Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

March 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by 1STLITE
Not sure whose was whose but thank you so much for putting them in a gallery - made this a whole lot easier to do.

1) #27 = TPaul
2) #9 = TwinbNJ
3) #40 = Soleah
4) #4 = Flora
5) #35 = Wooden Bender

Great contest and they were all so hard to choose "best". Everyone put in a great effort!
Doug, I took the liberty of matching up the numbers.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Great Contest ... excellent entries ... great tips and help .... too bad it's only possible to vote for 5 entries ....

1° Vikki .... her colorizing made me want to stare at the image forever ... In my opinion, the image could have been a bit sharper but the accuracy in the details made up for the softness... I think Vikki is the only one who enhanced the lace (half hidden from the veil and easily confused for 'noise') on the girl's top!!!

2° T Paul ... Beautiful!! A clean and perfectly balanced restoration, beautiful colours and enhancing of highlights and shadows ... the only thing missing is the 'dimple' on the girl's chin...

3° wooden_bender .... Great restoration, beautiful colours ... the only 'jarring note' is the complete lack of colour in most of the veil and top ...

4° righthanddesign ... The image is still a bit 'blotchy' and noisy but the colouring is superb!! The detail of the reddish ends on the rose's yellow petals is simply brilliant!!!!

5° cedwar .... muted and vibrant at the same time .... I kept going back to look at it another time ....

Voting was very hard ... all the entries had something I liked very much ... and after having limited my choice to 10 pictures it became even harder ....
Old 03-26-2005, 11:48 PM
My deepest apologies for not "taking the time". Hard to do with two kids at your feet. Some folks dont have the luxury of sitting at a desk all day. Next time I will wait til midnight when I have time (but not sleep - lol).

Thanks Kiska, for taking the time to do what I didn't.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:31 AM
Thumbs down

The restoration has to stay true to the original.

These are my favorites:

1. cazubi - The color effectively evoked the right mood for this photo: feminine and nostalgic. The catch light to the eyes were left virtually untouched, which is just so, since it preserved the dreamy look of the eye. The noise is still very noticeable but it added to the nostalgic feel of this photo.
I think this is what the photo is suppose to look like, the girl just got out of the bed, tousled hair, dreamy look, probably looking at herself in the mirror.

2. righthanddesign – Cleaned up very well, leaving a little bit of noise. The colors are excellent especially on the hair and the rose.

3. Vikki – As usual, outstanding work. The skin tones are great. Cleaned up very, very well.

4. Flora – This is the most lifelike of all restoration. Soft and lovely. Skin tone and colors are magnificent. Very brave in coloring the shawl purple. A perfect balance of noise reduction and preservation of detail. It just looked a bit hazy. But then again, maybe it’s the haze that added to the appeal. For somebody who claimed coloring is not her thing, look what she came up with.

5. wooden bender – The black hair and eyes are so natural looking. Her eyes seem to stare right at you.

Honorable mentions: cedwar, T Paul, grafx – I just have to mention them. Their interpretations are wonderful.

Hopefully, we’ll see more of this kind of contest in the future. I just wish that I do not have to do turn in an entry to cast a vote.

To everybody, great work!

Last edited by soleah; 03-28-2005 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:43 AM
1. Tpaul
what a job trying to narrow it down to only five. after my first reveiw I looked at my list there were fifteen entries on it thats when the hard work started
Old 03-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Well as everybody who's voted knows by now, this was an extremely difficult contest to judge because there were so many outstanding entries. I did a blind test by putting the entries into iView Media Pro, renaming and randomizing. My main criterion was "if the original photographer had had access to color film and a good method of long-term storage, what would the picture look like?"

Unfortunately for me, as I went through, I found over a quarter of them fit this description. So in the later stages I tried to use the technical criteria posted by Ro the other day, which was difficult and iffy, since I don't consider myself an expert in any of them. The hardest part was getting down to five, although the order of those five was no cinch either. Here's what I finished with.

1. Vikki
2. righthanddesign
3. wooden_bender
4. Xaran
5. terivon
Old 03-28-2005, 05:22 PM
First, congratulations to everyone who participated.
Remember there may be only one winner but there are no losers here.

I did give "grades" for each aspect and ended up with a group of six top contenders. Then I compared each side by side until I got them in the final order:

1) vikki
2) soleah
3) T Paul
4) cedwar
5) Doug Colwell

If anybody is interested, I zipped an Excel file with the whole list...

Attached Files
File Type: zip March (3.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Special mentions:
Best Rookies: Doug Colwell, terivon, righhanddesign, wooden bender, sweaz
Best Clean-up: cedwar
Best colourizing: vikki
Best Rose: righthanddesign

Old 03-28-2005, 06:42 PM
I know it's only the 28th and the contest goes to the 31st but I just had to take this opportunity to personally thank all those who have voted for me so far or plan to do so. It's gratifying to see that when you spend a ton of time perfecting your image so that it is sharp, tonally fact a work of art, it is appreciated.

Throw me a bone, will ya!!

ps. For all those tastless voters out there..Happy Easter!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Thumbs down My Votes

1. 29 - Janet Petty
2. 16 - Vikki
3. 32 - terivon
4. 19 - mofriday
5. 20 - Peter S

Last edited by T Paul; 03-28-2005 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Names Added
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests