RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

March 2010 Contest Discussion

Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 AM

Re: March 2010 Contest Discussion

hi all
T Paul, I am confused. Nowhere in the rules did you state that only the supplied image must be used. Usually you do if that is relevant.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Well, call me naive, gullible, whatever, but the thought never occured to me to use any outside image other than the one provided to complete the contest. I think if that were allowed, it would have been stated and not the other way around.
I may be completely off base here but in fairness to all, wouldn't this be the same as plagerism in the world of literature?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolly.jpg (23.6 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 03:15 PM

Oh, I disagree, using elements from another image isn't plagerism - not if you incorporate them effectively in your own image.
(especially with such a low quality source image).

Using text or a logo isn't plagiarism, why should it be so to use bits of another image?
acpgraphics's original image was clearly mkaking use of other elements - the circles weren't accurate with reference to the actual watch - therefore the retouch was not as successful as it might have been. But to use small elements here and there to enhance your image shouldn't be dismissed out-of-hand.. it isn't morally more laudable to create something from scratch than it is to rework an image so that it is effective.

In a contest, if the rules include a direct brief to use only elements from the source image/images, then those are the rules and that is how it should be done. There have definitely been contests here where that was clearly stated as part of the rules.
But this wasn't one of them, so I don't think it should be assumed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 06:17 PM

The face I originally stripped into the supplied image was from a Rolex Daytona. It has more detail therefore making some of the elements appear to be wrong or unsuccessful as a retouch.

When I am working there are usually multiple shots of the same item with different lighting to capture all of the detail. It was only my "interpretation" of the rules, doing what I normally would do to get the best result. I am new to this site and with this being my first contest entry, I have not seen the rules for any previous contest. With that being said, there was no intention of plagiarism or any other misappropriation.

As Flashtones said earlier, "...wasn't trying to cause trouble." So, I hope that everyone has seen that I did update and resubmit the image with the original face. Let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveltepig View Post
Oh, I disagree, using elements from another image isn't plagerism - not if you incorporate them effectively in your own image.
What if I came to the contest and used one contestant's retouched face, anothers bezel, a third's band and a fourths' shadow/reflection. Would it be okay to create an entry simply by combining the best parts of other contestant's work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2010, 04:43 PM

Applause to all who've braved this demanding contest. Your hard work is clearly evident. I've never done a jewelry retouch, so this was quite a challenge for me. My research revealed some interesting facts and techniques.

I wondered why most catalog ad photos for analog watches display the time close to 10:10?

No mystery. Apparently, it's simply because that reading has a clean, symmetrical look that doesn't interfere with typical branding. It seems this look is generally desired for the entire photo.

With this in mind, my retouch included copying/flipping half the existing askew band over to achieve a better overall balance and symmetry. I also added a subtle reflection and shadow to ground the piece onto the stark white setting.

Considering all the interest in jewelry retouching expressed in these forums lately, I'm really surprised there were so few entries. I found the exercise very educational and rewarding.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2010, 05:59 PM

Hmmm...this contest was certainly challenging in many respects. I admit to needing to research all I could find here on the subject. But I'm also suspecting something else that troubles me. Every entry other than mine has treated their watch as yellow gold. My eyes did not see it that way at all. I saw it as a white/yellow gold combo. Not really sure if it's the monitor or my eyes. Weird.
Lon, your first sentences, " Applause to all who've braved this demanding contest. Your hard work is clearly evident. I've never done a jewelry retouch, so this was quite a challenge for me." says it all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 AM

hey flashtones, I think you're going too far.
I'm not talking about using other people's work, only your own. Or other shots of the same subject, showing different angles. If you get it to work, then it works. Not plagiarism, not stealing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 07:11 PM

Time is quickly running out. Don't forget to vote!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 11:32 PM

I hope to have the results up Monday night.

Cheers,

~T
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests