RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Contests (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/contests/)
-   -   Aug-Sep 2014 Merge Channels Contest (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/contests/37935-aug-sep-2014-merge-channels-contest.html)

a1cbear 08-22-2014 01:05 AM

Re: Aug-Sep 2014 Merge Channels Contest

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my shot at it... my biggest challenge was with the Red and Green Channel.

Also the initial Layer Alignment was fun to get correct as well - thank God for PS's Rulers and Guides.

vincent prior 08-26-2014 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
cropped all 3 photos to 7x5.
cleaned up rubbish in all 3 photos.
did levels adjustment on all 3 photos.
merged them together to make an RGB photo.
lined up channels.
did a hue/sat adjustment layer on yellows ,greens, blues, and magenta
to enhance the color's.
then a vibrance adjustment layer to tone down the colors as they were to
bright for a photo of this age ?.
levels adjustment layer to brighten up the sky and trees filling with black
then painting back in with varying % of grey .
selective color adjustment layer to paint out the red color aberration around the men's body's and faces.
selected a color in each of the men's clothes then painted in .in color mode to take out any stray colors.
then a shadows /highlight layer to bring out the shadows in the wood piles
last of all a bit of sharpening.
note : when saved for the web the web photo looks nothing like the original ive got ? .

drs18 08-28-2014 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was so much fun; thanks for the challenge. I just had to stop and move on to work that isn't so enjoyable. All the versions here already are absolutely fantastic.

Once compiled into channels, I copied good picture information from where it existed on one channel and pasted it in place on damaged channels - using curves or levels to match as much as possible. For this, the movement in some of the figures was so bothersome that I duplicated the RGB image, converted the copy to Lab color, and pasted a copy of the original's Green channel into the new Lightness channel for a clearly focused image. The old green channel required curves tweaking to get it to work as an L. I converted back to RGB, pasted the copy in a layer underneath the original RGB image, and used a layer mask to gently bring back detail in the places I wanted. Like I said, real good fun. In the 1960s I watched my dad use Grumbacher Gamma Grays to retouch photos "longhand" I wish he could see this.

Copperbat 08-29-2014 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I felt the lighting (sunset colors) and composition/cropping should be preserved as much as possible since this is clearly a portrait of the workers and their production at the end of a full day on the job. I was also amazed at the age of the photograph and how beautiful the colors turned out.

RichieMB 08-31-2014 05:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,
here is my attempt. 3rd

designer74 08-31-2014 11:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

Here's my 3 hour effort on this. After merging layers, I transformed part of the layer that was inconsistent with the rest (the kneeling man moved) so that it was aligned.

I sharpened the image a lot and adjusted brightness to highlight subjects.
I attached a cropped closeup to see face detail. (unfortunately much of the detail was lost in downsizing for 100kb)

Each channel was retouched to remove damaged areas (trees, right side, etc.) including transposing good areas from one channel onto a damaged area from another, followed by adjustments to match channels density average.

I would appreciate critique/feedback.

Thanks,
Tom W.

http://tomwarrenphotography.com/

T Paul 09-07-2014 04:51 PM

To keep the contest thread to just entries, I have moved all of your great discussion posts to the Aug-Sep 2014 Contest Discussion Thread.

T Paul 09-07-2014 04:55 PM

For those of you with more than one entry post, please delete or move your extra entry posts in order to avoid having your entries disqualified. :depressed

If you are having difficulty doing this, just let me know. You can also edit your post and add "please move to discussion thread" or "not for contest entry", and I will move those posts to the discussion thread.

daygraphics 09-11-2014 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is it. My last stab. Still could work it more, but I've had my fun. Great exercise and I learned a lot.

LonK 09-14-2014 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"Woodcutters on the Svir River" (1909)
by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky (1863-1944)
Merged, adjusted and corrected color separations, restored and enhanced.