Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Aug-Sep 2011 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Aug-Sep 2011 Contest Votes

Voting will run from 24 to 30 Sep 2011. Deadline for votes is 7pm (Central).

Only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted. If you did not enter, but would like to comment on an entry, please post your comments in the Contest Discussion thread.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order (only one person per place).

You cannot vote for your own image. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote.

And as always, when you vote try to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Re: Aug-Sep 2011 Contest Votes

Sorry for the delay. I'll add three days to the voting. Voting now closes 3 October 7pm (Central).
Old 09-29-2011, 03:54 AM

Let's enter the Arena!
I'll be the first...

1-Fenix: Everything's in place to me, the tones and general lighting are the best of the lot, the hot air balloons, the steampunk sign, are brilliant ideas. The paper texture is very nice.

2-DKcoats: the best perspective rendition to me, with an excellent overall sharpness, and a great road texture...just the sky's a bit dull.

3-Captain Obvious: superb realization, excellent paper texture but a slight 50's feel (maybe the "dinner" sign).

4-Veralisa: What I like the most: Decoration on the windows, the idea of the balcony fence on the roof. I regret the lack of finishing in some parts (eg: bottom of the tree).

I must admit that the vote between 1 and 2 were very tight to me, I may have another idea if I come back later. So, it's my impression for the moment... The truth is, despite the insane amount of time I've spent on my image, I feel very jealous of all the submissions. I was nearly discouraged when I saw the posts!

And, no real losers for this one, we were only 5!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:48 AM

1-Captain Obvious – Overall I think use of authentic paper stock used as a texture is the biggest plus, power lines quite visible, pleasing color tone, but street seems too smooth to support horse traffic.

2-4personnen - very picture perfect, love the embossed seal, grain & sky, power lines could be larger. Not as much changed from the original as I’d expect.

3-Fenix – excellent hot air balloons! They were the rage then and nice lettering on windows. Wagon on left could have been made smaller to enrich the perspective.

4-DKcoats – excellent lettering on buildings, kind of empty, though. People added are extremely well executed.

Last edited by Veralisa; 09-29-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-30-2011, 07:33 AM

right. this was a tough one to call, and i think you can tell by the number of entries that this wasn't the easiest of tasks.

My votes are as follows:

#1 dkcoats. - whilst a couple of the items added could have used a little "defringing" i found this to be my favorite

#2 4personnen - sometimes less IS more, but i thought your image was a little dark.

#3 Fenix - this would have been my #2, but there were some issues with your character placement, some of the added images are out of focus, out of perspective or look like they're "floating". Great work on the buildings though.

#4 Veralisa - The architecture lent itself more to a 'big city', I liked the way you included the other side of the street, but was disappointed you didn't liberate the blocked up windows. Window decorations on the ground floor were nicely done however.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:15 AM

Where can I view the entries?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 AM

I looked for obvious anachronisms, and found plenty. Disturbing, given that all you have to is Google "1901 automobile", for example, to find out what one looks like.

1 4personnen - Maybe it's a monitor issue but I thought it was too dark. The utility poles are too short, too numerous, and too close to the buildings. You didn't do anything about the obviously late-twentieth-century building on the extreme left or the funky, probably 1970s-era cedar-shake awnings. Otherwise, my favorite.

2 fenix - There are some perspective issues here, the people and other objects appear to be floating, and you also didn't deal with the modern awnings. The balloons are nice but probably pretty unlikely given the location. The orthochromatic films of the day typically rendered skies as overcast.

3 CaptainObvious - The car is about 15 years in the future and it's too small. (Given that there were only a few thousand autos on the road in the US in 1901 it's pretty unlikely there would be one in such a small, rural Southern town at all.) The modern building on the left is still there. If there was no fire hydrant in the modern-day photo it's unlikely there was one there in 1901. (There wasn't one there in 1934, either.) The ladder is impossible; if the bottom is in contact with the sidewalk and the top in contact with the wall, it has to pass through the 1970s-era cedar shake awning. The brick street in this small rural town is improbable.

4 Veralisa - My biggest problem here is with the incongruous architectural ornamentation. I found the electric wires excessive, distracting, and improbable. A little too busy overall, to my eye.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:57 AM

I had almost forgotten about it, sorry for being late!

Here is anyhow my vote.

dkcoats: It was love at first sight! Can´t really add more to it than that. It´s a clear winner in my eyes.

CaptainObvious: I like that one alot but what I noticed almost at once was that the car wasn´t even made back in 1901. So that photo could for obvious reasons never have been taken back in 1901. Otherwise I think it was a really nice job made here.

Veralisa: You really have put down a lot of work on this one which I really love but there are a bit of a visual problem when it comes to making the objects added merge with the background. So it will be a 3rd place for you.

4personnen: Also a good job but much too dark. Most of the work disappears completely in front of me. It probably is some sort of calibration error that cause it, either on yours or my screen. But it makes it unfortunately very difficult for me to see what has been done to it..
Old 10-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Kudos to the mighty five that took on this contest! WELL DONE! I especially enjoyed viewing who decided to add what to the photograph.
  • 4personnen: Nice job removing the signs of modern times.
  • CaptainObvious: I love the painter on the ladder.
  • Dkcoats: I like the feel of this photo and how the carriage draws you in. Also nice touch with the feed & seed store at the end of the street.
  • Fenix: Great overall old photograph feel.
  • Veralisa: The campaign posters were a fun touch.

The voting was close and the winner is….Fenix

Prize: Prize will be "Winner's Choice" of any one plugin: Dfine 2, Viveza 2, HDR Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro 2, Color Efex Pro 3, or Sharpener Pro 3, donated by Nik Software

The results:
Fenix - 15
4personnen - 13
Dkcoats - 11
CaptainObvious - 11
Veralisa - 6

All are winners in my book for taking the time to transport the photo back in time.

Spoiler alert…Nov will be something similar but in reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (98.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg fenix.jpg (98.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by T Paul; 10-15-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests