RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Oct 07 Contest Discussion

Old 10-01-2007, 04:41 PM

Oct 07 Contest Discussion

Add your comments, questions or general discussion about the Contest entries here. This is also a great place to share your techniques or ask others about theirs.

Most members are eager to hear comments/suggestions about their entries, so please take the time to help each other out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Janitor

Re: Oct 07 Contest Discussion

<tap><tap><tap>...is this thing on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2007, 10:31 AM

don't know about you, but I'm a bit stumped on this one
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM

That was my initial reaction too, Cassidy. I think the title of the contest, "Fright Contest", however, pretty much sums it up. Just making the model look scary: a ghost, monster, zombie, etc. should suffice -- as long as the criteria of a black background, proper file name and image size is followed. You might want to look at the October, 2006 contest for some inspiration. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off base. IMHO, it's impossible to predict just how folks might interpret the criteria in these contests. That's what makes it interesting though.

Anyway, I just got to thinking about my EX, and I think I can come up with something that should scare the bejesus out any red-blooded fella!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 04:01 AM

The title might be "Fright Contest", but the instructions say "The art director has a Halloween project and wants the provided photograph turned into a character more appropriate to illustrate the provided poem."

To me, that sounds a little more directed than just make it scary. How do zombies and ghosts fit the words and mood of the poem, for example. But, there is a lot of leeway available. What might be desirable to the art director of "National Scholastic" my be very different from the art director of "The New Yorker". So I'm certainly open to broader interpretations than mine.

There are some interesting possibilities. The figure of Death is generally considered to be male. Yet, here Death is female. Quite the role reversal. There are some interesting directions that could be explored here.

Not being able to "talk" to the art director to "flesh it out" so to speak, I tried to take a moderate approach and imagined what would fit in with the poetry magazines that used to be the rage when I was a youth. I wanted to echo the mood of the poem with a Death figure that, being female, avoided the traditional hood, robe and scythe (I did give her a scythe pendant though), but still showed the gaunt wearyness and indifference suggested.

It will be interesting to see what everyone comes up with on this one!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
The title might be "Fright Contest", but the instructions say "The art director has a Halloween project and wants the provided photograph turned into a character more appropriate to illustrate the provided poem."

I agree with "BobJones"..

To illustrate the provided poem, I decided to break away from the "Portrait" mode and provide a complete character (using the portrait) for the Art Director(s)..

My thoughts on getting away from the portrait may be a little out of the box but I tried to envision the character depicting the lines of the poem...

I was also just a little curious how submitting something other than a portraiture early in the contest would influence how others approached this project..

I think the rules of this contest leave a lot of latitude for interpretation.. I hope everyone stretches their imaginations

BTW.. Lonk, Fantastic work in the Sept Contest
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 04:14 PM

I certainly don't disagree with either of you. As we've all pointed out, there is quite a bit of flexibility in how one could interpret the assignment. In my case, I kept going back to the title, especially the "fright" adjective. Also, as mentioned in the instructions, we (in the U.S. at least) celebrate Halloween this month, which has it's own implied meaning.

The poem itself comes across, to me, with darkness and foreboding. It, of course, could be interpreted entirely different. That's the nature of poetry. E.G. a high key rendition of a beautiful angel might be perfectly valid as well.

The bottom line, I think, is how each presents their entry. I have a tendency to look for first impression impact and quality of workmanship. IMO, these should be, after all, the primary goals of any retouching/manipulation effort. I believe these contests are designed to challenge your skills. In this contest, the black background requirement, for example, tests your ability to retain her stringy hairline while changing to a solid dark background -- not a simple thing to do.

I'm looking forward to seeing your entry, Bob. And thanks, Granny, for the compliment on my September contest entry. I, for one, really like your illustrative interpretation in this contest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 05:12 AM

The poem set me in mind of the Banshee tales of Ireland,
"The Banshee
The Banshee is most commonly visualised as a female spirit who wails in the night to foretell disaster, either to an individual family or more generally. The tradition is the strongest in Ireland but many places with Celtic survivals have a variant of the Banshee.

From most descriptions, the Banshee appears dressed in green, perhaps wearing a grey cloak over her wizened body, with long streaming hair and eyes red from weeping. She is depicted both as a young woman and as a hag. Although often described as above, her most common characteristic is mournful wailing during which she heard but not seen. "

So that is where I got my inspiration from. Tho I'm not quite sure I want to go the whole hog, need to find the clothes and hair to suit, if I cant, will have to make her more ghostly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Used Too Much?

Hey Everybody! Well, this time I think I used just about every one of PS2's tools to get my entry going. I mean I dodged and burned, liquified, bloated, pinched, cut, paste, drew, stretched, shrunk, changed colors and anything else you can probably think of to make it have the look I wanted. The problem was when I finished, my file size had shot all the way up to 597 and that put the quality at 115%. When I started bringing it back down to get to 100% I couldn't get there. I had to bring it all the way down to 78.something to get it to load at a mere 19% quality, so I lost some of the effects I had on her. Does anyone else have this problem or am I doing something wrong? I remembered to save it to web. Boy, I'll bet that pretty lady didn't know she could look so terrible
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Used Too Much? Correction

You know all of that explaining I just did, just ignore it. Sometimes all you have to do is read and that is what I didn't do. I did not have my entry at the correct size (after I read the entry rules again), so I went back and changed it. I knew that had never happened to me before. Please excuse my oversight.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests