RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Here goes!

Old 03-11-2005, 05:11 PM

Talking Here goes!

Hello everybody.Whew, I haven't stopped reading since I got here. Now I'm finally putting what I learned to practice. Here is a before and after of a picture I'm working on. This is my first time using layers and masks and such. My workflow went something like this-
crop-desaturate-levels-contrast-played with curves-used masks where I needed only certain parts affected-clone stamp-usm
I promise when I get better, I will be able to remember my entire workflow in order. Since I'm just starting to get layers, I keep trying out things left and right and then forget how I got there. LOL
Thank you to all for the great tutorials and forums. I want and need to hear anything that can help me make this picture better. And now that I can follow your instuctions, I will repost after using any suggestions. I posted a pic a while ago asking for help, and when I got it, I couldn't follow the workflow suggested, due to not having my basics down. I don't want anyone to think I was looking for a freebie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MMOrig.jpg (97.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg MMDone-.jpg (99.7 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 09:54 PM

Wow, that is a really challenging photo to be starting out on! Looks more difficult than anything I've tried yet; do you have any idea what happened to it to get it in that condition?

I think you did really well with it; the guy on the left especially is a lot more recognizable now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 10:30 PM

First of all, It's not the first picture I've restored. It's just the first time I fully utilized some of the tools available in photoshop6. I did two other pictures before, but all I used was the auto adjustments, and the clone stamp. Of course I was ROFL when I found out about layers and masks, and how to make manual adjustments. But, on a good note, I got pretty good with the clone stamp and how to blend with different brushes so not to leave brush marks. I'm glad you felt that the guy on the left was more recognizable. That was one of the things the customer requested of me. I'm not sure about the photo itself. I know that it was underexposed, and overall deteriorated over time. It was also cracked and damaged lightly in places, as well as the owner writing a description on the back with ball point pen. She wrote hard, and it showed through to the front on the scan. You can see that clearest on the top of the picture. Thank you for your compliment. You should try some hard stuff yourself. It doesn't hurt, and you only get better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 01:14 AM

Fizzgiz, good job with a difficult photo -- you cleaned up the sky, and like Hephaestos mentioned already, brought back more of the features of the young man on the left.

I think that using a Channel Mixer adjustment layer (don't remember if PShop6 has Channel Mixer -- I've been using Version 7 for a while) helps give you a bit more detail in the lady, and maybe helps with the men a bit. (see photo below). The Green and Blue channels have some detail that is missing from the Red Channel, and using Channel Mixer (monochrome, R:+2, G:+58, B:+40) added some of the lost detail.

As far as the background, I see you even created some features for the lady in the background (I sure couldn't find anything there in the photo, so I'm assuming that you invented them). Good effort -- I think I would have just gaussian blurred the background to hide some of the damage. Cameras of that period did not blur the background as much as today's camera can, but I'd cheat.

Learning to work with layers, masking, and manual adjustments is a lot to learn, and you are picking it all up quickly. Have fun practicing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM-done-for-Fizzgiz.jpg (98.8 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 01:29 AM

Thank you

I knew that using a channel mixer adjustment(PS6 does have it)would be something I should do, but I'm not quite there yet. At least my own observations were correct. And yes, the lady in the background is a result of sharpening. When I went to paint over the sharpening mask, something stopped me from doing so on her face. But, I think I created an uneven picture, and I should just blur the whole background like you suggested. What do you think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 08:48 PM

Any other sugestions?

Thank you CJ. I'm working on playing with channel adjustments, but for this picture I'm just going to blur the background to hide the damage like you said. I'm doing this because I know that the customer will be thrilled with it this way and I must go on to my next job. Here is my final one to give to the customer this week. If anyone else has anything to add, I would still appreciate the info to learn from.
Hey CJ, throw some of that warm weather this way, will ya!! lol
Jessy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MMFinal.jpg (95.0 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques