Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

March 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Before I cast my votes, may I just commend everyone who entered this contest for the high standard of entry. It was very difficult to choose a top five from them.

What I did was first of all judge each individually and allocate points. From these I selected the top ten.

I then compared each to its neighbour. The one I preferred, I moved to the left. By repeating this process over and over, I finally put them in order of preference.

I then took the top five, and reviewed my choices. Then I went away, had a coffee and reviewed them again with fresh eyes.

All were done blind, the only indication I had was a number which I’d allocated to each entry.

From this, my choices were as follows.

1st Flora This was probably the easiest choice. Her overall treatment of the image was complete. The restoration was superb, and her skin colouring had depth and subtlety. I liked the soft white vignette, giving the image a soft romantic feel.

2nd Terivon I really liked the choice of colour in this one, it had a fresh light feeling. The combination of hair, skin, eye and rose colours just worked for me. Had the restoration been a little more subtle, and the skin tone had a little more depth, this would have been my first choice.

3rd T Paul Lovely skin tones and beautifully done eyes put this in 3rd place for me, it was really tight between this one and Vicky’s. I think the general retouching of the background is what separated them.

4th Vicky Wonderful skin tones and variations of light were what I chose here, however, I felt the background retouch let it down slightly.

5th Cedwar Another lovely colourisation. Again, nice eyes and depth of skin tone. However the skin colour was a little too pink for me, and the overall impression was a little pale.

All the above are outstanding pieces of work, and I would be more than happy had I produced any of them, I would appreciate it greatly if any or all of them could give a breakdown of their technique after the contest.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Great reviews so far…keep the coming!

Originally Posted by Sean2
Prior to T Paul pointing out that senior members may be, relatively speaking, new to photoshop, while new members may be seasoned hands, my vote may have gone very differently.
Actually it was TwinbNJ and Gary Richardson who pointed that out (smile)...

Last edited by T Paul; 03-24-2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:44 PM
View all contest entries

I've loaded all the contest entries into one gallery.
The numbers on the images corresponds to the thread number the owner posted in the contest at RetouchPro.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks Vikki, that is very helpful and extremely nice of you!
Old 03-24-2005, 09:12 PM

I really want to compliment everyone that entered the contest and to say that I learn so much by participating in these challenges. Reading all of your comments and seeing your work is all part of this learning process that I am enjoying so much.
I love vintage photos, and I like to see the subject look natural in the environment that it is in, and that the colors fit the time period of the photo.

Here are my votes:

1. Vikki- I think that you did beautiful job. Your image is soft and natural and kept the integrity of the subject.

2. Flora- I love the soft romantic feel of your background, as well as the nice natural colors that you achieved.

3. wooden_bender- your color is very nice and your work looks very natural.

4. T Paul- I like the drama that you achieved with your darker background and bold colors, while still keeping a vintage look to the photo.

5. soleah- I just kept going back to this one. I think I just like the color and overall look of the work. Nice job.

Although this was a contest, I think that everyone who participated is a winner if you look at what we each learn from the experience.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Judging was difficult!!
It was a tough decision all the way. In particular for 1st and 2nd.
1 - righthanddesign: This looked to me like the most natural looking coloring and most closely kept the original image intact.
2 - Flora: This image just looks good. There is a wonderful softness about it that suits the image. The coloring is wonderful. The only thing that kept this from being 1st was the white vignette.
3 - Wooden bender: Very nice sking tones, and good application.
4 - TPaul: Nice coloring, especially on the white netting.
5 - Soleah: The coloring looks good and gives the image a nice vintage look. Clean up is good, although admit maybe a touch blurry.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:57 AM
It was close, close, close!

1. Vikki
2. Flora
3. Doug Colwell
4. Graphx
5. Erivon

Old 03-25-2005, 07:48 AM
I am not very good at critising peoples work, so i shall just add the names.

1st. Flora
2nd. Mark Adams
3rd. Janet Petty
4th. 1stlite
5th. Soleah

If the people i have chosen would like to know why i shall let them know by Private message.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:32 AM
1. Vikki: I liked the bright, vibrant, realistic colors.

2. Flora: A very, very close second to Vikki. What put it in 2nd was the vignette.

Vikki and Flora both did an exceptional job although on my monitor at least they were both a tad too dark to distinguish the hair from the background very well.

3. TPaul: Again almost too close to call. The work is outstanding.

4. Mike Tex: Good coloring. Easy to see. Just a tad yellow on my monitor.

5. Saby: Nice coloring. Nice execution. Nice contrast.

If there could be a 6th, it would go to Migates. Although the picture was smaller than the others in size, from what I could see, the job done was very nice.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:43 AM
My Vote..

This was tough - so many good entries.
My strategy was first to establish a group of finalists based on skin tones. Then I went through these and eliminated those that were too touched or unnatural looking or too dark. Then looked closely at lips and eyes.
My vote is
1st: #16 Vikki very natural and soft.
2nd: #33 Byron liked his use of color and again a soft light look.
3rd #40 Soleah -great coloring just had a bit of trouble with the brigt green leaves.
4th: #35 Wooden Bench - Nice coloring - eyes a little too touched maybe?
5th: #15 Mark Adams - nice lush rendering. Had trouble with this spot.
Overall a great contest- let's do it again.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests