RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Aug 07 Contest Discussion

Old 08-15-2007, 08:38 PM

Re: Aug 07 Contest Discussion

Thanks Doreen

I'm new here and trying to decide whether to even enter the contest! I'll give it a shot anyway.

Yes, it's a poorly exposed image, scan, etc, etc., That's what people give me and say "Help! It's the only shot we have!" I'm happy to make even crap into better crap.

Lynnette
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 AM

Re: Aug 07 Contest

Thought I'd have a try as well.

Arrgghhh!! Now it won't let me post my image. I had put the wrong file name on my image, changed it, then uploaded but no image appeared. When I tried to upload again it said that the file was already attached .........No it isn't LMAO

Last edited by Alison; 08-16-2007 at 03:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2007, 11:05 AM

Ant said he hadn't looked at Kraelin's pic, and then went on to say that not one of the contest entries was any good. Maybe he could share his technique of evaluating pictures without looking at them? It'd be a real time saver.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2007, 02:54 PM

How does one evaluate so many entries in this month's contest? Here is a tip that will make it easy for you Windows users. This may be basic stuff to many of you, but may help others.

1. In Windows Explorer, create a folder on you hard drive named "Aug Contest" or similar.
2. After the contest closes, download all of the entries to this folder. (This will insure you have all of the latest edits.) To do this, open each entry in RetouchPRO, then right click on the photo and select "Save image as". Navigate to the "Aug Contest" folder and click "Save".
3.When all of the photos are safely on you hard drive, in Windows Explorer, right click on any picture and select "Properties". Select "Opens With" and choose "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" if this is not your default viewer.
4. Now, to view a photo, double click on the image. The picture will open in "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer". Now you can move from one picture to the next using the right or left arrow keys. To view the larger version, click on the "Actual Size" button at the bottom of the screen.
3. Next create a new subfolder entitled "Favorites". As you review the entries, click and drag your favorites to this folder.
4. In the "Favorites" folder you can now click and drag images to arrange them in your order of preference and they will remain in this order unless you move them again. In "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer," using the right and left arrow keys, you can quickly move back and forth between images to compare them. At any time you can go back to Windows Explorer and rearrange images by clicking and dragging.

Using this method it simple to compare images and decide on your favorites. I hope this helps you sort through the many great entries for this month's contest. Good luck to all!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2007, 10:30 PM

Thanks Photomaster for the idea, I was trying to think of a way to do it but couldn't.

Well said Kraellin. I agree with you. When I read his post it did actually make me feel as if I wasn't good enough. I then went and looked at the entries and thought that they looked cool to me. Sure we are not pros and I know I am still learning, and always will with photoshop. It is comments like his that destroy,(not sure if that is the right word here), peoples' confidence.

It is a shame ANT that you put your post the way you did. You came across to me like the ALMIGHTY of retouching but you won't even dain to get your fingers dirty and show off your magnificence. I would like to see an entry from you, show us how the ALMIGHTY operates!

Oh, and maybe you can fill us all in on how you did your work and then maybe we can be as good as you.

Last edited by ScubaMargie; 08-17-2007 at 10:31 PM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2007, 03:46 PM

I wasn't going to enter this month, but the discussion was too much for me not to be able to say something.

To Ant -- Some of your points are very true, and I've taken note of them. Unfortunately, on this site, we're not dealing with the ultimate in professional photography. The photos we work on are not taken with high-end fashion models. The lighting and make-up is not perfect.

We're here to learn how to deal with those imperfections -- photo restoration and retouching with everyday photographs.

I've haven't been here for a while because I'm also working with an organization that is desperately trying to restore photos for people who lost them in the floods of Hurricane Katrina.

Professionals and amatuers alike are spending countless hours to try to turn water destroyed and mud-embedded nothing photos into the "creme de la crap." That's part of the real world of photo restoration. We might not have perfect results, but the recipients are thrilled with the product and memories returned to them.

I thank RetouchPRO for teaching me what I need to know to help these people.

To everyone in this contest -- Good work.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine; 08-18-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2007, 05:41 PM

Ant, I think you lack tact. You comments however true are very abrasive and rude. Didnt your mother teach you to keep your tounge when you dont have something nice to say? Or at a minimum tryin being constructive about it? Maybe you are just one of those forum trolls that likes to stir the pot. No matter, having entered a file and looking at all of them I see some that arent too good some that are ok and some that are very good. Whatever you call the type of work that is being done, its still valid.

Last edited by rab3rd; 08-19-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
To Ant -- Some of your points are very true, and I've taken note of them. Unfortunately, on this site, we're not dealing with the ultimate in professional photography. The photos we work on are not taken with high-end fashion models. The lighting and make-up is not perfect.

We're here to learn how to deal with those imperfections -- photo restoration and retouching with everyday photographs.

... I'm also working with an organization that is desperately trying to restore photos for people who lost them in the floods of Hurricane Katrina. ... That's part of the real world of photo restoration. We might not have perfect results, but the recipients are thrilled with the product and memories returned to them.
Lorraine
Lorraine -- excellent post!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2007, 04:12 PM

Lynnette, sorry about the delay....I haven't checked to see if you posted your contest results but if not, please do. All the posts I've seen from Ant run in the same vein and do not reflect the other 99% of people on this site, in my opinion. By now you've probaby read Lorraine's post to which I reply - Bravo!
Doreen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonK View Post
Got room for one more?
WOW! Most popular contest in well over a year! I'm pleased to have contributed the source photo -- not knowing it would be used for a contest, but one I knew would be challenging to retouch in any case.

Of course, a young pretty woman is my favorite subject to retouch. So, I had to have my go also before time ran out.

Admittedly, this was more demanding than I first anticipated. Here's what I did, in a nutshell:

Correcting the color shift required treating the hair and skin hues separately as each was effected differently -- I used masked color curves. A primary goal was to soften the harsh Rembrandt lighting. Once that was done, I set about to fix the skin: lots of D&B, de-noise brushing, hue and tone airbrushing, some PWL and some Neat Image. To retain contour and modeling and to avoid over-flattening, I also used judicious local contrast adjustments.

Next I enhanced her eyes, the undeniable focal point of the portrait, emphasizing color and "sparkle". Natural beautifying included pretty standard makeup (for 1973) touch-up: lipstick, blush, eyeliner and mascara, and fixing a major flaw in the photo - bringing back the eyebrow that had been blown out by faulty exposure/processing.

I toned down the hot rim lighting and muted flyaway hairs to her left and below her chin. Lastly, I added a hint of vignetting.

Of course there were dozens of other very subtle adjustments made along the way.

Finally, I resized for contest, sharpened a bit and saved for web.

Man has been endowed with reason, with the power to create, so that he can add to what he's been given.
- Anton Chekhov (1860-1904) Russian dramatist and writer
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests