Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 06 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2006, 05:35 PM
May 06 Contest Votes

Voting will run from 25 May to 31 May 2006. Deadline for votes is 6pm EDT 31 May 2006.

Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted. If you did not enter, but would like to comment on an entry, please post your comments to the May 06 Discussion Thread.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order.

Note you cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote.

And as always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!

Last edited by T Paul; 05-01-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Quick Links

May 06 Contest Entries

May 06 Contest Discussion

Viewing Album provided by makeovermagic (temporary link)

If you jump to the end photo #69 -- this is the original image.

NOTE: photo #15 is entry by "familytreephoto" -- there was an error in uploading

Last edited by T Paul; 05-25-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:24 AM
this is by far the most maddening bit of voting i've ever had to do on this site. there were no entries that i could just automatically throw out. NONE! in the end, i had to go by which entries truly convinced me they were pencil and that if i saw these printed out on paper and was asked, solely based on the prints, 'which of these were done in pencil?', and which, if done in pencil did a good job of capturing the image from the photograph, this is what i came up with:

1. Twinbnj (oddly, i knew this one was my first place from almost the beginning. it just looks pencil and it looks like the girl in the photo.)

2. Soleah. i'm really not sure why this is 2nd place to me and not first. i look at it again and again and it looks pencil and it certainly looks like the girl and all i can say is, 'something about the hair and perfect shading strokes.

3. Bob Down. again, i'm not really sure why 3rd place and not higher, but when i look at it compared to 1 and 2, this is where it ends up.

4. Ajava. the perfect cross-hatching bothered me a little bit here. i would have preferred to see more varied strokes. it certainly looks pencil and it certainly looks like the girl, but i just liked the cleaner look of the other top 3 bmore.

5. byRo. i loved the varied strokes in this one, but something about the smudging in the hair just wasnt quite as convincing of pencil as some of the others. if it had just been the face and not the hair, this one would have moved up to a higher slot.

i said it in the discussion thread and i'll say it again here, my exposure to pencil sketches is limited. i studied the images in the link provided by soleah and ken and even my own pencil sketch rendition and that's all i can go by, what i've seen and what i know. i've never felt like apologizing before in one of these votes, but i sort of do in this one. so many excellent entries that anyone having commisioned such a work would have been proud to own regardless of if it were 'pencil' or not. so, if my vote eliminated your entry chalk it up to my limited knowledge of digital pencil sketches.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:10 AM
My take on things

I was privileged to go to art school with some very talented artists when I was younger, each one had their own style, their own techniques, their own vision for their finished pieces. I saw pencil art that varied from very loose pencil drawings through to highly finished, highly detailed. almost photographic pieces.

So my votes reflect that diversity. No one piece looks anything like another/ so in a way each of my finalists scored 5 points in that they convinced me that they could have been pencil drawings or sketches. In fact there were a few others that I could have included but alas there's only room for 5.

Elimination of the others for me was dead easy. Anything that looked like filters had been applied automatically dropped off my list. Sorry guys, full marks for participating but art comes from the soul - not from a drop-down menu. Tell-tale signs were things like cross-hatching going against the flow of the hair or all the strokes going in one direction.

Lastly there were some very nice entries that were superb artistically but looked more like paintings than pencil.

Righto then to the votes. This became quite subjective.

3.Nancy J
Old 05-25-2006, 01:22 PM
First: thank you to Marsha for putting up the gallery...

1. Northernshawdow... it stuck out for me the first time I saw it.
2. Bob Down... a little soft and could use more contrast but I like the overall image.
3. CJSwartz - very well done
4. Doug Colwell - really different, like it.
5. Kr1156.. works
There were so many wonderful entrie... honorable mentions: chrishoggy, JanetPetty, Lorraine, allen, NancyJ, and auroraskye... geez, what a contest!

Old 05-25-2006, 01:27 PM
This was very difficult to judge, especially with so many entries. I've got a list of about 15 names and putting them in order was excruciating.

#1 T Paul - stunning, last minute entry, would have liked to have seen a few sharper strokes adn I dont like the vignette but overall it was the strongest combination of artistry and sketch style
#2 Soleah - very emotive, however some of the darker strokes are a bit too contrasty and a little splotchy, would have like to have seen them blend better with the rest of the image
#3 twinbnj - gets 3rd place because its nice but theres something not quite right about it - like a piece of tracing paper has been put over the top (possible a high-pass side effect) and if you took it away you'd have a perfect winner
#4 Cazubi - very believable, though it looks more like a rubbing than a sketch, just lacking a little sometihng artistically
#5 msydel - hands down the most 'sketchy' but the style isnt to my taste, it would be more suited to fantasy drawings or wildlife, I think it lacks the delicacy and sensitivity of a portrait, particularly for the girls mother. I dont think it is flattering to the subject and the heavy, separated lines make her face look hairy

other names on my list that didnt quite make it into the top 5, though on a different day they might have, terivon, 1stlite, Janet Petty, byRo, 226, KR1156

and honerable mentions to Peth and Cathy H for stunning peices of artistry that just lost out in the sketch department, I've no doubt that a real client would have been thrilled with your entries and not at all bothered about your choice of medium.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Okay. Not an easy choice. But here are my favorites (it's hard enough PICKING a favorite- let alone ORDERING them!!- but one has to comply to the rules). I had a list of about a dozen names, but I finally choose my final 5 for ones that rlooked like a pencil drawing- and not just endless photoshop filters (which I was guilty of myself) ...

1. bobdown- LOVE the high key!!
2. northern shadow
3. Tpage
4. Janet Petty
5. twinbnj
Old 05-25-2006, 03:17 PM
It wasn't easy to understand, what technique will be right for the photo: 'sketchy' look gives feeling of something incomplete, that is obviously not in a character of the girl on the photo. Smudging technique gave perfect results, so my preferences are:

1.NancyJ - I like finishing touch, good work on details, absolutely nothing distracting, great job.
2.Infinite Monkey - good definition in skin tones, good overall contrast.
3.Ikroll - Unusual interpretation. I love contrast between dark strokes and soft, almost watercolor tones on skin and in background. Interesting just to look at the technique, but still a well thought-out and intelligent portrait.
4.Peth - Soft, well-taken portrait. I would love to see more job on the background and hair.
5. mseydel2 - It really looks like a pencil! Also I like pragmatical primitivism as a style.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:50 PM
This was really tough! Probably the hardest contest to judge since I've been here. So many wonderful versions. I pretty much got down to 5 and then threw darts.. LOL

1. Chiroka
2. Solea
3. Kraelin
4. Terivon
5. Naburi_blast
Old 05-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Though I loved many of the solutions as finished pieces, I didn't find them entirely convincing as pencil sketches. My own interpretation is that the piece would be a '1st submit' to the client, where they would indicate personal taste to inform the final. By let's end my editorial, and get to the voting:

1. soleah. soft approach overall which really brought out the eyes; felt like a lot of care had been taken with this, and it was an approach that I appreciated.
2. northernshadow. a touch too 'noisy overal'l, as if it were done with a sharp pencil on coarse paper. I expected to see more texture in the hl's though.
3. goose 443. very loose, playful style that felt more like a sketch and less like a filter; this added personality.
4. Infinite monkey. very nice work here, great contour of the face. If the contest had been charcoal sketch, this would be #1.
5. nancyJ. Great overall look; aesthetically this one appealed to me the most, but I found it hard to believe as a 'pencil sketch'. Those small details and deep darks would be very difficult to achieve with a graphite pencil.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests