Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

May 07 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 PM
May 07 Contest Votes

Voting will run from 25 May to 31 May 2007 . Deadline for votes is 6pm EDT.

Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted. If you did not enter, but would like to comment on an entry, please post your comments in the May 07 Contest Discussion Thread.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order.

You cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote.

And as always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!
Old 05-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Re: May 07 Contest Votes

1. Marthig - Everything comes together to make something more than the sum of the parts. The low cat's eye perspective (defined by foundation line) is contradicted by the table top (should show slightly underside rather than topside). Cup might be a bit big.
2. Cazubi - Colours look great and shadows are excellent. Chair and table edges a bit ragged, and wall could use a more even treatment.
3. RaccIria - Very nice soft light mood, and expertly integrated. The grass and hilites look great but painted. Not sure many homeowners would cover that nice stonework with stucco, and woodgrain should follow the long dimensions.
4. CathyH - The most natural/photo look to me, except foreground wall and the flowers look blurred.
5. Lorraine - Everything looks photo-real, except the end-table looks too dark and fuzzy for something out in direct sun. Also shadows suggest sun is shining from top left corner, right corner and directly overhead.

Last edited by Doug Colwell; 05-26-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:40 AM

This is really, really hard, I used the yard post as "reality" of photo, so in my books the only one that complies is
1. CathyH, despite a poor blend of flowers and vine
2. I think ScubaMargie is most aesthetic despite not liking the mushroom table and vase blending
3. I give to Lorraine for conformance, but it looks illustrated to me
4. I give to Swampy as it has a nice feel
5. I give to Marthig as I'd like a coffee cup that big
Old 05-26-2007, 11:59 AM

OK this is my fourth attempt, have problems with my PC and freezes if I make too many screen changes.
As I said in one of my lost posts and I think we all agree it is very difficult to tell which is best but decisions have to be made. My guide was, how photo-like and compliant to sketch each submission is.

1 - Scuba Margie, like how the light on the wall and the table give it a feeling of true photo

2 - CathyH - it does look like a photo except for the lighting on the ivy, but maybe it was more exposed to the sun ?

3 - Doug Colwell - love the detail of the shoes, and the rest of the details, except for the vase and the flowers, could really look like a photo.

4 - Cazubi - Enjoyed the beach ambience and it has a photo look though of a rather bizarre looking place

5 - Lorraine - Nice assembly of the elements, I find some discrepancies in the shadows and the chair seems rather too big (but that is a matter of opinion of course)

And below my HO about the submissions of the rest of the participants

6 - DeeDee - yours is the first one I saw and left me quite impressed, now that everybody's pieces are so good had to "nit-pick" and the perspective is not quite in agreement. I still love the mood of your outdoor living room
7 - Cassidy - As good as all the others my only observacion would be the colours of the chair and table, they seem too bright or not consistent to the lighting in the place they are.
8 - Elohssa - Overall good composition, there are discrepancies regarding light and the flower is blurry.
9 - Kraellin - lovely disposition and lighting but looks too artificial as if lighted from that "aplique" on the wall above the table
10 - Racc Iria - I liked the whole composition too, the reflection of some hills in the window and in general, though a bit on the "dreamy" side, could be a photo, what I didn't like is the grass that there is no doubt it is drawn, so there goes the photo impression IMHO

Special mention to:
- ByRo, that render is fabulous I noticed the moss stains you added to the base of the wall :applause:

- Martha

Last edited by Marthig; 05-26-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: add a comment
Old 05-26-2007, 12:23 PM

This was a tough decision. All versions were great and to rank them was difficult. Congratulations to all who braved this month's contest.

1. Racciria: Excellent perspective and proportions. I think the trellis could use a little more light and the grass needs mown. :-)
2.Lorraine: The tree shadow on the wall sells this one
3. Dcolwell: Gotta be morning sun. Excellent shadows and the transparency of the vase shadow is wonderful. I think the boots could use a little more saturated saturation.
4. Cazubi: Excellent "theme", but the trellis and vine execution needs work.
5. byRo: Love the composition (even the flower petal on the deck.. nice touch.) The cast shadows of the vine over the chair may be a bit long in relation to the trellis being so close to the wall.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:52 PM

ScubaMargi - Best photorealistic, cute design.
Cazubi - Love the over all color and theme
Marthig - very good compositing, I looked at the photo you used to put this together, that was great
Racca - very well done, but it looks computer rendered
byRo - also very well done, and cleaver with the photo and sketch on the table, but it looks rendered and not enough like a photo.

It was a fun project, and it took most of the time looking for all the pieces.
Great job everyone.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:27 PM

The task to turn the sktech into a photo was a real challenge. I have voted for the following pictures because they seem to be the most like photos to me.

1: Cathy H, I would love a courtyard like that.
2: Doug Colwell, love the boots.
3: Marthig, I like the cat but the vine seems to be a little blurred.
4:Racc Iria, cool perspective but the flowers and cup seem to be painted.
5:Cassidy, the old chair and table impressed me with this one.

This month's contest was fun. I really enjoyd all aspects of it. It has produced some very good artwork from everyone, well done.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:26 PM

The final result should pass for an actual photo.
well, that's what i'm voting on.

1. Scubamargie. total photo. well done on fixing the vines!

2. Marthig. could have been first cept for the vines. great composition!

3. Racc Iria. the grass and vines didnt work for me. otherwise, great!

4. CathyH. loved the wall and windows. table and chair seemed quite small and the vine didnt look cut in right on the lower, right half.

5. Elohssa. the window seemed off here, perspective, size, or a combination of both. wasnt quite buying all of the wall either. great shadows. the trellis being off to the side but way in the forefront didnt work for me either. liked the crack(s) in floor and wall. floor was quite convincing also.

XXX: had the criteria not been 'photo', my voting would have been totally different. doug colwell, swampy, byRo, and cazubi's would have all been in the running, but each of those looked more like paintings than photos. excellently done, but not as 'photo' as the ones i voted for. and lorraine, loved the overall, but that chair was just too large and the shadows were going in different directions. and cassidy, things looked a bit too grainy overall and the vines looked overly sharp.

overall, a remarkable set of entries
Old 05-28-2007, 04:35 AM

There are exceptional elements in all of the entries. In voting, I chose the five I thought are the most photo realistic and true to the guidelines.

1. Cazubi -- Can feel the texture of the sand. Good lighting and shadows, especially the overhead shadow. The colors are great, as is the stucco texture. The composition has a very real quality.

2. Doug Colwell – The lighting and shadows are great. The trellis, vine and vase look very realistic. The stucco wall and boots, while adding to your photo theme, to me, look more painted than photographed.

3. Marthig -- Good combination of all elements resulting in a realistic photo. The building texture really stands out. It’s a little lacking in shadows, and the table top looks less sharp than the bottom.

4. Racc Iria – The entire photo composition is very good. Lighting, shadows, cup vase and window are particularly well done. The only problem I see is the grass looks painted.

5. Scuba Margie -- Great use of shadows and light. All elements are combined well, except the ivy. To me looks too large and elongated.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 AM

1. CathyH - Looked the most like a photo.

2. ScubaMargie - Seemed second most like a photo, but the mushroom table
and the items on it were the weakest part.

3. Marthig - Liked the low angle, but the cat looked like it was floating a bit.

4. Cazubi - Felt more like a painting, but liked the composition and colors.

5. Lorraine - Had a lof of potential. Would have been much higher on my list if the perspective of the different objects matched.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests