Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

March 05 Contest Votes

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2005, 06:14 PM
March 05 Contest Votes

Voting will run from 24 March to 31 March.

Only those with entries may vote.

Vote for the 5 best entries in order.

Note you cannot vote for your own image.

Check this out!
Originally Posted by Vikki
I've loaded all the contest entries into one gallery.
The numbers on the images corresponds to the thread number the owner posted in the contest at RetouchPro.

Last edited by T Paul; 03-26-2005 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Example Vote:
Pick the top five contest entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place and so on)
3. Entry Q
4. Entry S
5. Entry P

Remember that you cannot vote for yourself. If you do, your votes will be deleted.

Also only those that entered the contest may vote. All other votes will be deleted.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:32 AM
This thread will remain closed until it's time to vote (24 March to 31 March).

Voting will close at 5pm EST on 31 March so that the votes can be tallied.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Suggestions on Voting

Confused how to vote…

Ro came up with this excellent suggestion

I'd suggest inventing some categories and giving points in each, something like:
- Noise reduction (cleaning);
- Sharpness;
- Preserved details;
- Overall lighting.
- Skin tones;
- Other objects;
- General Choice of colours.

Give each one a score (1 to 5) and add them up - if you want it more complicated, give a weight to each.
The key is to view all images at their full size and use the same voting method for all.

Another good suggestion for viewing the images was provided by Gary:

Regarding viewing the images. As each comes in I save it to a folder on my hard drive using a number and author as file name. Then I add a number in the top left corner of each image.

I then view them as a slideshow, allotting points on various categories. All I can see when I view them is a number, that way they stay anonymous to me.

Each image is only 100K in size, so it takes up little disk space.
After the contest I just wipe those I don't want to keep and study.
Important Reminder:
For those of you downloading the images, you may want to wait until after the deadline to ensure you have the most current entry, or at least go through the thread and see if any entries have a “last edited” comment at the end of their post. This may mean that they have updated their entry since you downloaded it. I just want to make sure that everyone is voting on the same image!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Okay, it’s time to vote! For those that don’t want to download each photo, here is another option.

Determine your scoring process and then go through each photo online, one by one. Remember to view them in full size. Take a paper pad and right the name and score and move on to the next. This may take a while, but just remember all the time you put into your entry. It’s only fair that you take the time to view everyone else’s entries. You would want them to take the time to view yours, wouldn’t you?

For added viewing and a final critique you might download your top ten to your desktop to view as a slideshow and rescore them to determine your top five.

The process is up to you. Just be fair and remember to take your time. The challenge of this contest was to restore and colorize the image. That is what you are judging.
Restoration: an act of restoring or the condition of being restored : as bringing back to a former condition. The restoration process covers a number of stages. Some examples are:
• removing dust and scratches
• general cleaning of areas
• removal of tears and sticky tape lines
• contrast improvement
• etc.
Colorization: to add color to a black-and-white image by means of a computer
You have until 5pm EST on 31 March to submit your votes.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:10 PM

When you do vote, it might be helpful to include some things you especially liked about your choices…what made them stand out, what impressed you, etc. This is a learning experience!
Old 03-24-2005, 08:00 AM
My Vote

First off, let me say, I had a VERY difficult time with these choices to be honest. Initially, I narrowed it down to my favorite 12, and then really battled to get that number under 10. There are exceptional works here and beautiful perspectives all across the board. For everyone who entered this contest, I want to thank you for the experience, I've learned alot from viewing this young lady through your eyes.

Here are my choices and my feedback:
1.) Flora - Flora's photograph is just exceptional, hands down. There was a terrible battle over 1st, however, what won flora for me, was she never lost sight of her subject. When you look at the photograph beyond the soft filter, she has handled the shadow issue and the color balance with finesse and brilliance. Beautifully done Flora!
2.) TPaul - I REALLY had a difficult time placing this one second, and spent quite a bit of time with my two top picks side by side. What I love about this photograph is the remarkable clarity of the subjects features, and the captured mood of this beautiful lady. The eyes are so remarkably well done, that it is difficult to not sit and stare at her.The skin tone is beautiful, rose is georgeous and believable, which isn’t always that easy when colorizing a flower. I LOVE the hair color, yet found myself wishing there was just a bit more detail here to balance out the detail that has been so painstakingly placed in the rest of the photo. Very Well Done!
3.) Vikki - Vikki has a exceptional eye for play of light as well as reflective hue variations. Her skin tones are an interwoven mixture of the many hues that would occur naturally. I believe however the backlighting that she applied behind the hair of the subject TRULY showed off the varying depths of color, allowing the soft touchable effect of the subject’s hair to be remarkably well done! The soft effect reflects the romantic nature of the subject matter. Very well done Vikki!
4.)Cedwar: (I mispelled your name Cedwar, I'm fixing it now. I apologize) Cedwar’s color choices are drop dead gorgeous, making me wish I had chosen his pallette for my own work. The clarity of this young lady’s features combined with the color pallette makes it a VERY good piece of work! If I could change anything, I would wish to be able to see her eye colour a bit better, and have a bit of a truer rose blush, as it seems to lose a bit of the battle to the naturally occuring shadow in the subjects neck region. It is right up there with my favorites, and was equally difficult to place in 4th.
5.)Wood Bender - This one was so difficult! If I could have changed just a few touchups here and there, this photograph could have easily been among my first choices! The rough texture of the tuille wrap, and the missing detail of the eyes and play of light on the subject's hair is the only thing that really kept me going back and looking at this restoration and battling. Because I tell you, the skin tone is just exceptional, the color pallette is dead on, and the antique angel face rose (I grow these in my garden) which the subject is holding is a very difficult color to capture and be believable. It's a well balanced photograph and remarkably beautiful.

Those are my choices. It was SO HARD! Good luck to everyone!!

Last edited by terivon; 03-24-2005 at 08:59 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 03-24-2005, 09:05 AM

Excellent voting review! I hope others follow in your footsteps with similar detailed remarks! You obviously took a lot of time in this and it is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Best "REAL" colorization

Well I vote a little differently. I like a photo where you can't tell there has been anything done to it. To me a good colorization job is one that isn't at first noticable. I want to see the picture first then the color not the other way around. I have never liked blurry retouches it is a first dead give away something has been done to it. I have never seen blurry skin in real life. To me old pictures are beautiful with the slight textures they have and I wanted mine to preserve that. With that said I will be voting on the ones that look the most real as an old colorized picture.
1. Vikki - the most unnoticable retouches very nice and clean.
2. T paul
3. cdwar
4. Wooden Bender
5. Flora - great job on color just didn't like the blurry cloudy feel
sorry I have to go to work I don't have time to write about each one I will later. Great job everyone!

Last edited by righthanddesign; 03-24-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:51 AM
As with Teri,

I too would like to congratulate all of the participants and premise my vote with the following:

Prior to T Paul pointing out that senior members may be, relatively speaking, new to photoshop, while new members may be seasoned hands, my vote may have gone very differently. However, with that in mind, I tried to account for many of the points raised by Ro and others. Art and colorization being an highly subjective medium, I came up with five choices that were based on my admittedly new foray into art in general and digital specifically.

1.) Cedwar - This picture is inspiring. The masking and blending is excellent. The hair has a slight bit of untouched material, but the precision and sharpness of the picture was a visceral draw. It looked like a little bit of grey may have been left between teeth and lip, but in looking closer it appears as lip "shadow" in the close up. I could find little wrong with this picture, that was not compensated for by its ability to draw the eye. First Class! Would love to know how this was masked/ blended so seamlessly

2.) Flora - A lovely picture, good tone and softness on a beautiful portrait. The face could have used a little more sharpness, but the blending was excellent here as well. Color choices were soft and compelling and despite the comprehensive softness, it led the eye to focus on the primary target. Would like to have seen a reduction in the eye shadowing, as much of the initial shadow was removed, but other than that, Excellent work! This too I would love to see a tutorial or descriptive summary for.

3.) Cazubi - This was another favorite of mine, and where it seemed to lack the substantial impact of what we see as "skin tones", it was this, not porcelain, but rather delicate skin that really helped with this picture (for me). Masking / colorizing was good and the background complemented the picture without being over-powering. Keep at it Cazubi

4.) Wooden bender- What an unusual handle. However, this was obviously the work of someone who has been reading or had lots of hands-on experience in photoshop or other digital medium. Perhaps a technician. The overall skin tones are attractive, the masking is excellent again. The purple rose was a bit of an oddity, but compelling with the overall color scheme, none-the-less. I liked the smile and the picture. Well done WB!

5.) T Paul- I wasn't at all sure about this picture. As easy as the first 4 were for me, the 5 th was the one that took all of the time. With so many wonderful entries, it seemed that I would not be able to come up with a decision. In the end the choice was made because of the "strength" of the color tones, the vividness of the rose and the adherence to the restoration artifacts as they were on the original. A great piece of technical work, that somehow did not compel me as did the first four.

My apologies for selecting and positioning pictures on how they struck me viscerally, perhaps more than technically, but I could do nothing else. Any explanations on how these colorizations were achieved would be absolutely and unreservedly welcome.

ps - I hope I have the right pictures - never know when you get the names mixed up with someone else's work. If something seems amiss, please let me know and I will compare my 5 with the entries once again (admittedly, I have already done this over and over again already :-)
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests