Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Apr 06 Contest Discussion

Old 04-26-2006, 07:25 PM
LonK, A Man After My Own Heart

Your decomposition of requirements into "General Requirements", that is , relating to all contests, only overriden by "Specific Requirements", meaning those additional requirements that apply uniquely, as least for now, to this contest rather than contests in general, .....betrays your educational background, or at least your prediliction to logical deductive thought. (Now, is that a run on sentence or what? It might be most impressive if I knew how to punctuate it.)

As much as I try, its so difficult to retrain myself to think and write and speak as normal, non-intellectually driven people do. (That is a test. If you are angry, maybe even just a little, then you didn't read the above properly. If you chuckled, then you clearly understood it to be the self-deprecating humor that it was meant to be.)

Fact is, I should probably go now. Its 9:30, dinner still hasn't happened, but my aperitifs least twice.

This IS fun!........where is the "drunken sailor" smiley?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Cool My tuppence worth...

Just wanted to pick up on a point that Lonk mentioned in a previous post, about leaving feedback for each entrant. A lot of people have put a lot of time and effort into this competition and I think that it's a shame that there isn't really an avenue for critiquing the entrants, en mass. I don't know about anyone else, but I am really proud of my enterpretation and would love to hear what people think about it to, even if they didn't like it. To me it's all a learning process and surely that's why we're all here.
I entered last months contest and was delighted to hear from Doug Colwell who had taken the time to investigate an issue that had been raised with my entry. I can't tell you how much it meant to me that someone had gone out of their way to help me. That was why I came here and it is why I am still here. So, to try and promote the whole community thing and enter into the spirit of the site I'm going to try to contact everyone who entered and give them my honest opinion on their work, being as constructive as I can, without going off on a tangent.

Please feel free to do the same...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 08:22 PM
I understand there needs to be rules/guidelines to follow, but how do you monitor a contest like this and who would want to? We are all busy and nobody has that kind of time. And everyone has different interpretations. Ya know it is just for fun! I get paid to retouch photos. I'm not getting paid for this, so it just isn't that big of a deal. I do think it is a lot of fun to watch though, like a train wreck waiting to happen, lol. I do have a suggestion: Maybe the contest rules could be posted and discussion thread started sometime prior to the contest. Then everyone can hash out exactly what we are looking to accomplish... just a thought... nobody hurt me okay? lol...

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 08:28 PM
The same arguments every freakin' month. We need a Contest FAQ.

1) This is not a commercial site. We have no revenue or working budget. Also, I am not a programmer, nor am I partners or friends with any programmers. The alternative voting systems, even if I wanted to go that route, would cost thousands of dollars to implement. Instead of asking you to pay for hiring a programmer I ask for your patience, understanding, and help with some of the labor (ie: mucking through all the entries yourself to find your 5 favorites).

2) While this is not a commercial site, this is a "professional" contest (though all levels are welcome). In a professional environment you are expected to work with as little supervision as possible. In fact, in a non-contest environment, excellent output is assumed and what allows one professional to rise above others is all the factors besides artistic talent. Yes, in a real professional environment you can get fired for asking too many questions (notice how employment ads frequently mention "self-starter", "self-sufficient", etc.).

3) Vote with your vote, not with your debating skills. The winner will not only be the best final image, but also the one that most people feel best interpreted the rules. If you're worried your vote will influence other votes, vote on the last day. If you're worried other votes will influence your votes, don't look at the other votes. If you're worried other peoples' votes will influence the votes of others, get a life.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 08:40 PM

Thanks Doug, I think that clears it up! And a big thanks to Caitlin for putting up the photo library to make it easier to sift through all the entries!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 08:51 PM

I would add one further point:

4) If you don't feel comfortable with the guidelines and/or don't agree with them, don't participate.

Very simple.

Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
The same arguments every freakin' month. We need a Contest FAQ.
influence the votes of others, get a life.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 05:18 AM

Thanks so much for the gallery!!!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 05:41 AM

BTW - I didn't put the dimensions of the images in the photo album so people would get too picky about them - it's just a default setting!! *lol*

I do hope that we can continue to debate and express our feelings in these forums though. If we had a life we probably wouldn't be here (just joking!!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 05:57 AM
I can imagin Doug is irritaded right now!
But the reason I was angry was of myself, I am angry on myself because I didn't read the intructions correctly. Although I think the instruction were a little vague this month.
But like I said last month, we can't make any demands because the contest and forum are free.
And other contest rules on other sites have disadvantages too.
If nobody can see what you vote, you can give all the good entries that would be a threat for you a low point, because you don't have to justify your votes.
So I would say, leave the contest as it is. My only suggestion would be:
- More specific instructions in the beginning of the contest thread.
- The moderators can delete entries who obviously didn't obey the instructions.

But this is just a suggetion, not a demand!
I still like the contest, and even when nothing changes, I will join in the future. (maybe not next month, I am on vacation than )

Last edited by HannibalVector; 04-27-2006 at 06:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 06:16 AM
I'll be back.

Read that with an Austrian accient please.

Please forgive my occassional rant. Its just something that sneaks out now and then.

I certainly understand the limitations on resources and the value judgements that must be made. Please take my suggestions as just that.

I am probably in a minority here in that I am neither a hobbiest or a professional. I need to become a professional and make some money at this gig. That's why I am here. And, this seems to be a very unique opportunity for me, so I intend to stay and compete and maybe through myself at the mercy of the critics on occassion.

I was not happy about misunderstanding the rules, but more unhappy with the sloppiness of my submission. Well, live and learn and

Let the games resume.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests