Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 06 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2006, 04:54 PM
I’ve read through my sons handbook on sketching using different media i.e. graphite, charcoal, conte crayon, black wax, ink wash. Honestly, I’m still not an expert on spotting which is which. I also came across some samples of photorealistic sketch. So to me (and my untrained eye), all the entries here met the requirement. My congratulations to everybody!

This is the toughest contest to judge. How I came up with the ranking, I don’t know.

My favorite:

1. Danny Raphael – Not a hint that it was converted from a picture. The cross-hatching effect was applied very well. The gray is just right for a graphite pencil and the whiteness of paper still shows where it was not drawn. The shadows are subtle and clean.
2. ajava – A skillful combination of filters. Very artistic. The darkened teeth distracted from her beautiful smile. I wish that the whole image is a little brighter.
3. goose443 – I love this one for its artistic rendition. The sheen on the teeth and on the pearls betrays it a little bit. It’s too smooth for a sketch. But then, using the right paper and proper technique, this could be achieved with a hand-sketch.
4. cazubi – A lot of smudging done on this one. The likeness to the subject suffered a little bit. Just like #1, not an indication that it came from a photo. The shadows especially on the face, not too aggressive, just right.
5. twinbnj – It’s probably the hair that did it for me.

The comments above are just base on my personal preference. Mind you, I’d be proud to show these works to the client. The mother would be very delighted.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:55 PM
A entries work fantastic.

I had a hard time picking; won't give a reason, just my vote.

5.T Paul
Old 05-25-2006, 06:36 PM
I chose a dozen or so that appealed most to me, looked at those to see if I thought they looked like photoshop versions of a pencil drawing (as the mother requested), and then chose these as versions that I would most want to receive if I were the mother.

1 - Nanls -- lovely, looks delicate, but complete and finished
2 - northernshadow
3 - Janet Petty
4 - Bart Hickman
5 - Peth
Old 05-25-2006, 08:42 PM

So many fantastic entries! I tried to follow the criteria when picking my top five...needed to look like the original picture and needed to make me believe it was done in pencil. So, here goes...

1. Soleah - just beautiful; very convincing. Nothing distracts the eye; it all flows together perfectly and really looks like a pencil sketch. Great.

2. TPage - Kept coming back to this one. Very nice job.

3. Bart Hickman - Was my first place choice early on; really looks like a sketch to me...maybe just a little too harsh in the transition from black to white, a litte too black.

4. Terivon - basically tied with Cazubi...tough call

5. Cazubi - nice job, so hard to rank them.

Now, there were some other entries that didn't necessarily look like sketches to me, but that I loved and would be proud to own (if the subject were my daughter) - NancyJ, just LOVE that one...beautiful, probably my favorite overall, just doesn't convince me it was done in pencil. And byRo - again, great job, but looks more like dry brush and paint to me.

And Drach - Yours REALLY looks like pencil to me, just strayed too far from the original look of the subject in the photo. Nice, though.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Anyone want to join me for a game of darts with the five names we hit the most to be the winners? I got it down to about 12 names and then had a terrible time paring it down to just five.

This is what did it for me: Those that were very skillful but entirely too dark for pencil, being IMHO more suited to charcoal, sadly had to be disqualified. The challenge was graphite pencil, which depending on the softness of the pencil and the paper type will look a lot of different ways. Therefore, after I looked at technique, etc., it all boiled down to whether or not I liked the piece. Not very analytical or scientific, but quite subjective huh?

1. TPaul
2. byRo
3. DannyRaphael
4. NorthernShadow
5. Krll56

Honorable mention goes to a myriad of others including but not limited to AllanJ (charcoaled); Ajava (looked really like pencil); LaradFreder; Cazubi; Peth; Lonk; CJSwartz; Terivon; BobDown; and mseydel (pencil for sure; but too rough around the edges for my taste).

Old 05-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Cool technique wins out - FIGHT THE MACHINE!!!!

It was interesting to see how many variations on a theme were created within the scope of this brief, yet I was dissapointed to see quite how many people seemed to rely soley on filters to create the desired effect.

I have to agree with Peth on this one, 'art comes from the soul - not from a drop-down menu'. The depressing thing is, most clients would probably not be able to tell the difference, or at least would accept the enterpretation and would walk away half-heartedly wishing they hadn't bothered.

Photoshop et al are just tools. Never forget that. It's how we use these tools that defines our creativity. Personally I'm dreading the day that adobe creates a drop down menu that, in one click, converts photographs into realistic natural media. I don't know about you, but I'm in no hurry to become obsolete.

Positioning myself as an informed client, it was simply a task of selecting entrants that I believed had truely entered into the spirit of the event. From the 7 I identified, these are my top 5.

1: Peth - very effective. One of only a few that chose to crop the image. Nice. Would have benefitted from a bit more detail and contrast in the hair.

2. Tpaul - again very effective. Really didn't like the crop, sorry. Didn't see the reasoning or the need. Detracted from an otherwise stellar creation.

3. Alllan - Absolutely loved this one. Very striking, but unfortunately as I'm finding to my detriment, more of a charcoal effect than graphite pencil. I had to include it though, as it really was one of my favourites, hang the rules...!

4. CathyH - Loved the natural media feel to this one. again, not convinced as to the graphite pencil feel, but as the client I am convinced I would not be dissapointed. Liked the balance from light to dark, with my only criticism being the crop, again detracting from what would otherwise have been a very competent piece.

5. dkcoats - loved the natural media feel to this one. Loved the tilt and crop, though I think it would have looked better rotated counterclockwise to the same degree, but then I would say that...
Would have liked to have seen a bit more detail in the face, but otherwise a very convincing piece.

Remember, we're here to test our abilities, not the softwares'

It's 3.50am, so please excuse my incomprehensible ramblings, back to dreaming about jammy dodgers ...
Old 05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Went through the initial batch and eliminated any that didn't look enough like pencil or that looked too much like a photograph. Then I simply sorted out the five I liked the most and would have wanted to pay money and hang on my wall. I gave less weight to images that looked exactly like a genuine pencil sketch--although I was impressed by them, I prefer the images that strike a balance between preserving the subjects likeness while not looking like a photo.

1. nancyJ_may06 -- very smooth pencil-like drawing and yet somehow avoids looking like a photograph--nice work!
2. CJSwartz -- very good pencil simulation and good likeness, but I don't care for the spots of texture in the hair
3. alllan -- I bit overly-textured, but I love the eyes--would be a striking picture hanging on the wall.
4. retouchpix -- I like the contrast and just liked it even though real pencil might not be so contrasty.
5. Peth -- Very nice rendition. The crop is a nice idea. It's a bit smooth and tilted a bit too much.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:19 AM
1- cazubi
2 - Legacy~Art
3 - Retouchpix
4 - Drach
5 - alllan
Old 05-26-2006, 03:26 AM
Woah, lot's of interesting entries. After first sort-out there were 15 names on my list.

Everything that looked too much like filter or photocopy got sorted out first.

After that there were a lot entries that looked great, but (at least imho) not like a pencil sketch, prime example being CathyH. A pity this contest was not all-style cause this one would have had a high ranking.

Some entries really used an interesting technique, but had something that disturbed me somehow. Prime examples here being byro (can't decide if it's pencil or not), chiroka (would have loved more detail, especially for the eyes), bobdown (too pale imho) and mseydel (she looks ..umm.. old on the picture.. kinda).

Here we go:

1. mseydel (I hate it and I love it. She looks kinda old, but the whole picture looks sooo cool, I can't take my eyes of it)

2. cazubi (reminds me of the style of my old art-teacher at school )

3. byro (I still can't decide if it's pencil or not, but some voice in my head tells me it is. Now if you could just fix that one tooth )

4. bobdown (mmmh.. just a bit darker, but I guess it's a matter of preference)

5. ikroll (It's not what I woud call a traditional sketch, but it looks like pencil. A bit too dark in some areas maybe, but overall good work)

Honorable mentions:

Soleah (This one gave me a hard time. Some areas for some reason remind me of watercolor, really no clue why)
Chiroka (As mentioned above )
MargaretM (Looks like you tried to work on a free-hand sketch (not sure if that is the correct english translation). Definately on the right track )
Naburi (Hey, she is my wife.. I have to do it )
Old 05-26-2006, 07:10 AM
Wow these are getting harder and harder to judge!
narrowing this down to just 5 took some time.

1 - Soleah - overall treatment and effect was number one for me.

2 - Tpaul - love the crop and softness while keeping a pencil look.

3 - Janet Petty - I knew this would make my top 5 the minute it was posted. Very nice lines and the end product looks like a pencil sketch.

4 - Perth - soft with a pencil look.

5 - CJ Swartz - very nicely done good lines.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests