Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

January 2009 Votes

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2008, 03:34 PM
January 2009 Votes

Voting will run from 25 Jan to 31 Jan 2009. Deadline for votes is 5pm DST (Daylight Saving Time).

Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted. If you did not enter, but would like to comment on an entry, please post your comments in the Contest Discussion thread.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order.

You cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote.

And as always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!
Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Re: January 2009 Votes

1. Sum - Very beautiful, has a mystical feel to it.
2. Lonk - Very Pretty and I like the way you toned down the reflection.
3. Ruzzez - Very nice but the reflection draws your eyes away from the barn
4. Aalandriel - Nice and straight forward
5. Chillin - I like the way you added the small star to the small building. could have used more work on the details.

This was a hard contest to do and really hard to judge.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:16 PM

I voted as if I were the contractor deciding which image; that supports my bid to repair and paint the property; that typifies the quality of my work; that I would most likely wish to show to the client to elicit a positive response.

1. ruzzez. Repairs addressed well and the scene is cheerful and nicely balanced. Large area allocated to the sharp reflection competes for attention though.
2. chillin. Effective repairs and simple, straight-forward presentation. Needs more "punch"!
3. Aalandriel. Welcome to RTP. Very clean, but the crop results in a somewhat lopsided balance. Bland bright sky detracts.
4. CathyH. Headed in the right direction, but appears incomplete -- especially edits not represented in the reflection.
5. groovez. Welcome to RTP. Also incomplete -- reflection not representative of changes made to buildings.

Honorable Mention: sums. Welcome to RTP. While this is without a doubt a very dramatic, fantasy, artistic interpretation of the barn moved to a different location, it essentially fails to meet the specific criteria/goal of the assignment.

Kraelin: Bothersome that the image was resized without constraining proportions, causing distortion.

travoll: Welcome to RTP. Stormy sky is rather gloomy; bright reflection competes.

Considering the detail required for this contest, I think everyone did a fantastic job.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:37 PM

1. Lonk
2. Ruzzez
3. Chillin
4. CathyH
5. Groovez
Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 AM

Phew just as hard a contest this was as hard is it to judge. I decided to weigh craftsmanship higher than actual representation as this is a learning experience for everyone.

1) Lonk - Awesome attention to detail, this render is what I would expect from a contractor hoping to land the job. For my own preferences the background is a little too reworked, but it adds atmosphere to the scene.

2) Ruzzez - Also an awesome render, however the reflection is a little too contrasty which steals the focus, and sky is slightly too blue, which adds a little inconsistency between the colour temperature you would expect and the actual temperature in the image.

3) Groovez - a solid render. The missing repair in the reflection puts this off a little but at the same time it adds history to the image. I really like the spire detail.

4) Chillin - Yet again a solid rendition. Would have loved for the corners on the reconstructed building to be less harsh however.

5- sums - even though you opted to move the building and added a completely new environment which isn't exactly in line with the content description, the repair/reconstruction is above par.

And finally to repeat what Lonk already said:"Considering the detail required for this contest, I think everyone did a fantastic job. "

Last edited by Aalandriel; 01-27-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Fixed 4th vote's name
Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM

1. Lonk: I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback. I'm a big fan of your submission in the contest.

I love your creativity. Looking at this from a contractor's point of view, I see a lot of things I like.

First of all, the swans are a nice touch. I know a few people in the contracting business, and most of them do offer wildlife as part of the package.

Secondly, the wall you rebuilt looks great! It reminds me of that very stylish, vinyl look-a-like material covering. That's very hip right now, and from a contractor's point of view, that would be much more cost effective than using real stone. Bravo!

And, although it's a little outside the box, I really applaud your efforts in replacing the grass with astroturf. It's increased longevity and durability will be a valuable addition to this property.

I was unaware that changing the background was against the rules. I wish I had known beforehand. However, you've done an amazing job of putting in several trees, and the sky is beautiful. If you have any tips on improving the background without replacing it, I would like to pick your brain.

Again, great job on the pic. You really are great at thinking outside the box and I look forward to seeing your next submission.

2. Ruzzez
3. Chillin
4. Alandriel
5. CathyH
6. Groovez
7. Kraelin
8. Travoll
(Same order as lonk)
Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 AM

1 Chillin - Held true to restoration
2 CathyH - I loved the roof but the reflection in water fell short
3 LonK - Very appealing but the shadow added to the eave put it in a different plane than originally constructed and the I feel that the stone wall should have only been cleaned up not refaced.
4 aalandriel
5 Kraellin
Old 01-27-2009, 07:41 PM

great job everyone!! really hard to judge and after seeing everyone elses i think mine looks like it still needs repairs.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 PM

It was a time consuming task & everyone did great job.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:30 PM

Results will be posted on 3 Feb.

Last edited by T Paul; 02-02-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests