RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

July 2008 Contest Discussion

Old 07-15-2008, 07:48 AM

Smile Re: July 2008 Contest Discussion

I don't know which are more creative -- the entries -- or the titles of the entries.

This is the best work that I've seen from everyone here.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM

Re: July 2008 Contest Discussion

Come on in Lorraine, the water's warm and very inviting
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2008, 02:14 PM

Notes on my Elephorse entry:

At first I thought this would be a great opportunity to do some nifty trick manipulation and create a truly exotic critter. That's just what I did.

But reconsidering, that the intended audience was to be young children, I figured something simpler and relatively obvious would be more appropriate. An acquaintance, who teaches elementary school, confirmed this notion. "In my experience," she said, "kids tend to shy away from overly complex concepts." With that in mind, I started over and decided to let my 11 year old grand-nephew pick the animals to combine. He quickly chose the horse and the elephant. "Can we put the elephant's head on the horse, Uncle Lonnie?"

Since the guidelines stated the end result should 1) look like a photo, 2) in portrait format, 3) using only elements from the provided photos, I realized a convincing, photo-like setting was going to be a challenge. My solution was to assemble a pastoral scene from parts of the other photos. For the upper background portion, I chose the top/left corner of the antelope photo. I selected a grassy/floral patch from behind the horse and used a perspective tiling process to fill the foreground. I blurred the nearest grass to enhance depth, colored the flowers and added some ground mist for interest.

Not to be left out, his 9 year old brother then insisted I mix the frog and rooster for him -- a froogster. I dared not refuse his request! The boys loved them and both creatives were printed and now hang proudly on their bedroom wall.

I sure hope there'll be more entries in this fun contest. And it would be great to hear how others made their entries too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2008, 02:49 PM

that's marvelous, lonk

the only thing i didnt quite understand about this contest was the insistence that final images be 600 x 800, when all the images provided were of a horizontal format. that part gave me more problem than the rest of the combinging.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2008, 06:11 PM

Lonk, what a great idea to ask the grand nephews and it's a cute story.
I'll really have to put more thought into these things - LOL. I just loved the plume (or whatever that is called) on the bird and just wanted to use it in someway. since i loved the rooster's feathers he was the choice for the main body. from there it was just play. i sure never thought about composing a new background...another good idea.
nice work everyone! keep the entries coming although it is making voting tougher...again.
doreen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2008, 07:47 PM

This has been a fun challenge. I had a couple of false starts before I got something I liked.

The challenging part was to “create a photo realistic new species by combing the images” , “Only use elements from the provided photos” and “Final image must be exactly 600 pixels wide and 800 pixels high.”

To create a cross between the Zebra and the Elephant I first created a shape for the side body, head and ear. I then warped the skins of each to fit. For the ear I had to use another part of the Zebra and I rotated and warped it to fit. I then added the legs for the opposite side. Adjusted the color and added shadows. The Zebra’s tail was adjusted and attached.

The problem I then had was the image’s orientation. I decided to use the elephant’s background. I prepared it by removing the Elephant by cloning. I then enlarged the canvas leaving the original at the top. Copied a portion and enlarged it below.

When I added the Zeephant, the background looked a little empty. I decided to add the Zebra and the Elephant, the poster now shows the before and after images of the animals combined. Again I was not pleased; it now looked a little crowded. I decided to have the Elephant and the Zebra interact. I reduced their size and had them face each other. I warped the Zebra’s head and neck to where the Zebra looked up toward the Elephant. I warped the Elephant’s trunk so that it reached out to the Zebra. I then adjusted shadows and limited the depth of field.

The grass at the feet had to be copied to a higher layer and motion blurred to get the appearance I wanted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 PM

This was my first crack at "morphin" animals and I had a great time trying all kinds of permutations.

Some of your entries look like they came straight from The Island of Doctor Moreau.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2008, 10:58 AM

This is such a wonderful stretch of the imagination, told my youngest, I found this in backyard, she was totally fascinated. Really glad to see more entries, don't be daunted, not as hard as it seems
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
Come on in Lorraine, the water's warm and very inviting
After your invitation and excellent entry, I couldn't resist. Thank you.

Notes:

I didn't do much except use the warp tool on the frog's head and neck to mimic the rooster's shape. Same with the bird's crest.

The rest was just trying to match the background to the crest which was very difficult to extract from the original background. In the end, I had to use the original background which I blurred somewhat to minimize the cloning out of the bird. I sharpened the crest a bit with the sharpen tool.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine; 07-18-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 06:42 AM

I have changed my entry, it was brought to my attention that we could only use the photos provided, luckily I found time to make a background from the original horse photo. I definitely like the the look of my first try better, but you have to follow the rules.
Good luck everyone.
cathy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests