline, but don't show them until then, especially since these contests tend to use a common base and results are comparable. E.g. "I'll wait to submit until the very end so I can tweak my entry based on others' efforts."
4. If an entry is submitted that fails to meet #1 or #2, remove it from the contest. Email the contestant with reasoning for disqualification and perhaps allow another submittal or ???.
5. Reveal all entries to eligible voters all at one time. Don't ID entries with user names as this may enable "popularity" voting -- keep this aspect completely anonymous.
6. Don't reveal any vote results until after voting is closed. Again, this prevents "popularity" voting and the tendency to "go with the flow" if indecisiveness strikes.
7. Voters should be required to "rate" EVERY other entry, perhaps on a 1-10 point basis. This provides feedback for every entrant. The winner then is simply the one garnering the most "points".
8. If there are finishing "places", each place should be awarded a "prize", even if it is only a special certificate issued by the community suitable for framing and display -- legitimate bragging rights, if you will.

Just my 2 cents. This is a discussion forum, right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Im new here. Im keen to vote on this but theres a lot to go through, and I havent had a chance yet.

I guess snapshot is pretty open to interpretation. At the end of the day the ones with the most votes will be the ones who are closest to what was required in most peoples eyes. Too many rules and peoples creativity may be hampered.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 07:17 PM
I might tend to agree with not showing the votes until voting is over....the tendency to go with the flow or vote who you know seems to happen even if I try not to look at names at all. Perhaps hiding the usernames on the images before voting would have the same effect. This is the way they do things on most other sites and there doesn't seem to be these arguments every month. I would be interested to hear what others think.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests