RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Contests (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/contests/)
-   -   Contest Images (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/contests/9949-contest-images.html)

T Paul 03-01-2005 06:17 PM

Contest Images

Do you have an image that would be perfect for a future contest? Post them here and they just might be used!

We are looking for all kinds of images...retouching, colorization, perhaps a portrait to turn into a glamour shot and so on. Got a challenging photo? Post it here!!

T Paul 04-20-2005 08:24 AM

Don't forget I am always looking for images for future contests....
  • Have an image that needs retouching?
  • Have two images that need to be combined?
  • Want your photo glamorized or turned into art?
  • Have a black and white image that you would like colorized?

Post your image here or send me a PM with your idea!

philbach 05-18-2005 03:54 PM

Regan

1 Attachment(s)
This photo is a toughie and may be a nice one to put in a future contest. This is a jpg, but I could send it in higher resolution and tiff if you would like. What makes this tough is that it has severe color distortion that is not uniform. There is texture in the print and a variety of artifacts. The tie or whatever on the left side of the print leaves the retoucher with a problem.

T Paul 05-18-2005 09:47 PM

Thanks Philbach! I will keep it in mind! :classic:

T Paul 05-31-2005 08:48 AM

Looking for Portrait Shots

I am looking for a good portrait shot to use for July's Glamour Retouch Contest. Does anyone have a photo I can use? You will need to have the permission of the person in the photo. Send me a PM and we will discuss it further.

THANKS!

T Paul 08-11-2005 07:37 PM

Still looking for phots as well as ideas for the monthly contests...PLEASE!

:)

Craig Walters 08-12-2005 10:09 PM

T_Paul,

no photos, though i'm looking a bit, but i do have an idea for you. most all of us know of the Muppets, and being good Muppet fans, we most all of us know about Miss Piggy and Kermit's, uh, relationship. now, let's say they got married. and let's further say they had children. hey, they're Muppets... who knows for sure ;) the idea, therefore, is what would the children actually look like?

i'll let your mind dwell on that one for a bit ;)

Craig

Vikki 08-13-2005 06:10 AM

Idea

How about a contest for changing a background (seems everyone is always looking to change backgrounds in their images).
There are plenty of good quality, high res, and free images to use here:
http://www.sxc.hu/index.phtml?DREAMI...05d2822bcd6900

Lorraine 08-13-2005 07:50 AM

I've used some photos from the following site.

http://www.pdphoto.org/

On that site, there are some beautiful scenic photos of Ireland that might give someone a contest idea.

http://www.pdphoto.org/PictureHome.p...at=pdef&md=cid

I hope this helps.

Lorraine

T Paul 08-13-2005 08:28 AM

Thanks for the input everyone!

I will always be looking for photos and suggestions so don't hesitate to add to this thread. :)

Caitlin 08-13-2005 08:57 PM

How about a composite competion - pixulz's post in the critiques section made me think of it. I don't know how one would do it exactly - either one person selects all the images, or you get people to submit one each, with maybe some retouch or restoration requirement thrown in?

smats 08-18-2005 12:19 AM

Why not just find a color photo with several defects. moire, color casts faded etc

I think the last three contests have been more towards retouching or photo-art. So why not a restoration?

But still it should have good photographic quality and scanned with high quality. It should be possible to bring out the qualities from the original data rather than trying to recreate the picture.

/Mats

PhotoB 08-18-2005 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an image I took that I'd like to see what people would do with it. Either in a Challenge or Photo-Art thread.

T Paul 08-18-2005 05:10 PM

For all images containing recognizable people, we also need the individual's permission to use their photo.

freddieanne 08-18-2005 06:27 PM

T Paul,

I have a photo from the '20's that I've been thinking would make a great contest restoration challenge. Only 2 of the people are still living and they were very young in the photo, hence not recognizable today. Would I still need permission to post it? It probably wouldn't be difficult to get permission.

From instructions from Doug in Archive section:

Quote:

Do not upload if you don't own the rights to the photo. Do not upload if you don't have permission of anyone recognizable in the photo (unless they're deceased)
Question: How does one determine who owns the rights to the photo if it's just something that has been passed down through one's family? I've got some great old stuff that I'd like to contribute to the Archives but I don't know if I have the right to.

Thanks,
Annabel

PhotoB 08-19-2005 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok. Then this one. This is of my son. And as his guardian, I give permission.

(and obviously, the first thing to change is the color. ;)

Doug Nelson 08-19-2005 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddieanne
Question: How does one determine who owns the rights to the photo if it's just something that has been passed down through one's family? I've got some great old stuff that I'd like to contribute to the Archives but I don't know if I have the right to.

You really can't. Welcome to my world :)
This is why we have so much trouble finding good Challenge and Contest material.

freddieanne 08-20-2005 12:38 PM

Hmmmmm..... Tricky world.

Is there a standard authorization/consent/release form to use? :question:

Just to clarify,

Quote:

Do not upload if you don't own the rights to the photo. Do not upload if you don't have permission of anyone recognizable in the photo (unless they're deceased)
Is it and(both)/or. Own rights and have permission of person? :dizzy:

Thanks for all you do.
Annabel

PhotoB 08-23-2005 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another idea...

Doug Nelson 08-25-2005 01:49 PM

Quote:

Must have both.

Jaime 08-30-2005 08:53 AM

Quote:

Hmmmmm..... Tricky world.

Is there a standard authorization/consent/release form to use? :question:

Just to clarify,

Thanks for all you do.
Annabel

Annabel,

For you and those interested, here are some links where you can find some information and samples about model releases:

Information on model releases

Basic model release

Adult and minor model release samples

freddieanne 10-18-2005 12:40 PM

Jaime,

Just remembered this thread and had time to check your links. Thanks! :pleased: Very useful info, I appreciate it.

Annabel

cathsaigh 02-28-2006 08:40 AM

Retouch Idea - Me at Ballybunioin, Ireland

1 Attachment(s)
This one has terrible light leak. Touch to retouch due to the many background transitions. I would love to have the group take a shot at this. I have a high-res version available.

Cathsaigh

Craig Walters 03-14-2006 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
T,

here's a picture that is a bit of a stinker. this photo is a proof, taken about 80 years ago when my mother was a bit younger. so, first, yes, i have all the necessary permissions/copyrights.

this picture is deteriorating quickly. it's in such bad condition that the emulsion has all dried up and is actually flaking off the paper. just to scan it i had to cover it in clear plastic to keep the flakes from coming off.

it is discernable, however, and i think it would make a great challenge. the larger scan is bigger and at 300 dpi. i can put the larger one up on my web site for download if used for the contest.

craig

PhotoB 03-17-2006 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh my Craig! That is awful!! Wow. I'll make sure I skip town when that one comes up as a challenge!! Wow.

And I thought this one was bad... this is a pic of my childhood home that my mom took when it was being built... gotta love the markered in trees!! LOL

Cameraken 03-26-2006 01:33 PM

Hi T.

An idea for a good contest.

Post an oil painting and the challenge would be to turn it back into a photograph.

Mona Lisa or similar would be a great challenge.

No permissions would be necessary. Just post a link to an oil painting on the net.

Ken.

chrishoggy 04-27-2006 11:25 AM

Another idea for a contest that may eliminate some of the issues with rules etc, and open the doors to creativity.

Before and after Contest:
Take a photo of yourself and use your skills or tips found here at retouch Pro to do with it as you wish. This is an open contest where you can be as creative as you wish with your image, or just show your retouching skills. The final image will contain both the original and retouched/modified image.

Rules:
1/ Image must be exactly 1000 x 500 pixels or below. Any image above this will have their votes discounted.
2/ It must show the before and after in the image
3/ It must fit within the 100 KB limit

Just a thought, as it may open the doors to people wanting to show kills they have, but have not been able to show in other contests. In turn it will share that skill with everybody else here.

chrishoggy 05-05-2006 01:37 AM

Just a thought about a gallery and voting system that may be of use here.

Coppermine gallery is a nice little setup that has a 1-5 point voting/rating system on. It also locks it down so you can't vote on your own image, and lets you comment on the images.
http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php

It's open source, so it could be modded to suit the needs of the contests here. I'm not sure, but I beleive it will also import/share the user DB from vBulletin.

blue dog 05-14-2006 04:11 AM

A "Memorial" Photo

This is the last of a very small number of photos of my brother who passed away back in the 80's. It was used 'as is' for the service. For a long time I have intended to do a memorial piece for the family but, never having done that, I lack good ideas.

This is probably a frequent task for pro retouchers. Lets put it out there and see what comes back. I would not put any restrictions on it other than making it a suitable memorial and 'require' contestants to give some clue as to how it they did it.

Please feel free to scrap this posting after you've read it.

Littlecoo 06-30-2006 11:51 PM

Image for Contest

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a portrait shot of my (then) 7yo brother I took a while back, but scanned from negative today. Permissions are granted for it's use on RetouchPRO site and thus for any of the contests. I can provide a high res if needed.

NancyJ 07-01-2006 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlecoo
Here is a portrait shot of my (then) 7yo brother I took a while back, but scanned from negative today. Permissions are granted for it's use on RetouchPRO site and thus for any of the contests. I can provide a high res if needed.

Not sure what contest use it would be but what an amazing photograph, who took it? Its almost perfect - for a straight out of the camera shot its incredible. I love the colours and the focus and the framing - wonderful! (and I dont say that a lot ;) )

Littlecoo 07-01-2006 09:35 PM

Why thankyou Nancy for the compliment :blush: I took it with an old Pentax K1000 with telephoto lens mounted (hence colour and depth of field) possibly with lens filter of some flavour...can't remember, under natural light conditions. Very basic setup lol!

chrishoggy 07-04-2006 08:54 AM

Just thought I'd add these to the collection of possible images for use.
http://www.sxc.hu/gallery/chrishoggy

Not sure how they could, or would be used as part of a contest. But if they can be used feel free :nod: ;)

Littlecoo 07-04-2006 09:24 PM

Cruel and Unusual Punishment?

2 Attachment(s)
How about this for a restore challenge. A couple of old proofs I had floating around. The first image is the one to be restored, the second image I added as a reference and an aditional source of image information for the first image.

Pocoroba 08-22-2006 02:31 PM

Make the sea come forth from the laptop

1 Attachment(s)
Using the four splash images, make the sea blast out of the laptop. Water can be flipped, rotated, warped, duped, cutout (expected) and should overlap his right hand or both. There could also be some overlap of the keyboard area.

I can provide higher resolution images if I'm instructed where to send them. 100kb limit here so...

Anyway, this is a fun compositing project and also quite challenging to pull off believably. I've already executed this image but I shouldn't post that, and allow for individual interpretation, rather than mimicking that. I won't participate in any contest using these images but I believe I should have judging rights. I would post the version I did in the discussion forum after the contest is over - for the curious.

omnifoto 08-25-2006 11:46 AM

Restoration chalenge

This is an old end of XIX Century pict, very deteriorated. It needs all kind of adjustments and more.
here is the tiff
www.esto.es/reto2.tif

cheers
Alberto

blue dog 10-20-2006 07:38 AM

Re: Contest Images

1 Attachment(s)
This 1934 oldie looks like a good foil for a fantasy art treatment and I'd love to see the ideas that would come of it. I tried a yellow brick road treatment but I didn't have the skill to pull off my vision. The only living person is my mother who has given me blanket permission to use her images.

irshgrlkc 11-25-2006 02:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a really bad photo of me (eek, wrinkles!) that could be used for a contest/challenge. I'm not wearing any makeup so some glamorizing and a background change would probably be a good thing. I have a much bigger file I can give if wanted. :)

T Paul 11-25-2006 10:10 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions everyone and keep them coming in! I'll run them by Doug!

juggler 06-14-2007 07:10 AM

I really like Kraellin idea of what kermit and miss piggy's child would look like. That is funny stuff. I can see a pig that hops after flys on frog legs swith a long tongue or a frog with a snout rolling in the mud. The possibilities are endless.