RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Whattaya Think?

Old 03-08-2005, 12:07 PM

Whattaya Think?

Ok, I took this picture with my mom's digital camera (crappy old 2Mp HP thing but still better than mine - lol). I edited it in Photoshop. Tell me what you think. I was really proud of it but thought I might need a second (and third and fourth and...) opinion. Anything wrong with it? Any minor adjustments you think it needs. I tried to clean up the skin and age lines but not smooth the skin too much. So, gite it all you got here - I really need some more eyes. Thanks so much!!

Dawn

PS - keep in mind the low quality of these big pics, all that nasty stuff is not there in real life -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chris before.jpg (90.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Chris after.jpg (67.0 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by 1STLITE; 03-08-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 12:33 PM

Dawn....

ITS BRILLIANT!!!!

Well done you did a great job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 12:52 PM

Great job on the skintones in eliminating the shiney areas! The background leaves me kinda cold. Don't know if it's the color or streaks. It's such a great photo, I'd prefer to see a more "studio background" look. Maybe pick up the blue in the neck piece JMHO
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 01:47 PM

Red face

I know what you mean on that Swampy. At first when I thought about the backgroudn color I thought gray, but it was suggested by my SO to use tan or brown. I tried it and did not like that at all, and thought blue too - but that was just awful really. But as soon as I saw it with the gray I loved it. I guess its just a matter of personal taste though.

Now, the way the backgroudn turned out I kinda liked it. I thought it looked like really a piece of that cloth that photographers use for background (that I cannot think of the name of) I even liked this effect more so than the ones I have seen with adding noise and making that look like tiny streaks that are to simulate the texture of the fabric. I dunno, I may play around with this doing other background types and see what happens, just for play. JUST TRIED IT AND YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THAT ONE - IT IS REALLY TOO COLD. OFF TO MAKE SOME LAST MINUTE ADJUSTMENTS - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

And Thankya Legacy.

Ya'll have really made my day so far.

Dawn

Last edited by 1STLITE; 03-08-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 02:20 PM

Add a septia gradiant for the background i think its perfect as it is, but the septia will bring out the warm colors from his face!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Swampys idea i think!

Hi Dawn

This is just a guideline....I am not good at explaining tutorials on things so i did you screenshots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layers.jpg (80.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg cloudspattern.jpg (84.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Chrisafter.jpg (67.3 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 02:35 PM

I think you can capture the steely gray look, but keep the overall background masculine. I didn't want to try to recreate your skintones so I worked from your first rendition.

Made a selection of the subject (my preference is to use the pen tool) and made this the top layer.

Made a new layer (below the subject) and picked a dark and light shade of steely blue then did Render Clouds a couple times, till I found one I liked. Ran GBlur on this layer to soften the cloud effect. Then ran a lighting effect (Spotlight with the blue channel set for some texture) Lowered the transparency to about 90%

I duplicated the subject layer and filled the selection with black. Off set this a little left and up. Did a Transform-distorte to reshape the shadow. Then a GBlur (again, pretty big blur) to soften the edges of the shadow. Sandwiched the shadow layer between the subject layer and the background (clouds) layer. Lowered the transparency on this layer to about 75% (usually much darker than I like for a shadow, but it needed some "beef" because the background is already pretty dark.)

Just one idea. I'm sure there are many ways to approach it, but I'm a traditionalist and this is really a great "formal" shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test-the-background.jpg (63.2 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 02:56 PM

Swampy that is nice...but i think you have now darkened the picture, needs to be alittle more lightened, your changing her picture when its the background only you needed to change. JMHO
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 02:58 PM

Background

Swampy

Nice background for sure! I think that it works well

In situations like this is would be nice to know what the event taking place is. Why is he dressed as such and so on? There may be a color theme that would work based on these assumptions. Uh....but, what do I know!

T
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 03:06 PM

Legacy...

Didn't intend to darken the subject. I noted some color shift when I saved for the web. Lost the sharpness too. :-(
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques