Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

March 05 Contest Discussion

Old 03-09-2005, 04:29 PM
The gallery doesn't have the software controls necessary. And an anonymous contest would put an undue burden on the moderator. We have to design this so it can handle potentially hundreds of entries. Plus it's contrary to discussing the entries with the authors (which hasn't started yet, but I'm hopeful).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the official answer, Doug. (I don't know what those "software controls" would be or why they're necessary, but guess we have to figure out how to use the forum instead.)

As far as discussion regarding the entries, that could easily start AFTER the judging is done -- if there's any "competitive" folks entering, they might not want to give any "trade secrets" away until after their entry has been judged. Of course, since we're mostly into COOPERATION on these forums, there may be a lot of sharing of those trade secrets with people trying to get their entry ready for judging.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Doug, your saying the current Gallery software doesn't have the software controls necessary for hundreds of entries (as opposed to a small number of entries as with the regular Challenges)? That's too bad.
I have to tell you, in all honesty, I can't see myself clicking through hundreds of thumbnails. Do you think others will feel the same way, and not view all the entries? Particularly, the earlier entries, far down the page? Just brainstorming here....would it be possible to have larger thumbnails, so one could just scroll through the entries?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Vikki, I don't think it would be "fair" just looking at thumbnails (even bigger thumbnails), especially in a clean-up photo. Many times I've clicked on thumbnails and the big image seems very different from the preview.

Seems that we have some conflicting interests....
- We want a lot of entries, but that means we'll have to examine and classify each one (well, at least five of them);
- We want a competition, but Doug would like us to exchange experiences before the voting is over. Guess I'm one of them "competetive folks".

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Vikki's entry

I'm hoping that Vikki does get time for an entry even though she'll probably blow everyone out of the water. How 'bout you require the winner to provide an instructional step-by-step of how they did that? Looking forward to them all!

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 10:59 AM
my 2 cents

1. sad that the controls don't exist for anonymous .

2. larger thumbnails get my vote.

More folks might submit if they didn't have to stick their (virtual)necks out.

I agree much is missed in a smaller version but as Vicky said not many folks will take time to look at all entrys and the larger thumbs would expedite view selections.

what might be unique is rollovers that expand the thumbs in place ... making for a smaller grouping.. ok... maybe a little too far out there

Methods from the top contenders would be well read for sure.

if a boomerang doesn't come back it's a stick
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Flora says it isn't her thing....could have fooled me :)

Wow! Flora, you sure it isn't your thing BEAUTIFUL WORK!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Some points of view

Just another thought in the wind....

If all pictures was added by one person say the moderator with a number to a thread that is manned only by that moderator it would not need to have a "special gallery" the reasons are starring in peoples faces.

I got a email from a member that seems to have dropped out of the contest and i have not been able to contact that person since so i assume has left the forum.

Reasons for the Anom contest is this...

People on the forum some are famous for their work and will obviously provide a better picture than a newbie at the retouching, so in frank words that person is more likely to win a competition than a new person which is why i think and i am sure many others do that if it was a Number only entrance it would not be chosen from name only.

The contest is not over yet, but a manned thread (locked thread) could be done quite easily, with just the moderator adding the pictures and the thread would not need thumbsizes, just a number which anyone could do with ease.

I know this is the first contest you have done and it probably feels like a pain in the * but some ground rules do need to be set, for instance you could have a contest for people who have never attempted this before and the ones that are known that can do this are not included, do you see my point?

Doug you have an excellent forum this is just opinions which i think this thread was wanting people to address.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 02:34 PM
I cannot imagine dropping out of a contest because I see someone else's work or if I know who is entering. You don't get anywhere in life with that kind of attitude. You do your best and you enter. I am sure we all know where we are in the pecking order of retouching abilities. One person might have a strength in one area, but be weak in another. Some people are just phenominally talented. It is seeing other's work that lets us know where we must improve. I personally like to see what I'm up against.

Thats just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Ditto, grafx.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests