RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

January 2009 Contest Discussion

Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 AM

Re: January 2009 Contest Discussion

Lonnie,

You are spot on! That was my objective for this contest. Contractors, realtors, developers and so on benefit from this type of architectural restoration. The photos help the client better envision the end result through before and after shots.

Lonnie also made an excellent point about preparation. It is so easy to want to just dive into the photo and start working on it; figuring out things as you go along. But if you take a little time to plan your attack it will make the process much more productive.

Another common project along this avenue is to turn a house into a pencil sketch or watercolor as a house-warming gift to a client. I’ve also seen a combination of before and after shots -- almost a split screen with a photo of a town street from back in the old days on one side that fades into the present time view. This is quite the challenge as you one, need the old photo and two, have to take the current photo matching the old perspective so line things up. But if you can pull it off, it makes for quite the nostalgic gift.

Cheers,

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2009, 11:10 AM

I was thinking about attacking this from the exact angle that both Lonnie and Tpaul mentions (I had the remodelling mats lined up), but then I reread the contest guidelines and thought maybe the wording of the assignment was actually a clue as to how to attack this.

Repair and restore to me does not mean make it new. So I opted for the pure restoration angle which meant a lot more work but the best way IMO to avoid the "new and overly improved" look that you get when aiming to make it new. Maybe I should have reread the contractor bit of the contest rules as well and it would have changed my opinion once again but if that was the case I fear I would't have gotten anything done as I would still be contemplating how to go about this challenge

If I were to rework my submission even further I would attach the look and feel of the overall image perhaps make it appear as the shot was taken on a spring or summer day instead of what appears to be a dreary November day, but that might just be the sneaky winter depression talking
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 AM

Sums, your take on this scene was totally brill. I love that you didn't follow everyone else's lead and made the picture your own....

totally stunning.

there is something to be said about not abusing your filter powers and making things look like a knitted sweater on a canvas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2009, 12:31 AM

Re: January 2009 Votes

1.travoll

2.Ruzzez

3.CathyH
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM

Answering some posts in votes thread:

CathyH: Thanks for your comment.

Nasurtium: You did not enter the contest, therefore you may not vote.

Aalandriel: Thanks for your comments. Oops! You failed to name the artist in your 4th place vote.

sums: Thank you too for YOUR feedback. You are correct that I tried to work this from the contractor's POV. He would, of course, be the person to whom the artist would answer. I did add the swans to contribute animation (life) to the scene. I used Alien Skin's Eye Candy 5: Textures, Brick Wall plugin for the wall and brick fills. I agree it looks somewhat synthetic, but nonetheless effective. The grass was not replaced, rather simply a color range selection recolored to a green hue with HSL adjustment. As far as the background is concerned, my goal was simply to make it more enticing. Replacing the bare, cold trees with ones in full autumn bloom just seemed appropriate. The sky? Well, I just love dramatic skies with billowy clouds. Let me reiterate that I think your entry is fantastic. You certainly have no trouble with visualization. I didn't mean to imply that you broke any contest rules, only that these contests are designed to expose retouchers to what may be real world business situations. In this case, IMHO, your artistic rendition would not be suitable. I do hope we'll see more of your wonderful work here at RetouchPRO in the future.

Ruzzez: I appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonK View Post

Aalandriel: Thanks for your comments. Oops! You failed to name the artist in your 4th place vote.
Whoooooooooooops! thanks Lonnie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2009, 11:26 AM

Now that the voting is over, I have taken the comments from the voting and tried to incorporate improvements. I would like some feedback on what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruzzez1.jpg (99.5 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2009, 08:13 AM

Great job everyone! This was a challenging contest and those that entered deserve a pat on the back.

It looks like the water reflection caught a couple people though. When working on a photo that has reflective surfaces remember to see if you need to duplicate changes there as well or it will be a dead give away that the photo has been altered. Also, the owners and animals in Sums photo might be surprised to return to find an ocean (wink). All in all, everyone did a fantastic job!

Now for the winner. And the contract goes to…..LonK

When working on a presentation, many times the photo is used not only to win the contract, but also to show everyone what the finished project will look like…the coming attraction so to speak. So this photo might be posted in a lobby, put in flyers or construction signs, published in the local newspaper etc. Keep this in mind when doing presentation work.

Top 5
LonK - 29
Ruzzez - 27
Chillin - 22
Aalandriel -15
CathyH -12

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 AM

Congratulations to everybody for the excellent job, and especially to Lonnie !!!
I hope you will enjoy my Photoshop Photos to Art ebook
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2009, 12:09 PM

Thanks, Sylvia. I just started looking through your excellent eBook. Your work is certainly exemplary.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests