RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Whattaya Think?

Old 03-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Patron

BackGrounds

Well I guess its a matter of taste and not technical difficulty. The context of the photo probably determines what the background should be. I thought the steely background left me kind of cold. I sort of liked the bricks. Strong and Warm Background of a picture of a strong person. I did tone the bricks down some and blurred them. I did not work on the skin etc.
I guess we are all different
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 01:06 AM

Well, the pic is for a hall of fame induction here in my town. He needed a pic for them to display. The bricks were just whats on the outside of my building and we needed better lighting than we could get inside - it was a could day. I dont like the brick background personally, because I think it is too distracting from the subject. And while I do like your technique you used Swampy, I kinda think it is a bit dark and really does not make him really pop in the picture as he does with a lighter background. What I ended up doing, so far, was I changed the backround to a tan-ish color and then lowered the opacity of that to about 50% over the gray background. I like how that turned out better than just the tan because I think that his skin really comes out with the gray background, and this lowering the opacity of the tan was a good compromise between the coldness of the gray and the distraction of the tan. I will post the one I decided on when I get a chance, hopefully tomorrow.

Anyways, these were all great thoughts and great ideas. Love to see how everyone sees the same thing differently. Cool.

Dawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chris for Hall of Fame final for web.jpg (89.2 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by 1STLITE; 03-09-2005 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added the final pic
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 03:50 AM

Good for you!

The forum is like a learning curb and a soundboard all in one, what counts is you learn from your own talent and you share your views.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 12:10 AM

Dawn, I really liked what you did, especially your last rendition. Just a couple of ideas that may or may not make sense because a lot of it IS personal taste. For myself, I really like the way light reflects off black skin. This may be overdone but you get the drift. Also, backgrounds can have a profound impact on an image. Again I like your background but don't forget about your subject. In this instance, he appears to be a upstanding person with strong moral "fibre" so perhaps incorporating that idea into the background might make sense.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Chris.jpg (94.5 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 10:46 AM

He looks like a real sweetie, a really nice man doesn't he?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 02:49 PM

Great work!
I've had a go at it, too. I hope you don't mind...

* stretched BG to look like having taken with a telephoto lens.
* just experimented about 1 hour with lighting effects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chris.jpg (60.9 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 06:22 AM

sorry guys, the original image remains the best out of all of your attempts, the light is just not there to merge the subject on a studio type background.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 09:50 AM

Hi Denisp

I would not disagree with you. I do think that if you have the right skill sets, you can achieve something pretty darn good. It's understanding the right type of background, the right color temp, the extaction itself and how it blends in. So what we are looking for is criticism on how we can move things a little closer to reality with the new background. I've posted another attempt with a stucco background. I tried to match the luminosity levels with the original. The original was taken outside in what looks like open shade to his left. Therefore, I would assume a slight blue cast, even though the brick is red. Realizing the original may always be better, do you have any suggestions on how to improve my effort?

Just for interest I tried a slight drop shadow on my original attempt.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Chris1.jpg (87.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg D-Chris.jpg (93.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Duv; 03-13-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
...So what we are looking for is criticism on how we can move things a little closer to reality with the new background...
-You can say that again. We need to get back to the main subject on how to improve one's work.

- Your second one looks great, Duv. Except few sort-of-white dots(?) around him, lighting circumstances looks almost same to me.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques