RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

Aug-Sep 2014 Contest Discussion

Old 09-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Re: Aug-Sep 2014 Merge Channels Contest

I am very intrigued by the site and location of this photo. Several of you have posted very interesting information links from the process to the location, photographer and various other background info. Thank you very much.

Reading one of the links, it says that "a body of water" is clearly visible through the trees in the background. I don't see it. Does anybody else?

I am also wondering what kind of dirt that is that they are standing and sitting it. Obviously a logging worksite. Is it sawdust? If there is a body of water somewhere, is it maybe sand? The texture and how easily footprints makes depressed sinkholes (but) not distinct foot/boot shapes, suggest something very loose.

I have colored it a little more yellow/tan as I am experimenting to see if it looks any more natural than the really red you get upon first merging channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-13.jpg (98.5 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 PM

Re: Aug-Sep 2014 Merge Channels Contest

A logging site on or near a body of water would make a lot of sense - as it would supply a transport mechanism (boats) for all those logs?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2014, 05:39 PM

Re: Aug-Sep 2014 Contest Discussion

I'm thrilled to see all the entires, but for those of you that posted links, please repost your work to the contest thread (the posts with links have been moved to the discussion thread).

Quote:
Contest Rules: Links will not be accepted. Please restrict your comments, questions or discussion to the Contest Discussion thread. Inappropriately placed posts will be deleted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2014, 09:36 PM

So... I must admit, breaking this down was a revelation of presumed past technology. I am not familiar with the process of taking a color photo in this era (although I probably should be). But it does appear that the photographer takes 3 shots, advancing the film as he changes his lens filters (YMC) to capture the blue, green, red light. What we have downloaded is a contact sheet (a print) of that film, which accounts for the dirt in some frames, but not others. Initially thinking the dirt specs could be lined up in the layers of RGB, but soon realized that dirt/dust on the neg in one spot will not correlate to the same area of the image in the other channels. Obviously, as some have pointed out, the man in the middle (kneeling) had the hardest time holding his position during the 3 exposures. So I actually morphed him individually, and selectively, to try and get a better alignment and focus for him. Also rather obvious is that the Wood Piles did not move - so, this is a good place to start your alignment. Got lots of other observations while playing, but cut short (for now) and show you a quick rendition of where I am.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RETOUCH1-1.jpg (4.8 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2014, 09:40 PM

I am taking some advice from members and drawing from of the examples I've seen and liked here. Here is my latest...Not highres - just large enough to get the idea out, and still fit within forum's standards. i will post my Final Final on a link site to see it in all its glory (or flaws - whichever way you see it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-13a-1.jpg (99.9 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 PM

A little closer look and still under the 100K. I am liking this project a lot. I am seeing great things here, and am working towards implementing the best of the best renditions and ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-13c-1.jpg (98.0 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2014, 10:04 PM

If you like Color and Sharpness - lots of ways to get both. Sharpening can be implemented in an Unsharp Masking Filter, Smart Sharpening or even High Pass Overlays. How one settles on a final will depend on the end result they are looking to achieve!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-15-1.jpg (97.7 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2014, 10:06 PM

Ok... seeing some other interesting and gallant attempts at this. It gets harder the more you get into it. You start to realize that - or at least I did - that a first attempt wasn't bad, but also not so good. I am fine-tuning and narrowing in on colors I think are believable, and likely. Here is just a small-scale version of where I am heading. Also, a full size frame of the boss' head!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COLOR_12.jpg (99.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BOSS.jpg (51.6 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2014, 10:10 PM

RichieMB... nice play. Good merge. You are probably like a lot of us. Came in pretty good, but there are areas that you see can be improved. Also, like a lot of us here, finding time (between real work) to fine tune and adjust further is almost as much of a challenge, as the challenge contest itself. But "I" am hooked. I keep working it, and keep making improvements (IMHO) to my first show. Going to reveal my high res link at contest deadline. Just a couple of snapshots of my newest, most recent status...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MERGE-1.jpg (4.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BOYFACE.jpg (3.9 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2014, 10:14 PM

I am very intrigued by the site and location of this photo. Several of you have posted very interesting information links from the process to the location, photographer and various other background info. Thank you very much.

Reading one of the links, it says that "a body of water" is clearly visible through the trees in the background. I don't see it. Does anybody else?

I am also wondering what kind of dirt that is that they are standing and sitting it. Obviously a logging worksite. Is it sawdust? If there is a body of water somewhere, is it maybe sand? The texture and how easily footprints makes depressed sinkholes (but) not distinct foot/boot shapes, suggest something very loose.

I have colored it a little more yellow/tan as I am experimenting to see if it looks any more natural than the really red you get upon first merging channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-13-1.jpg (98.5 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests