Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

October 06 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2006, 03:35 PM
October 06 Contest Votes

Voting will run from 25 October to 31 October 2006. Only those with entries may vote. Deadline for votes is 6pm EST 31 October 2006. (Don't forget the Daylight Saving Time change.)

Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted. If you did not enter, but would like to comment on an entry, please post your comments to the October 06 Discussion Thread.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order.

Note you cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote.

And as always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!

Last edited by T Paul; 09-17-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Re: October 06 Contest Votes

For easier viewing, makeovermagic has been kind enough to create a temporary web album...

October Contest Entries
Old 10-24-2006, 09:20 PM

Tough picking. Good entries out there. Additional thanks to Makeovermagic for setting up the web album!

1. Lorraine. Great use of texture
2. Squggle. Love the eyebrows and subtle backround elements
3. Cassidy. Cool skull effect
4. CyberCat. Crazy textures. Reminds me of the original exorsist!
5. Doug Colwell. Cool to see it go in the other direction! Great hair highlights too.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:41 AM

Well as usual there was a whole lot of interesting entries in this months contest, and it was hard to make a choice, everyone who entered is a winner. In the end I just went with personal opinion, rather than any more constructive method.

1st DVaught The rules called for photo realistic, and I thought this entry caught that best. The skin texture and deformity were wholly believable. One minor criticism, the girl's blouse was a little too bright for the lighting with the background that was chosen.

2nd Lorraine Caught that "Midnight in the Graveyard" feeling wonderfully, you can almost smell the rotting skin.

3rd Cazubi Like the B&W concept, with just that bit of colour to draw your attention to the eyes and mouth. A real "Hammer Horror" this one.

4th DColwell Great idea to take the original picture the other way, and make the gothic look more "normal", then take the "normal" girl and transform her.

5th IrshgrlKC Just so OTT I had to vote for it.

Thanks to MoM for the gallery.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:11 AM

It was fun to see so many different interpretations of this theme. I had a very tough time picking the top 5 from so many good entries

1. dvaught – Wonderful work on creating the skin texture and good background choice for the Halloween theme. I like the fact that you didn’t go for vampire teeth, but left her teeth rather normal looking (good work chipping them, by the way). I think that her shirt could be been a little more roughed up, but that’s just my opinion.

2. irshgrlkc – Great distortion of the face and good cracked skin textures. She really looks like “death warmed over” as a zombie should.

3. Flora -- The coloring, backlighting and shading give this a very eerie feeling. Great work on her skin and shirt. It looks like decay is starting to set in.

4. Cazubi – Excellent choice of background and placement of the components. Nice work on the skin color and shading.

5. Lon K. – I like the entire composition. The girl isn’t as zombified as some other entries, but the concept as a whole works well.

Congratulations to everyone who entered.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:20 AM

Lots of great entries here, really hard to list 5 but here goes.

1. Dvaught - most realistic foreground image I think
2. Doug Colwell - Love the image being used as an alter-image, nice normalisation of the front image.
3. Lorraine - both foreground and background well suited which gives added atmosphere.

Phew! - gotta find another 2!

4. Cazubi - Like the perspective of the building and colour vs. bw areas
5. Squaggle - probably something to do with the small razor teeth and my kids don't like the look of that one

Thanks for such an easy to view web album, trully excellent

Last edited by Cassidy; 10-25-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:38 AM

1. lurch - this is most likely the most “photo realistic” though matching the face and neck skin tones would have made it better. And thank you for changing the item of clothing shes wearing!
2. cazubi - I like the perspective you gave your piece, great teeth too. I think if you matched the skin tone to the grey of the background it would have been more realistic.
3. Doug Colwell – The two heads was a great idea, the neck was blended nicely, but the evil head is masked too much. Nice job on the dark make up removal.
4. Flora – I really like the blood running down the forehead it just looks like you can reach out and touch it. The matching eyes are great too. A bit much saturation on the teeth though.
5. Lorraine – The skin is amazing! Gives me Resident Evil flashbacks...
Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 PM

The entries were great this contest and each one had really good effects. I picked the ones that I thought still remained somewhat like photos.

1. dvaught: You did a very nice job on the skin and integrating the figure into the background.

2. Lorraine: You made her very scary, Gross skin!

3. Flora: Nice background, special effects, and use of color.

4. makeovermagic: Good special effects.

5 Doug Colwell: More psychological than ghoulish but you did a great job.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:19 AM

Great gallery MakeOverMagic.

This was a fun contest and everyone did such a good job, but here are my favorites...

1) dvaught: The distoration and skin texture of her face is excellent, I really like this one.

2) Lorraine: Great job on texture and making the blouse look as if it too is beginning to rot away.

3) CyberCat: Great job rotting the side of her mouth and showing the tendons behind her. She looks like she is a fan of Jackson Pollack with her spatter shirt, only she uses blood instead of paint. :P

4) Squggle: Yay, brains, love that you have her face peeling back a la Silence of the Lambs, and boy she has a lot of teeth.

5) Cassidy: I think you did a great job on this one, very nice integration of a skull with her face. Yucky! Makes my skin crawl thinking about worms on my neck.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:08 PM

1. cazubi
2. doug colwell
3. flora
4. viira
5. dvaught
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests