Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Apr 06 Contest

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Just a light retouch, kept everything the same except I made her dress strapless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg familytreephoto.jpg (41.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-16-2006, 07:11 PM
First time in forum and first try

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daviskw2.jpg (90.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 04-18-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:54 AM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg retro_retouch.jpg (98.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 04-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Going OTT

Was tipped off about this site earlier today. Needless to say, this is my first attempt. I did have a good read of some of the threads first though... Not too sure if I've got the attachments worked out By the way, all done with PS 5LE as that's all that came with the camera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photomegus.JPG (97.0 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Photomegus; 04-18-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:00 PM

Duplicated background layer and reduced width by 4% using free transform. Cloned away blemishes, wrinkles and unwanted highlights on face. Cleaned up neck line hair and background shadow on wall using clone tool.
Created solid color fill layer with 50% gray. Layer blend to overlay. Using the dodge tool lightened the whites of the eyes a little to brighten up and even out. Using the burn tool, darkened the pupils and defined the iris.
Created new layer set to color blend mode and painted the iris color with a little more saturation.
Created new layer set to screen blend mode. Sampled the iris color and painted a half moon highlight on bottom of eye iris.
Created new layer set to color burn blend mode. Chose a rosey color and painted the lips to darken slightly. Adusted opacity to look good.
Created new layer set to color burn blend mode, and did the same thing with the cheeks to add a little blush color.
Created a new 50% gray fill layer set to overlay and dodged and burned some highlight and shadow to define the cheek amd kneck.
Created new layer and used burn tool with a small brush to darken and define the eyelashes.
Found some hair to paste over for a new look. Adjusted layer style blend mode transparencies to try and get a good blend. Layer mask where needed.
Created a new merged layer, (cntl+Alt+shft+E) and used AutoFx Dream Suite Bonus filter to add a diffuse glow to the image. Then added green channel layer mask to add back some definition, and then painted some more mask to bring back the eye and lip detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg face recvd copy.jpg (98.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 04-18-2006, 12:09 PM
My my, what fun this is.

oh, my gosh. First post and first entry. This is so much fun! Hmmm, now to figure out how to post thumbnails and larger image? Photoshop 7, can't post techniques, as I can't remember what they were. I loved working with this image. So much talent here, I am a bit intimidated. Does she or doesn't she have green eyes?
I wanted to make sure, the young ladies mother would know at a glance her one of a kind daughter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camile.jpg (100.0 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Camile; 04-18-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Here's mine

It is hard not to keep going. I didn't change the background or her hair, since this wasn't a glamor retouch. I did fill the hair in to make it look better. My idea was to bring the viewer into the eyes, so that was my main focus. I also touched up her skin, but left some texture (pores - hard to see at low res... but look close )around her cheeks, where it belongs and gave her lips some color. Cleaned up the straps. Just because it is a snapshot doesn't mean there has to be a nasty shadow. I didn't change any features. I did get the one side 800 px but the other side is a little long, which can be trimmed if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nanls.jpg (66.9 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Nanls; 04-20-2006 at 05:21 PM. Reason: contrast was off
Old 04-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Arrow First time offender

All PS CS2. I sampled her eye color to develop a harmonious color scheme: the purple background and eye-liner; peach dress and lipstick, peachy powder; green eye-shadow. Smoothed her skin using the patch tool. Spent most time on eyes: enhanced her natural eye color, added eye-liner, little eye shadow, added some lashes. I really disliked the framing of the original so, when I found the top, I bumped her up and filled in below as required. Spent lots of time unsuccessfully trying to poof-up the hair and ended up settling for the poney tail. Powdered her face, neck and chest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluedog.jpg (97.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 04-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi All! This challenge really looks deceptively simple. Like everyone else has said it is indeed VERY difficult to stop!

Excuse the very long explanation, I was afraid the too subtle changes will be overlooked.

Our subject has lovely eyes so I decided to focus on that. I changed the catchlights to a more flattering one so that her eyes look more alive. Also did some sharpening mostly around the eyes. Removed some stray eyebrows so that it looks neater. Adjusted the colour so that it is a more natural hazel than a yellow tinged one (due to the walls). Also added a slight touch of flattering light rose eye shadow.

Having done "the focus", I went on to fix the problem areas.

Major problem 1 - harsh shadows/highlights
I lightened the harsh shadow due to the use of flash to produce a gentler shadow. Also burned areas on her neck and face that has highlights due to this. Hotspots are toned down dramatically. It still retains the look of a snapshot.

Major problem 2 - stray hair
I cleaned up all fallen hair on shoulders and around her head. Also fixed the shape of the hair to a more balanced one

Major problem 3 - color/exposure
Lightened the image and warmed the overall tone. More flattering to skintones.

I touched up the skin so that it appears more even now. Although bra-straps can be a feature of an outfit, in this setup it is distracting the viewer from her face, so I decided to remove that too.

As you can see I did not change any of her features. The essence is still her, but the photo is better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artfolio_apr06.jpg (93.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 04-19-2006, 05:16 PM

This is the first time I have posted something - hope I've managed to attach the picture OK. I didn't do anything complicated, mostly cloning tool. I tried to make the photo flattering without it looking obviously retouched.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WendyBobz.jpg (72.9 KB, 57 views)
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests