RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Aug-Sep 2014 Contest Discussion

Old 08-15-2014, 01:01 PM

Red face Re: Aug-Sep 2014 Merge Channels Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsykhra View Post
Mr G, I think you overdone a little but with painting in color mode so that tree trunks became green too and logs lost color variations and became all the same hue. And upper part of trees have hue shift towards blue.
I agree Tsykhra, but don't fret Mr G, you'll be able to repeat your steps, and go back to an earlier state, and redo that area. Better yet, it would be good if you had a layer that preceded that particular version. I oftentimes make layers when doing projects like this. Not my traditional use or functionality of Layers, but a "backup" if you will.

When I get to a place that I like, but am a bit dubious about trying something else, or adding a technique or function which may or may not work. I stop, duplicate that layer, and then work on the new one. Of course History will let you do this to a degree, but if you get too far along, you can't always go back to the point you want.

Also with layers, maybe 30% of the areas you worked look pretty good, but 70% went awry. You can use an alpha mask and paint back into your bottom layer(s) only the areas you think are working - double check yourself, before deciding if you want to merge that layer down or not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Re: Aug-Sep 2014 Merge Channels Contest

Aligning the 3 images is pretty tough, I must agree. But it's nothing compared to the project I created which required me to align over 250 images.

If you are familiar at all with Pittsburgh and the Penguins hockey, then you know they used to play in the former Civic Arena (later named Mellon Arena) - and that this historic landmark was torn down, amongst much debate and disputes over what its future should be.

I was fortunate to have a good skyscraper view of this taking place. So I walked to a window most days, with a high-end, hand held camera, and took pics.

Then I merged them in Photoshop - and had to align all these frames to make a 30 second video of 9 months of dismantling. Got 30 seconds? Check it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvHpOmD8Zlg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2014, 06:10 PM

Now that was 30 seconds well-spent! Very nice, professional job. You're exactly right; lining up >250 images made with a hand-held camera had to have been difficult but your finished project looks like the camera was on a tripod and bolted in place for 9 months.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Aligning the 3 images is pretty tough, I must agree
I've applied auto-align and then fine tuned at 100% magnification. That was pretty fast
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 PM

How can I determine which image should be what color?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weewood View Post
How can I determine which image should be what color?
trial and error or common sense. What's the color of the sky? Mostly blue... so your blue channel is the one with the whitest on the upper part of the picture. What's the color of faces? mostly red... so your red channel would be the one with the lightest grey on the faces. Or the other way round... the darker the faces means it is going to be the blue channel because there ir little blue info there...

And so on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuasar View Post
trial and error or common sense. What's the color of the sky? Mostly blue... so your blue channel is the one with the whitest on the upper part of the picture. What's the color of faces? mostly red... so your red channel would be the one with the lightest grey on the faces. Or the other way round... the darker the faces means it is going to be the blue channel because there ir little blue info there...

And so on.
Quite right. Kuasar obviously works with channels and understands color. Basically, it is similar to your 256 levels of gray within each color channel, that you should be familiar with. If not, you can start checking them out for educational purposes as you work on your other projects. 0 level black - 126 mid tone - 255 fully white. In other words if an area were really yellow, the grayscale area of the channel would be R - very light, G - very Light and B- very dark. Play around with your color picker and fill some squares on a test pic with different colors. You'll get the hang of what Kuasar is telling you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygraphics View Post
Quite right. Kuasar obviously works with channels and understands color. Basically, it is similar to your 256 levels of gray within each color channel, that you should be familiar with. If not, you can start checking them out for educational purposes as you work on your other projects. 0 level black - 126 mid tone - 255 fully white. In other words if an area were really yellow, the grayscale area of the channel would be R - very light, G - very Light and B- very dark. Play around with your color picker and fill some squares on a test pic with different colors. You'll get the hang of what Kuasar is telling you.
Nice explanation
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malco555 View Post
Here's my attempt. It took me around an hour and a half. Good fun, especially trying to get the alignment on the faces. Those guys obviously couldn't keep totally still for three separate long exposures!
Pretty nice malco555. Especially for only an hour and a half!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2014, 03:56 PM

Talking Re: Aug-Sep 2014 Merge Channels Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgi93 View Post
Now that was 30 seconds well-spent! Very nice, professional job. You're exactly right; lining up >250 images made with a hand-held camera had to have been difficult but your finished project looks like the camera was on a tripod and bolted in place for 9 months.
Thanks xgi93. I just did it on a lark, and then when I first published it, it made all the Pittsburgh local news channels, Some papers came and interviewed me, and even some of the big guys carried some mentions of it - Sports Illustrated, Huffington Post, etc.

Sorry that when I was interviewed, I really did not have much technological secrets to reveal. I just took a pic most days and merged them in an animation mode in Photoshop...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests