RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

March 05 Contest Discussion

Old 03-12-2005, 01:29 AM

Thumbs down Gary -- the man with the solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
Regarding viewing the images. As each comes in I save it to a folder on my hard drive using a number and author as file name. Then I add a number in the top left corner of each image.

I then view them as a slideshow, allotting points on various categories. All I can see when I view them is a number, that way they stay anonymous to me.
Gary, I hadn't thought of doing that, but it's a Brilliant Solution! Thanks for solving two of the "big problems" in one swoop!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 02:44 AM
Janitor

Maybe next contest we can institute some file naming conventions. It was kind of silly for me not to do that this round, since I have seen that done elsewhere. Live/learn/etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 06:48 PM

Gary, I like your idea and will do the same. Thanks for the idea.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 01:13 AM

Glad I could help a few people. As long as you keep an eye on the entrants as they come in, the amount of work involved in downloading, re-naming and adding a number, is minimal.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 02:59 AM

Gary,

great idea!!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 09:12 AM

Such beautiful work eveyone, lovely renditions, you have all done marvelously!!!!!

Keep them coming...

If your lurking, save the picture and have a go, and de-lurk we really would love to see your work!!!

Have a great day everyone

Elle
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 12:10 PM

Great suggestion Gary. That's what I did as I like to view photos as a slideshow.

Some lovely entries so far. I have enjoyed viewing the different interpretations…eye color, dress color, rose color and so on. I hope to see a lot more!

And again, don’t be shy! Many people who have never tried a colorization have given it a go and posted their entries. It’s a great way to learn. Also if you have questions about the technique or just need some general guidance don’t hesitate to post your question in this thread. I’m sure the members and/or contest participants would be happy to share their techniques.

So as Legacy~Art said, "If your lurking, save the picture and have a go, and de-lurk we really would love to see your work!!!"

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 12:19 PM

For those of you downloading the images, you may want to wait until after the deadline to ensure you have the most current entry, or at least go through the thread and see if any entries have a “last edited” comment at the end of their post. This may mean that they have updated their entry since you downloaded it. I just want to make sure that everyone is voting on the same image!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 12:23 PM

Thanks T, had'nt thought of that, I'll just have to keep looking for edits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 09:49 PM

Well I submitted my entry, my first try at a colorization.

I didn’t realize how difficult and time consuming this would be, and addictive! I started with the Worth 1000 colorization tutorial using primary color layers. This wasn’t the best tutorial for a beginner, but I got good results. Now the tutorial walks you through creating the skin tone and the reds, but doesn’t get into the other colors, so you have to think back to that color wheel from art class…yellow and blue make green, or the zip lock bags’ commercial. Anyway, I tweaked for a while and got decent results, especially the skin tone; but I really wanted to improve the other colors without spending all day tweaking the layer mixtures. So I add a few more layers and started painting in color mode. This helped me get the colors that I really wanted and after many layers, I finally had an image I was happy with.

I have enjoyed viewing the entries and seeing the subtle choices people have made. What color dress, rose, eyes, is it a leaf or a petal and so on. Some people added the bottom half of the body, some as a dress and one as a nude. Some added eye shadow, and there was one that the rose’s tips were a different color…very nice. Others added more roses, fingernail polish, eyelashes and so on. It’s been fun and I hope the entries keep on coming!

One reminder, make sure after you click on a thumbnail to view an image, that you click on the image again, as many browser resize the image and shrink it for easier viewing. Usually all you have to do is place your mouse in the lower right-hand corner of the image and the shrink/enlarge box will pop up. Just click on the box and the image will change to its full size.

Last edited by T Paul; 03-17-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests