RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

March 05 Contest Discussion

Old 04-01-2005, 09:07 AM

Vikki - Congratulations! You ought to write a book about restoration with emphasis on colorization. I'll be the first one to buy it!

righthanddesign - I hope you didn't question my sanity. I voted for you.

I must say, this contest turned out well. Despite differences in opinion, the best work still stood out. A lot of great suggestions here for future contests. But please, let's not forget the very purpose of this forum: sharing of techniques and ideas. It need not be a cutthroat competition.

The current rules are simple and fair enough. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 09:19 AM

Thumbs down Great job Vikki..

Congrats. to everyone who participated and who made the contest so interesting and diverse and fun, and especially to Vikki.
I agree the contest should be as simple as possible and like the suggestion that no names, just numbers should show on entries. Like the idea that only entrants can vote - this is definitely an incentive to enter.
Also more guidance on size would be nice.
Maybe part of the winner's prize should be to write a tutorial on their approach, or in this case on skin tones??

MargaretM
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 10:23 AM

I agree with everyone and did not mean to offend anyone. I was just saying that the voting should be on the rules set forth by the moderator, just not on certain things you like. The rules for April seem great and much clearer, good job. It was just weird how the voting was following a certain pattern and then some people were voting for people way out in left field. I have a bluntness with words and I didn't mean I was really questioning peoples sanity just merely if they were looking the same pictures I was looking at. I am excited at this months contest and look forward to entering. Good luck to all..
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Gary i am sorry i got you mixed up, as i associate that little man as you, not a new member.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 05:13 PM

No problem, I realised when I saw the other Gargamel, what had happened.

My Gargamel's now green, it matches my complexion after a good night on the Guiness.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
...My Gargamel's now green, it matches my complexion after a good night on the Guiness.
I didn't know the name of your avatar until now, and after looking it up, I understand that you could paint it any color except "Smurf blue" without doing it any disservice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 03:04 AM

Hi everybody!!

Sorry for not reacting earlier .... been busy with the flu....

First of all, congratulations to Vikki for her first place!!!! Like always, when I saw her entry I just went "WOW" ....

Congratulations to all 'competitors' for their excellent entries ... The high quality of the results made voting a very hard task ....

Great contest!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Paul
Flora – the skin tone in your entry was so real. How do you create your skin tone and achieve the lovely softness to your image?
Thanks T Paul! ....
Mostly, I used the method described in the 'worth1000' tutorial for colorizing this picture ... for the restoration I just went through my usual routine ....

Colorizing is a procedure I've seldom done and while I feel very comfortable with plain 'restorations', I never feel really satisfied with my colouring .... that's why I feel and always say that "it's not my thing" and I take as a great compliment wooden_bender's comment:
Quote:
i think she's fibbing about coloring not being her thing
Using now a different and differently calibrated monitor (gosh I hate this 'calibration' thing!! ) I can see and agree with all the critics about my 'vignette' .... too light and distracting .... Before submitting, I was undecided on the 3 different versions of my final result .... no vignette, dark vignette, light vignette .... my husband liked the light one ......

Thanks again to everyone for a great Contest and for the votes!!!

P.S. Gary, the new colour of your 'Gargamel' (like CJ, I never knew the name of your avatar before...) is very similar to my colour after the flu!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 AM

Glad you're over your flu. Don't think looking like Gargamel would suit you, and a green Gargamel even less.

As for your March contest entry, I'm like your husband, I liked the pale vignette.

So, now you're feeling better, I look forward to seeing what you can do with April's contest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 11:46 AM

Thanks Gary!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
So, now you're feeling better, I look forward to seeing what you can do with April's contest.
Downloaded the pictures .....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests