Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

April/May 2013 - Curb Appeal

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM
April/May 2013 - Curb Appeal

A common use of Photoshop is to show clients the potential of a project such as architectural improvements and landscaping. This contest will put your digital improvement skills to the test.

There are two projects this time, so there will be two separate entries, one for each project. You must complete both.

Project A – Southern Charm

The owner of the two-story southern charm home wants to add some impressive landscaping to improve their home's curb appeal. They want some colorful flowering shrubs along their porch and perhaps some flowers along the sidewalk. They really don’t know what they want and are eager to see what you propose. They have provided a photo of their home and want to see a digital mock-up of your proposed landscaping design.

Project B – Backyard Shed

There are numerous fixer-upper shows out there from flipping a home to do it yourself projects to renovate a home. The client is a real estate agent that has contacted you to create a digital mock-up so he can show his clients the potential of the property. He wants the person removed from the photo, the sidewalk fixed, new paint on the building, landscaping…in short, the works. He plans to show potential investors the digital renovation so they can better visualize how minor changes can have a major impact on the home and turn it into a great investment opportunity.

Source images courtesy of stock.xchng. You will need to register (free registration) to download this file.

Download Images: Two Images

Southern Charm (photo by Laura Leavell)

Backyard Shed (photo by Josh Cantrell)

New to the contests? Please review the FAQs

Prize: "Winner's Choice" of any two RetouchPRO LIVE Video Rentals!

1. Contest will run from 11 Apr to 24 May 2013. Deadline for entries is 6 pm (U.S. Central Time).

2. I will not answer questions concerning the rules. Interpretation of the rules is as important as execution.

3. You must submit a separate entry for each project.

4. Tasks:
  • Project A – Southern Charm: Create a digital image showing the client how new landscaping will improve the curb appeal of their home (see above for clients’ desires). Final image must be exactly 800 pixels wide by 600 pixels high (landscape format).

• Project B – Backyard Shed: Create a digital image showing the client how new landscaping and cosmetic changes such as new paint and minor architectural details will improve the real estate value of the porperty (see above for clients’ desires). Final image must be exactly 600 pixels wide by 800 pixels high (portrait format).

5. When you submit your entry put your username in the filename (ie: tpaul.jpg). This is so users can save the images to a local directory and remember who did what--important when it comes time to vote.

6. Post your entries to this thread. Links will not be accepted. Please restrict your comments, questions or discussion to the Contest Discussion thread. Inappropriately placed posts will be deleted.

7. Only one entry per person. You can change your entry up to the deadline.

8. Voting will run from 25 to 31 May 2013. Only those with entries may vote. Although everyone (contestants and non-contestants) are encourage to leave comments on the entries in the contest discussion thread.

9. Voting: Since there are two projects you will vote twice. Once for you favorite Southern Charm project (top 5), and once for your favorite Backyard Shed project (top 5). Please identify which votes are for which (i.e. Project A Southern Charm Votes and Project B Backyard Shed Votes.) The votes will be combined to determine the overall winner.
  • Submit the 5 best entries (by artist name) in order, starting with your favorite.
  • You cannot vote for your own image.
  • Once you have voted, do not change your votes. Often the votes are tallied as they come in so any changes in the votes may not be reflected in the final results.

Finally, please remember that this is a friendly contest and suppose to be a learning experience. Tips and suggestions to help others are highly encouraged. Also please don’t limit your comments to just the top 5 when you vote. Most members are eager for feedback about their images, so remember to help each other out.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Re: April/May 2013 - Curb Appeal

W-a-a-a-y too hard! But I tried. The first one is more of an illustration...ran the original house in Topaz Simp, then drew in all the landscaping.

The second was also hard so I finished it up as simple as I could. I'll never be a concrete mason...sidewalk is a little wonky. None the less...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VeralisaI.jpg (166.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg VeralisaII.jpg (180.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 PM

This contest was a lot of work and fun. I used some items that I found on the Internet, but did not see any that any of the material had copyrights. I also used photos from my home.

Entry 1 – Southern Charm

Added foundation shrubs - Flowering white gardenias and non-flowering green and yellow shrubs for contrast.

Created planting beds bordering the sidewalk containing evergreen grasses, coral bells, a border of evergreen candy tufts that flower in spring. Also, summer annuals were added for color.

Removed the planters in front of the steps and reused one on the porch.

Entry 2 – Shed

Patched and painted the siding, door frame and windows. Added a new door and window shutters (made from the door). Fixed the sidewalk and added a small paved area in front of the door (pavers were created from the original slab). Added shrubs, flowers and a bird bath.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lorraine_Entry1.jpg (192.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Lorraine_Entry2.jpg (196.5 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-27-2013, 02:45 PM

Double Winners for this contest!!!

Congratulations to Veronica and Lorraine for their lovely entries!!
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests