Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

June 07 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2007, 02:48 PM
June 07 Contest Votes

Voting will run from 24 June to 30 June 2007. Deadline for votes is 5pm EDT.

Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted. If you did not enter, but would like to comment on an entry, please post your comments in the June 07 Contest Discussion thread.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order.

You cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote.

And as always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!
Old 06-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Re: June 07 Contest Votes

It sure is more difficult to vote with so few entries, but then again, it does allow one to scrutinize entries a bit more closely. Here's my humble opinion.

RE: Reinterpret Salvador Dali’s “Persistence of Memory” for modern times.

1. Photomaster - Conveys surrealism in a modern context interestingly, vibrant color, highly graphic/illustrative flavor. I feel the artifacts/elements are too evenly distributed making the composition little more than a random collection that's a tad flat. The core theme may be too disjointed. The walking hand, balancing the apple core is precious. Care to share your thoughts on that?
2. CathyH - I see a consistent theme, good use of color, nicely suggestive elements and a considered realization of depth. Composition is somewhat static. I don't feel "beauty" is necessarily a modern issue, though that background mountain range is, may I say, quite titillating!
3. dcolwell - Technically and aesthetically spot on. Excellent depth. However, it seems like just a remake of the theme image with an analog/digital swap of clock/calendar. Nice liquid manipulation goin' on there.
4. Swampy - Very much representative of modern 'puter technology. Not surreal, but very real (with just some physical distortions?). I think this is more of a simple montage. IOW, I like it, but it doesn't do the contest criteria as well as expected. I take it you've been a Mac afficionado for some time?
5. zekeode - I love the composition, but it's just not surreal (montage). The focal point, the classic car, while hot, is certainly not modern and doesn't quite connect with the techno theme. While bordering is OK sometimes, I'm not a fan of digital framing. That's a 60s-something Buick, innit? Love the wide whitewalls!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 AM

Love the renderings and thought processes of this month's entries. Well done by all.

1. Doug Cowel - Has all the starkness of a Dali
2. Photomaster - Excellent composition with great depth
3. Lonk - Very "drippy" :-)
4. Cathy H - Great theme and colors
5. Scuba Margie - I don't get it, but it's cool. LOL
Old 06-25-2007, 11:01 PM

I am disappointed to see so few entries in this month’s contest. I found it to be a lot of fun, artistically challenging as well as a satisfying learning experience. Over the years, I have discovered that the fastest way to become proficient with any software package is to tackle an actual project. The mere fact of having to create something that does not exist forces one to formulate a concept or design in the mind. The pay off comes as you figure out how to make that concept a reality using the software you have at your disposal . Thanks to all who participated.

1. Swampy: Nice design and use of imagery. Good compositing. Found the linear use of icons a bit gratuitous. Obviously an Apple fan.
2. LonK: Colorful, creative and bizarre, all the characteristics of a Dali painting. Love the “popseagull”!
3. Scubamargie: Dali could have done this: distant horizon; use of deformation to draw the viewer into the scene; makes no logical sense whatsoever but is artistically sound except for the absence of shadows.
4. dcolwell: A bit to photographic for a typical Dali; although he did use photo composites later in his career. Nice deformations.
5. CathyH: Good use of color and nice compositing. Is that the Painter can? Could have used a few more artifacts. The drop shadow on the bust tends to limit depth in the image.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:37 AM

>Found the linear use of icons a bit gratuitous.

PM... that's the Apple Dock, analogous to your PC task bar. :-) But you are right, I'm a Mac bigot. The creative mind of Steve Jobs (and "The Woz") just blows me away. Not only the functionality of Apple stuff, but the design aspect that goes into every product. Can't wait to get my hands on an iPhone Friday to "check it out".
Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 PM

yup, i'm drooling over the iphone too and i've not fallen for a 'gadget' in a LONG while. (sorry, hijack over )

and btw, nice entries, all!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:10 AM

1. Dcolwell
2. Photomaster
3. Lonk
4. Oltenius
5. Scubamargy

This was a very tricky contest. Everyone did a great job.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:19 PM

This months comp was fun and very educaional for me. I didn't know exactly what surealism was. Everyone one has done some nice work, well done.

1: Photomaster
2: Lonk
3: Doug Colwell
4: CathyH
5: oltenius
Old 06-29-2007, 12:44 PM

1. LonK
2. Photomaster
3. Doug Colwell
4. ScubaMargie
5. oltenius

I was way off with my contest entry. Sorry about that. Next time i pay more attention, and post my entry after i'm 100% sure what the contest is about.

Sorry again
Old 06-29-2007, 01:33 PM

A pleasure to see your artworks!
My vote goes to:
1. Doug Colwell
2. Photomaster
3. Scuba Margie
4. LonK
5. CathyH
Best wishes,
Closed Thread