Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

April 2008: Voting thread

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2008, 05:24 PM
April 2008: Voting thread

Voting will run from 24 Apr to 30 Apr 2008. Deadline for votes is 5pm EST.

Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted. If you did not enter, but would like to comment on an entry, please post your comments in the Feb 08 Contest Discussion thread.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order.

You cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

And as always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Re: April 2008: Voting thread

Such a fun contest! I thought all of the entries were good and I ended up with a file full of about 10 that I had to narrow to 5.

1. Cassidy.
Your layout sold it. The work on the face is good but the color palette and brushes were the perfect touch.

2. CathyH.
Your work with the hair is astonishing. How did you do that???

3. altivan.
Tough call, I liked that you were one of the only people to do away with the shadow on the face. I like your design too. I had to go with 3 though because the hues in the face are gone.

4. afrazier.
Just an overall good job. Love the warm tones, nice retouch on the face, good cover design.

5. laura.
Again a real tough call, could easily have been anywhere in the top 5. You were one of the only people to take out the coat and rebuld the face. Fantastic job too. I also really like the composition.

Great job to all! This is sooo much fun, can't wait for next month.

OH, and johndiablo would have sqeezed in the top 5 somewhere had it not been for the extra text.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:04 PM

1: GiMiNi_M
2: enhancer
3: LonK
4: Mike_Abbott
5: Photomaster
Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 PM

1: LonK - Good work on the hair, as well as the touch-up. The hair was the choice maker in this instance.

2: CathyH - Only second to LonK because the touch-up, though good, was a little rough on the edge of the right cheek/jaw (i.e. there was evidence of a retouch). Otherwise, 1 & 2 would have been reversed.

3: artofcmarie - I thought the cover design was nice ... nothing too overdone. The eyes were still a little bright in the top two images, so I put this at #3 since it lacked that "real" quality of a natural eye color/contrast.

4: PhotoB - Great retouch, fantastic graphic design on the title. However, her skin tone was still a bit uneven on the right side of her face. I thought that could have been a little better.

5: The Enhancer - The touch-up itself needs some work. It's very rough. But I thought the cover theme was really good. It was very down to earth, and it sort of added a hint of quiet adventure, if that makes any sense. Walking the pier ... walking a trail in the woods ... both easy-going pass times.

Last edited by AFrazier; 04-25-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:24 AM

Great work, everyone! Overall, I was most impressed with solutions that clearly communicated (visually) the idea of retouching, in the context of a magazine cover. My choices were the designs that told that story effectively. Here's my top 5:

1. artofcmarie - Your use of the 'Four Seasons' type theme (four environments?) really communicated the visual idea of retouching, and the retouching was well done too.
2. Mike Abbott - Wow! Looks like Bon Appetit for the eyes! The lush, spare but artful cover treatment is strengthened by the effective retouching of the model herself.
3. K_Gimini - simple framing of the retouched area sets off the contrast of untreated to treated area, and is compositionally sound as well.
4. cadd_97 - The picture-in-picture immediately communicated the idea of before & after, and set off the retouched image more effectively than if it were on its own.
5. Photomaster - I love how the flipped image brings a new energy, and the picture-in-picture was helped by the slight angling of the 'before' snapshot. Nice color overall in the retouched image, as well.

Good work by all - looking forward to May's challenge(s).
Old 04-25-2008, 12:40 AM

1st PeterS
2nd Gilbert
3rd LonK
4th Laura.lala
5th Artofcmarie

Last edited by saby; 04-25-2008 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:28 AM

Apart from from selecting No.1 for the original hair style change, the other positions have been really difficult

1. Lonk
2. Frank Lopes
3. Cassidy
4. Artofcmarie
5. Saby
Old 04-25-2008, 03:17 AM

Well done to all, selecting my top five was a tough call. I weighed my choice much more on the retouching of the model, rather than the cover design. Personally, I was looking for a realistic retouch of the supplied image, rather than 'illustrative' style. Here are my top five:

1. afrazier
2. Photomaster
3. altivan
4. CathyH
5. PhotoB

Mike A.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:18 AM

Here's my votes: Quite tough to decide I must say.

1st - Cathy H - The great natural looking hair replacement was a clear winner
2nd - Gilbert
3rd - MikeAbbot
4th - PhotoB
5th - PhotoMaster

Well done everyone!

and I would have removed the my little bit of text if someone had mentioned it :-( Some people added barcodes so I added date to make it look like a cover, oh well....
Old 04-25-2008, 05:19 AM

Here are my votes, as always a very hard decision.

1. Cassidy - very nice retouch, she looks natural and I liked the eyelashes
2. Johndiablo - I really liked the softness.
3. Gilbert - she looks very natural and clean.
4. K_Gimini_M - I love the design and you did a good job on the makeup.
5. Photomaster - nice retouch and I like how you cleaned up her eyebrows.

everyone did a great job.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests