RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

March 05 Contest Discussion

Old 03-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Janitor

I don't know if anyone has had the inclination or not, but it's ok to discuss the various entries in this thread. Perhaps you have questions about someone's technique or would simply like to share your own?

And don't forget to invite people from other sites you might visit to join in. The more entries we get, the better the chances for offering a prize again next time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 09:04 AM

an idea...

At the time of writing this, there are some 20 entries. Until the end there should be quite a few more (mine included!).
Voting for the five best, and in order, is not going to be easy.

I'd suggest inventing some categories and giving points in each, something like:
Clean-up:
- Noise reduction (cleaning);
- Sharpness;
- Preserved details;
- Overall lighting.
Colourizing:
- Skin tones;
- Other objects;
- General Choice of colours.

Give each one a score (1 to 5) and add them up - if you want it more complicated, give a weight to each.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 09:47 AM

Excellent suggestions Ro. And although it is too late for this contest, I'd like to suggest that for further contests that the entries be submitted to a moderator and assigned a number so that voting would not have the potential for skewing toward a name rather than accomplishment.

I haven't submitted yet, but intend to. Working in chunks of 5-10 minutes at a shot is taking a lot longer than I anticipated.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 10:00 AM

Contest/site

Just wanted to say that I'm glad to have found this site... I haven't spent much time yet perusing it, but from what I've seen so far, it looks to be excellent! It's a great resource...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 10:09 AM

Hi Janet,

Ken Fournelle contacted me with exactly the scheme you're proposing, we both thought it a good way of increasing equality in judging. I believe Ken has contacted Doug directly about this.

Mofriday, welcome to RP, look forward to seeing contributions from you. You'll find everybody here helpful and informative.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 03-10-2005 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Mistyped name.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 01:00 PM

As I look through the entries items in your list is what I am using to help me judge. With so many wonderful entries I could not do it any other way.

I bring up each image and write down my numbers (my scale is 1-10) and add up the total.
I have a few other categories in my list - but it covers the same theme as yours.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Contest

Just a thought.....

It may make it interesting for the voting to make the entries anonymous. May decrease bias if we didn't know whose name is attached to which picture.

T
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 03:28 PM

byRo, I like your idea too. It's good that the judging is limited to what was originally required.

TylerRB, good suggestion re:to make the entries anonymous.

Doug, I was wondering why you didn't start a category in the Galleries for "Contests". It's so convenient for viewing (and possibly voting).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 03:32 PM

I agree with Vikki i think it should have been a contest where people sent the pictures to TPaul and that person given a number, then the pictures added to a gallery and the entrancees goto the gallery and choose a 1st 2nd 3rd maybe, and that would have been better. JMHO
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 05:15 PM

DOUG -- Can these entries be moved/copied into Gallery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
Doug, I was wondering why you didn't start a category in the Galleries for "Contests". It's so convenient for viewing (and possibly voting).
Doug,

You haven't stated yet whether the Gallery could be used for the Contests, so I'm seconding Vikki's request --

Can the entries for this first contest be moved into a section of the Gallery?
(either by a moderator, or by each entrant doing their own -- possibly having to rename the entry so that the software would allow them to upload a file that already exists)

Viewing in the Gallery allows us to see many of them side by side which can be very helpful when choosing between similar entries. Using byRo's rating strategy is certainly very useful, but when there are 2 or more that are very close in quality in a category -- viewing them side by side would help determine any differences. (It can be done in the threads, but not as easily.)

Janet/Ken F./Gary et.al idea of anonymity is another EXCELLENT idea -- there are many friendly folks here in the forums, and it's hard not to think about that when you're trying to vote objectively on a somewhat subjective quality -- lighting, skin tones, etc. No one here wants to "slight a friend", even in a friendly competition -- not knowing whose entry you're rating makes it easier if you find out later that you rated a buddy lower than the newbie you haven't met yet.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 03-09-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests