Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Apr 06 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2006, 03:49 PM
1. Bella
2. KVK
3. BobJones
4. aceman
5. WendyBobz
Old 04-23-2006, 06:41 PM
These 5 entries cleaned up the skin well but kept the skin texture intact, still looked like the model even after the retouch. And they don't look cut and pasted.

1. bella - she looks refreshed.
2. doug colwell - I like her tan coloring (on my monitor)
3. gigadals
4. aceman
5. verywierd
Old 04-24-2006, 12:53 AM
I could get it down to a shortlist of about 20 easy - after that it got really tough!

The way I went about judging was first off to reject any where Aylaah's features had been changed significantly. There were quite a few that had narrowed her face or chin, so she didn't look like the same person anymore. Next I looked for clean but natural skin, and subtle makeup. Finally I started rejecting entries based on hair, overall colour, background, clothing etc.

My top 5 were all quite similar, so picking between them was almost impossible!

1. Aceman
2. Bella
3. Palomino
4. Soleah
5. Bob Jones

Honorouble mentions also to: dkcoats, ferdberfel, likenew, doug cowell, onair

I was surprised how many entries left on the white bottom edge!

Last edited by Caitlin; 04-24-2006 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:28 AM
Because there were so many entries, this one was hard to judge, and I may not have given every picture the time and attention it needed. My apologies for my inadequacies as a judge.

Sadly a few entries had to be discounted because they were nowhere near the 800x600 size specification (Terivon, Cybercat, Vikibee, Likenew).

What I looked for was a picture that looked as natural as possible. There were many fine entries, but too many were over polished for what I thought the purpose of the challenge was.

The following are my votes
  • 1st Gigadals Kept strictly to the brief, and produced a beautifully natural result.
  • 2nd Doug Colwell Another natural looking image. Put in second place because of the "extras" added to the image. (loved the effect, but strictly speaking it was outside the brief as I understood it).
  • 3rd Bella Another one with a nice light touch, lighting let it down a touch, which is why I put her third.
  • 4th WendyBobz Not quite as much a "finished" result as Bella, which is what made her fourth.
  • 5th InfiniteMonkey Bit of a wildcard this one. Way off base, but I loved the humour in it, and so had to vote for it.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:26 AM
My preferred entries are following:

1. Bella
2. Soleah
4. Aceman
5. Verywierd

Can't stand to mention Lonk and Camile unusual interpretations, as I like very much a portrait approach to face retouch.

Last edited by OnAir; 04-24-2006 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Comment corrected
Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 PM
It's remarkable to see how every contest the opinions about the contest instructions differ.
The goal was to make Aylaah more flattering while keeping the snapshot look.
When you Improve the looks of someone, it is inevitable that the person's appearance is going to change!
If you for example loose a 100 pounds of bodyfatt in one day, your friends wil not recognize you!
I don't want to offend anybody, Aylaah is not really fatt, but I think that the images with narrowed faces looked better. But hey... that's just my humble opinion.

Or did I not understand the rules correctly?

Anyway.... voting was very difficult. The ones that improved her looks, lost the snapshot look.
The ones that kept it as a snapshot, improved her looks hardly. Some of the images look like there was no more than just a 5 minute healing brush job done.
What's the challenge on that?
So I decided to forget the snapshot issue for the most of my votes and to vote for the ones that improved her looks only.

1 kvk (only one who kept it as a snapshot)
2 camile
3 mig_al
4 vikilee
5 laradfreder

Last edited by HannibalVector; 04-24-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Too many great entries, too hard to choose...

My first entry was on the March contest, there i changed the color and tinted the ferrarri, when everybody abode by the rules, i broke them. When i entered this contest, i decided to abide them.

We all wanted to go further, we all wanted to change the background, but changing it makes it not the original ain't it? Even the simple removing of the white line alters the original. Nobody would have not noticed that white line, but removing it, that you would have to consider.

So, i voted only on those who did not touch the bg and the white.

1. ferdberfel - niiiiccceee!

2. WendyBobz

3. creeduk - a bit too much

4. Photomegus - the blur was a bit too much

5. InfiniteMonkey - i'll have to give it to you man, your ideas are infinite!

Old 04-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Did this the scientific way, Looked at them all and picked the ones I liked best, very hard choice, should be a prize for them all.

1 Doug Colwell
2 terivon
3 Soleah
4 HannibalVector
5 Lorraine
Old 04-26-2006, 09:15 AM
1. Doug
2. Verywierd
3. Bella
4. Nicky666
5. Soleah
Old 04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
This wasn't easy. There was the obvious lack of consensus on what 'snapshot' means, among other things.

I really wanted to vote for somebody who solved the problem of the puky yellow background, but either I found them unbelievable (mine, for example) or too clever by half or lacking in some other area. I was also rooting for anybody who tried to solve the clothes (or lack thereof) problem. It seemed to me that the straps (either set or both) alone without the rest of the garment looked like underwear or a negligee or something no matter what you did to 'em and left us with, well, just too much skin. But, again, I thought most of those who tried to solve the problem fell down in some other area.

And I decided the instructions about image size were clear enough that - sorry - I just flat disqualified anybody who didn't at least come close.

1. soleah: good skin retouch, good clothes fix
2. hannibalvector: good skin, liked the vertical crop
3. peth: best, most believable background change, but is the hair too much?
4. verywierd: nice all around but that shoulder glitch bugged me
5. artfolio: could have used more degrunge, I thought, but good otherwise

And thanks again to Aylaah
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests