RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

July Contest Discussion

Old 07-14-2007, 10:09 AM

Re: July Contest Discussion

I believe the way the website software works, that you have to be logged in to view the images. So it's odd that you can see some of the images while not being logged in. I'll pass this onto Doug.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 AM

Just a guess here, but could that viewing issue be due to the page having been in cache, especially since Jugglers and Splatas were the last two entries and possibly not have been posted since the last visit?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2007, 07:34 PM

Emily, I have that problem also. The quality of my uploads are never as good as when they are viewed on my computer. I had to reduce my pixel size down to 34% for it to be able to fit.

There are some great entries . . . as usual. I used all eight of the photos and I found a great technique to smooth or feather edges so they won't look so sharp. I know about the featherer in PhotoShop, but sometimes it doesn't work for me. Some of you may already know about this one, but I have found no matter how much I think I know about Photoshop there is another way to do things.

First you select your image (Select - Load Selection), then you do a layer mask (you should just have the outline of the selection). Then you go to Filter - Blur - Gaussian Blur and set the pixels to what you need. TaDaaa, and you're done! Nice and simple and it works on any shape. Like I said though, some of you probably already knew about this, so for everyone else, another neat trick you can use in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 08:42 AM

Ms Bay, Smoothing edges on a selection is important when compositing photos and your above method is good, but there is more. When you have a mask of a selection, first do a levels and choke or spread the edges using the gray slider. Since this only effects the edges of the mask you can see what you are doing in the image. Then run the gaussian blur after the levels. The levels selection will help eliminate any fringing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 PM

Warning

linus_photo

Great entry but....

To avoid disqualification please resubmit your photo in accordance with the rules

Quote:
Final image must be exactly 800px wide and 600px high.
also

Quote:
5. ...Links will not be accepted.
Entry has been updated

Last edited by T Paul; 07-21-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpressd View Post
I am new to this site and starting back into Photoshop after a rest. I have a question on viewing the images that are in the contest. When viewing the contest entry images, only Jugglers and Splatas images needed me to be logged in to view.
The rest of the contest entries just opened without signing in. Does anybody know why?
I hope to try for a contest entry in a day or two. Thanks for any info on this question.
dp

lcramer53 is correct. You must be logged in to view the images so any images that you see when not logged in are most likely from your cache, held over from the last time you were logged in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2007, 04:17 PM

Re: Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Paul View Post
linus_photo

Great entry but....

To avoid disqualification please resubmit your photo in accordance with the rules [...]
and

4. When you submit your entry put your username in the filename (ie: tpaul.jpg). This is so users can save the images to a local directory and remember who did what--important when it comes time to vote.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 02:54 AM

Thanks to everyone pointing out what to do and what not to do, I were in somewhat of a rush (lunch breaks are too short!) and I will read the rules better next time
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2007, 03:15 AM

Swampy see . . . what did I tell ya! Someone always knows a better way to do things in Photoshop. Thanks a bunch, I will intergrate your suggestion into what I'm already doing. So, so much to learn, but oh, so much fun! I love this site!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 PM

To help with voting here is a temporary link to the entries in Photo Album format:

July Entries
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests