RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

March 05 Contest Discussion

Old 03-10-2005, 05:26 PM

Greetings all.

Anonymous entries would be nice, but since we are voting for top three, it seems we have some interesting options when it comes to counting votes: Total number of votes versus totals for position one, position two, or position three, and then some highly complex scheme for boiling all those numbers and determinig a "winner".

I don't care -- it's all just a game to me. :-)

Now a question: is our entry final when it's uploaded, or can we revisit it and upload another version before the deadline? Some of us are a wee bit obsessive-compulsive and can't seem to stop tweaking it. Sorry if that was addressed elsewhere and I missed it.

Just asking.

Thanks all.

Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 05:48 PM

My point i see some have got the wrong end of it, i guess that is cos we all have different cultures.

Ok take a ponder on this...

I see a few very good restorers like Flora, Vikki, Gary, why not ask these good people to judge the contest.

And the rest who are not in the catergory of trained or very good at this kind of work be the ones that enter your contest; that to me sounds fair.

Because right now if you ask us to pick our winners more than likely its going to be ones we know are good at this type of challenge.

Goodnight all
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Lightbulb Me-thinks

I think we have to develop a 'Contest Section' in order to get this organized and more participation, since the contests are good for everybody...
Just my humble opinion
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Janitor

I don't buy into this "the mayor's wife always wins the strawberry preserves contest at the county fair" thought process. Saying that knowing who made an entry will affect voting is insulting to everyone, including those that haven't even joined yet.

Look at all the most popular contests on the net, none of them are anonymous.

And I don't make the software. I'd like Photoshop to play MP3 files and have a popup calculator, and it's probably possible with enough knowledge and resources, but I don't have the knowledge and resources to do all that's being asked here. We work with what we got. I can change some colors and customize some settings, even skin some very different programs so they resemble each other, but beyond that I'm at the mercy of the programmers.

As for the other suggestions, we can change this from month-to-month, so keep them coming.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 09:50 PM

I'm sure most of us will vote for the pics we like best and chances are the winner will be a known and respected restorer (makes sense to me), but like any 'open' contest, you never know until the votes are in. Maybe some won't have time to look at all the entries, and different people will use different criteria for judging, but seems to me the contest procedures are simple and fair. I predict that the winning restoration will be very nice - and the runner-ups too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 01:52 AM

How They Do This

I was very surprised when I found this link and what I've seen there.

Progressive colorization
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 01:58 AM

Just my 5 pennies worth.

Regarding viewing the images. As each comes in I save it to a folder on my hard drive using a number and author as file name. Then I add a number in the top left corner of each image.

I then view them as a slideshow, allotting points on various categories. All I can see when I view them is a number, that way they stay anonymous to me.

Each image is only 100K in size, so it takes up little disk space. OK if there were thousands this might use up a lot of disc space, but for the limited numbers we're likely to have, I don't find it a problem, and I've got a relatively small hard drive compared to some.

After the contest I just wipe those I don't want to keep and study.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 03-11-2005 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 05:52 AM

Lightbulb Thank you all

Gary I do the same thing.
I am learning so much about Photo restoration.
Thanks to some of you for taking the time to answer my E-Mails.
I know that we all are busy in or own way but, to take the time to
Talk to me is great and apprecated.
Wayne
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 11:47 AM

Gary - that is a great idea!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 10:14 PM

Wow, I leave town for a week and look at all the discussion! Looks like there are a lot of good suggestions and that this contest thing will be a learning experience for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Adams
Now a question: is our entry final when it's uploaded, or can we revisit it and upload another version before the deadline? Some of us are a wee bit obsessive-compulsive and can't seem to stop tweaking it. Sorry if that was addressed elsewhere and I missed it.

Just asking.

Thanks all.

Mark
Mark,
You can delete and upload a new entry until the deadline. Just remember that you are only allowed one entry. Also make note once the deadline arrives, that the entry thread will be locked and the participants will start voting on their favorite entries. And Mark, I'm a bit of a perfectionist too, so I fully understand the tweaking!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests