RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Mar 08 Contest Discussion

Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 AM

Mar 08 Contest Discussion

Add your comments, questions or general discussion about the Contest entries here. This is also a great place to share your techniques or ask others about theirs.

Most members are eager to hear comments/suggestions about their entries, so please take the time to help each other out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2008, 09:42 PM

Re: Mar 08 Contest Discussion

i think to get more people interested and involved in Contest the voting should be done by all members on retouch pro.
i think more people would get involved in the Contest Discussion if they knew they had a say/vote at the end
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 AM

I think just the opposite, dataflow. It's kind of like letting unregistered people vote in an election. You have to qualify to vote in an election so the analogy is you must submit and entry to qualify to vote for the contest. I think those who have "worked" the project are in a better position to understand the techniques and difficulty of rendering a winning piece than folks that didn't enter just jumping in and saying "I like this one". It is a contest after all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 AM

so lets use the election analogy.

lets say the contestants are people in goverment.
you wouldnt ask those contestants to vote for someone there up against so they can win, there going to vote for people that they think wont win.

the more logical thing you would do would be to ask the people that live in that country to vote (people = members of retouchpro)

in conclusion a person doesnt need to be in government to make the proper vote
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 AM

>>>lets say the contestants are people in goverment. you wouldnt ask those contestants to vote for someone there up against so they can win, there going to vote for people that they think wont win.

Geeeez, dataflow, you are a cynic. Perhaps that's how you would vote, but I like to think better of my fellow RTPer's. I've been around here for 3 years and played in a good number of contests, and I've never suspected that anyone was trying to rig the votes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Patron

LOL... this is NOT a secret ballot.. If we all used the theory "vote for people that they think wont win" then the least likely would always win.

Sorry, I don't think that voting strategy would gain you an advantage..

I feel we should be judged by our Peers.. in this case Peers=Participants.. I personally enter these contests for the challenge to see if I can do the project and compare my results against the other entrants and try to learn from them.. Getting votes and winning is at the bottom of my priority list..

As Doug Nelson said in a previous thread "You've either given it your best shot or you haven't. The idea is to push your limits and build portfolio pieces, not to put in the minimum effort necessary to win."
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
LOL... this is NOT a secret ballot.. If we all used the theory "vote for people that they think wont win" then the least likely would always win.
At last an explanation why I've never won.

Quote:
I feel we should be judged by our Peers.
That must be a spelling mistake, shouldn't it read Peters??? if so I should definitely have won something by now.

But seriously now.
Quote:
i think more people would get involved in the Contest Discussion if they knew they had a say/vote at the end
The idea is if you want to vote you have to join in. Just like in real life if you don't register to vote - no vote for you.

Either way nothing stops people commenting on any submission in these threads anyway, you don't have to join in to have an opinion.

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 PM

i could see doing a popular vote, open to all. we have celebrity award shows that vary in how they vote. the academy awards are done by your peers, like here. but, there's also the people's choice awards that are decided by the populace. so, either works.

for me, i'd rather be in a vote of peers, like the academy awards. it means more to me since these folks shld know what they're talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2008, 12:32 AM

im not thinking about who is going to win.
as i dont think i would be the one that does.

i just think more people would get involved in the contests if they had a vote at the end.

people keep talking like only the people that enter the contest would know the right person to vote for.
i think thats a loud of cr*p, most people that register at retouchpro would know what looks good or who they think should win

like Kraellin said you could have a second vote.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2008, 05:20 AM

>>>i just think more people would get involved in the contests if they had a vote at the end.

If they get involved in the contests then they do have a vote in the end. What's your point?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests