RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 06 Contest Discussion

Old 05-10-2006, 06:19 PM

There are so many nice entries and interesting variations.
I used the Trimoon (trimoon.com) sketch tutorial off of a cd that I purchased and added some variations. I started with a desaturated layer, added some grain (soft) and then added some angled strokes using the lighting effects and a trimoon preset that was provided on the cd. I then dodged and burned to bring out highlights and contrast. I then added a white paper texture layer and used the eraser tool with a rough brush and 35% opacity to "sketch" in the drawing. I use a Wacom tablet which allowed me to really feel like I was sketching.

I am glad to see so many entries in this contest, and I think that the voting will be very difficult this time.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2006, 06:55 PM

DQ Warning

Dan Ryan ,

Your current contest entry does not meet the rules.

Quote:
From the Rules:

5. Your final image size must be exactly 800 pixels high and 600 pixels wide.

7. Only one entry per person. You can change your entry up to the deadline.

From FAQs… Note you are not allowed more than one entry so you will have to replace your original entry or delete it. If there are more than one entry per person at the end of a contest, all entries for that person will be disqualified.
Please correct this to prevent your entry from being disqualified.

~Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 12:50 PM

I have to say this:
I've just looked through the entries to date, and one of them (I will not say who) stands out above all others for me. It's a WOW factor that caught my eye the second I could see the thumbnail view in the thread.
Cracking contest
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
I have to say this:
I've just looked through the entries to date, and one of them (I will not say who) stands out above all others for me. It's a WOW factor that caught my eye the second I could see the thumbnail view in the thread.
Cracking contest
Thumbnails can be misleading, I find that a lot in these contents, some look great in the thumbnail but not so good in the closeup, and vice versa.
I've seen some fabulous artistic renderings that lose out because they dont look like pencil sketches, qute a few that I've seen are very inky.
If I was voting on the most artistic I'd come out with a very different set of results to my votes for this contest.
So far I'm making a list of the best artistry and the best pencil sketches, where the 2 lists overlap is where my votes will go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
Thumbnails can be misleading......
This recent thread shows some striking examples of the difference between big and small views of the same image.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I've seen some fabulous artistic renderings that lose out because they dont look like pencil sketches
Yeah thats gunna be the main problem for me. Although one stands out for me, I'm unsure about it's look as far as scetch goes. I will wait until the end, then compair the entries against a few real scetches. Then look for things that I can see in both the real and photo/created image (if that makes sense )
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 03:51 PM

it's tough since graphite by it's very nature is very adaptable and can take the form of may different styles. You can have very sharp, delineated pencil marks in hatch patterns that begin to immitate ink drawings ( though with considerably less contrast) or you can have very "smudgy" drawings that take on a look of charcoal or conte crayon (though more silvery). Then there are all those in between stokes & smudges. Although there is definitely a line between graphite/charcoal or graphite/ink, it is easy for it to become blurred depending on the technique. I think it's important to keep an open mind as to what could and could not be achieved with graphite.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose443
it's tough since graphite by it's very nature is very adaptable and can take the form of may different styles. You can have very sharp, delineated pencil marks in hatch patterns that begin to immitate ink drawings ( though with considerably less contrast) or you can have very "smudgy" drawings that take on a look of charcoal or conte crayon (though more silvery). Then there are all those in between stokes & smudges. Although there is definitely a line between graphite/charcoal or graphite/ink, it is easy for it to become blurred depending on the technique. I think it's important to keep an open mind as to what could and could not be achieved with graphite.
I'm well aware of what can be achieved with graphite, my personal style is smudgy and messy - I was tempted to add some artificial finger prints and smudges onto mine (they're all over my real work lol) but some of the entries, despite being fantastic pieces of art are defiantely merging over into the realm of ink & wash or felt-tip pen. I'm not looking to see every pencil line but dry medium flow and move very differently to wet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
This recent thread shows some striking examples of the difference between big and small views of the same image.

Yes, I remember seeing that the other day - shame I cant get more than 2 feet from my screen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Here's a second attempt. It's a very different direction from my first one but it's definitely a graphite sketch. I dont remember all the steps but I'm sure I used mostly noise and blur. I also added a harp as an artistic embelishment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl.jpg (31.0 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests