RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 06 Contest Discussion

Old 05-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Janitor

Recreational semantics is called "baiting".
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 03:37 PM

I had actually thought of doing something like Craig did, but decided not to. This was on the grounds that we are supposed to be using our software to create this effect as digital retouchers/restorers/artists. We are not supposed to be graphite media artists working from a photo.

Thats my thought on it, and my brain hurts too. Best get myself a drink to make my legs wobble
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
by the way, here is the first line of the contest rules, which is what i was going by:
Quote:
The client: A mother has brought you this photo of her daughter and wants it turned into a graphite pencil sketch.

craig
LOL Craig. Now did mom find you in the yellow pages listed as "Kraellin's Traced, Manipulated, Simulated Graphite Pencil Sketches"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 03:38 PM

Sorry, Craig didnt mean to pick on you but there were a few dead giveaways
The nose was what first made me suspect - noses are really hard to do, even when tracing
Ofcourse the biggest giveaway was the edges of the paper and your bottom left corner got turned over a little when you scanned it

Whether doing a mix and match is 'cheating' well, thats a grey area...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin

by the way, here is the first line of the contest rules, which is what i was going by:
craig
it also says this:
Quote:
This month the challenge is to turn the provided photo into a digital graphite pencil (grey tones not color) sketch on white paper.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 04:25 PM

I tend to agree that as long as it's on the computer it's digital, who cares how it was done. We don't question the quality of a work of art based on how it was accomplished. Instead we look at the final product. I think it would be a shame to penalize creativity in process. As long as the final result is convincing, I think it is up to each person to find the most effective way for them of getting there. This is a very interesting multi-disciplinary contest and I think it would be good for everyone to keep it that way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 06:11 PM

DQ Warning

Soulsys,
Your current contest entry does not meet the rules. You must include your username as part of the file name. Please correct this to prevent your entry from being disqualified.

Quote:
3. When you submit your entry put your username in the file name (ie: tpaul.jpg). This is so users can save the images to a local directory and remember who did what--important when it comes time to vote.
Update: Entry has been corrected.

Last edited by T Paul; 05-17-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose443
We don't question the quality of a work of art based on how it was accomplished. Instead we look at the final product.
There are some entries here already that look to be really good examples of photorealistic drawings. While I doubt that anyone invested the time to actually produce a photorealistic drawing, if I 'knew' that was the case then my judgement on the quality of work would definately be based on how it was accomplished - and if I knew a 10 second filter produced the same result I'd be less impressed by the final product.

How art is made is a big part of it's value. That's why some artists spend hundreds or even thousands of hours producing photorealistic images that always fall a little short of a photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Colwell
There are some entries here already that look to be really good examples of photorealistic drawings. While I doubt that anyone invested the time to actually produce a photorealistic drawing, if I 'knew' that was the case then my judgement on the quality of work would definately be based on how it was accomplished - and if I knew a 10 second filter produced the same result I'd be less impressed by the final product.

How art is made is a big part of it's value. That's why some artists spend hundreds or even thousands of hours producing photorealistic images that always fall a little short of a photo.
Though I mainly use filters (had to do some hand smudging on this one, but still over 85% filter work and layer property adjustments), I've spent well over 4 years perfecting various techniques. We are in the digital age, so if we can take advantage of the tool we are working with (i.e., computer), then all that matter's the end result. Just have some fun doing it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2006, 09:07 PM

Ikroll, I'm not selling the digital way short. Apart from photo realism I think the challenge of the contest is alot more difficult to achieve convincingly using filters and techniques than it would be for a drawer to draw. But I think Frank, Craig, Goose443 and you are right when it comes down to judging this contest - if it looks like a duck, I'll vote for it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests