Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Mar-Apr 2011 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2011, 05:16 AM
Mar-Apr 2011 Contest Votes

Voting will run from 23 to 30 Apr 2011. Deadline for votes is 7pm (Central).

Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted. If you did not enter, but would like to comment on an entry, please post your comments in the Contest Discussion thread.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order (only one person per place).

You cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote.

And as always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Re: Mar-Apr 2011 Contest Votes

I really did not want to be the first as I am unsure of the 'normal' format for this. So I hope that my initial ramblings are acceptable.

I found choosing my favourites in particular order the most difficult and daunting thing to do, in fact far more difficult than compositing the image. Without a doubt all the images have their own charm and merit and I am sure a lot of work and thought gone into them all.

Then the question how to choose and what to eliminate all versions IMO exhibited charm and artistic interpretation. So I made the decision that I would try and stick to the brief i.e. "Final image should be a charming morning scene that the owners will use for the cover of their breakfast menu". This for me meant eliminating those images that looked too much like a night time scene . Then I imagined that as the images were to go on a breakfast menu perhaps they should be relatively simple.

On a personal note animals in or around food places seem to be at odds with modern hygene thinking and generally I would not choose to eat where it was obvious that animals sat on either tables or chairs. Aplogies in advance to those cat lovers that see nothing wrong in this – I do actually like animals.

So my voting:

1. Palms - Bright and happy feeling, and the cat far enough away to be of minor interest

2. Joeven - The clean bright graphical look very appealing

3. LonK - Enjoyed the extra touches, milk for the cat and a paper for the person that ordered the coffee. Just about made the morning feel for me. Not 100% on the lens flare - although I liked it I wonder if correct for a menu cover.

4 CaptainObvious - I can really imagine this on the front of the menu. The graphical elements of fading out to line drawing seem right but perhaps a little too dark in the colouring?

5. mlmaxey - Use of colour wash/cast interesting and I could see this faded down a little on a menu
Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 AM

A super fun contest with great entries by all, and very hard to vote It has felt as if i have had to what we call "nit pick" to pick out any order
and a round of applause for those who entered, trying the painterly side for the first time

1 Lorraine i thought the colours are great for the morning feel, the kitten behind the tablecloth is a nice touch

2 Joeven great smooth look, and i am a sucker for the look

3 Loona great painting effect, and a colourful kitten

4 Lonk loved the extra touches, the sunlight, the saucer for the cat, newspaper

5 mlmaxey
a very painterly feel and the colour gives of a very early feel

Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 AM

1. Lonk
2. CaptainObvious
3. Pherbis
5. CathyH

my comments are in the discussion thread
Old 04-26-2011, 01:27 PM

Right. Time to vote, and, seeing as this is my first shot at entering, plus my first time at voting, i'll try to be as concise as possible.

#1. Joeven - Loved the "smooth" effect you used, however, as with a lot of the other entries, there was a lack of perspective to the coffee cup, making it look very one dimensional, but, I felt this was the brightest and best lit of the other entries.

#2. Loona - a great watercolour effect, Kitten placement and overall look. It was a very close second choice for me.

#3. renata - considering you said it was your first attempt, i really liked the style, and the comedy value with the kitten destroying the second pot of flowers. The comedy element was slightly lacking detail, which made you my number three choice.

#4. dkcoats - This image reminded me of a very early morning scene, almost "sunrise". But for a breakfast menu, i would have gone with something a bit brighter. Great Lighting effects and placement, and i love the oil painting effects you've used.

#5. Tony W - great placement and effects, but in my opinion, way too dark for a morning menu. Would have been my first choice for an evening menu though.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Impressive work, everyone. In the thread for discussion I'll go more into detail about each of these.

Here are my votes:

1. Loona
2. palms
3. LonK
4. nasturtium
5. dkcoats

Last edited by Veralisa; 04-26-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: mixed order
Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 PM

I was torn when choosing, because there were some that I just liked and admired and some which, once I thought about it, really would work better on a breakfast menu. Hard choices. In the end:

1) palms
2) joeven
3) dkcoats
4) LonK
5) CaptainObvious

Thanks for the chance to have a go.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 PM

Ok here's my pics.

5.Tony W
Old 04-27-2011, 07:07 AM

dkcoast - Nice golden tones and great paint strokes, cup is nicely done.
mimaxey - I love the over all color shift and the cup is done well.
joeven - I really like the soft but yet sharp feel. Although the cup is way off perspective. Cute kitty placement.
TonyW - I really like the dark early more tones with the deep shadows, cute placement of kitty.
Lorraine - Nice and bright and simplified in a nice water color way, kitty needs a shadow, and cup a little bit off.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:45 PM

This wasn't easy. Then again, it usually isn't.
1. LonK (exception to the above-this one stood out for me)
2. CathyH
3. Veralisa
4. Loona
5. Nasturtium
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests