RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Restoring the woman in the rose shawl

Old 03-19-2005, 01:50 AM

Thanks for the link Flora. Unfortunately the brushes only work for CS, and I'm on PS7. Oh well, back to creating my brushes by hand.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2005, 10:56 AM

Hi,

Gary,

So sorry about that , .... I attached a sample of the Brush and maybe you can duplicate it for usage in other PS version ....

Caitlin, limaze,

After 'reconstructing' the missing part, I was also left with a rather 'solid hair block' ... (Starting Point in Attachment 2) ... here is what I did to 'make ' the hair ...

The brush I used for 'making' the hair is number 13 of the NagelSerie 23.
In Attachment 1 you can see what it looks like and how it works using different colours ...

Restoring the picture, I also used two colours sampled from dark and light areas of the image, and painted the hair trying to achieve a 3D 'feeling' ...

I had to change the 'direction' of the brush a few times .... In Photoshop CS this can be achieved by opening the 'Brush Presets>Brush Tip Shape' and moving the point of the arrow of the cross-hair shape inside the circle .... (actually, while in the 'Brush Presets', you could experiment changing just about everything in a brush and see the results you get!!! .. ).

For each pass, I created a new blank Layer and worked on it ... all the Layers' Opacity is 100% ; the Blending > Normal for all but one which I changed to Overlay. (This can be seen from my attachments).

I kept the Brush Opacity between 20 and 50% .... I painted in several steps since I rather build the intensity gradually.

That said, it was very easy and quick as I painted in smooth, longish strokes along her face first, and on the rest of the hair later. (see Attachments 2-4 for the steps..)

You can play with Brush and Layer Opacity and Blendings until you are satisfied with the result .... Finally, you can use a very light Gaussian Blur for smoother blending ...

Hope this helps ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hair0.jpg (50.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Hair1.jpg (96.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Hair2.jpg (97.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Hair3.jpg (98.4 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2005, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the brush detail Flora, I'm sure I can have a go at creating something similar.

Nice job on the hair, but then I'd have expected nothing less from you. (Hope you can live under the strain of anticipated perfection we all put on you.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2005, 01:30 PM

hello flora, thanks for your little tutorial. i really like how your posts always look so structured and sedulous (i hope this is the right word .
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limaze
......so structured and sedulous (i hope this is the right word .
sed·u·lous : Persevering and constant in effort or application; assiduous.

Didn't know that one. Think you've found a nice word there.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 06:13 AM

Flora, thanks so much for your detailed description. I haven't had another go as yet - you make it sound so easy, but I suspect it will be a bit more tricky for me! *lol*

Do I also detect a highlight added to create the shape of the hair, or is that in the brush strokes also?

I can see I will be learning a lot around here. I have several more quite tricky photos I'm itching to work on, but want to learn a bit more before I tackle the personally valuable ones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 12:37 PM

Gary,

thanks again for your kindness!
...just yell if you need more details on the brushes...

limaze,

thank you so much for your great comment..

Glad I could help .... and thank you for teaching me a new word!!!! (like Roland, hadn't heard that one before!!!!)

Caitlin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
Do I also detect a highlight added to create the shape of the hair....
Tha's all done with the brush .... sorry I didn't really specify it but that's what I meant by:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Restoring the picture, I also used two colours sampled from dark and light areas of the image, and painted the hair trying to achieve a 3D 'feeling'
The 'highlights' are brush strokes of colour sampled from the lightest parts of the picture .... and you'll see that it's really not difficult ...

Glad I could be of help ... and don't hesitate to contact me should you have more questions ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2005, 08:26 AM

A second go...

It took me a while to get stuck into this again. I think the hair problem was intimidating me a bit!

Anyway, after a bit of nagging from my mother who wanted to know when her friend would get her original photo back again , I started afresh, and tried to be a bit more careful with the skin texture, and particularly worked on highlighting the eyes.

I had a go with the hair brush Flora, and it is rather wonderful to work with, and has shown me yet another vast area of photoshop that is completely new to me. I haven't got anywhere near proficient with it yet though - I wonder what size brush you used? I'm going to keep working on this. I haven't got anywhere close to your wonderful version - It's better than my previous 'grey block' but still not completely realistic....

I have another little challenge too, which to be honest I'm not sure I will attempt. I got feedback when I delivered the first retouch I did, as well as a desire for darker eyes, the lady in question remembers that the shawl was over her hair - ie. more like the 'professionally restored' version. To me this looks unnatural, and the way I've done it seems more logical, but the customer is always right! (mind you I'm doing this for free!).

Any feedback most welcome!!

(Previous attempt is here)

ps. oh - and I used your eyelashes brushes as well Flora - thanks!

pps. Curses!! I just realised I saved my psd file after resizing for the web!! *sigh* hours work down the tube. At least I have a save from yesterday...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jean_2nd_attempt.jpg (97.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 04-17-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2005, 04:06 PM

Hi Caitlin,

that is just great ..... I can't remember right now the size of the brush .... but I'll try to go over it again and find out ....

I think 'your' hair is very realistic now, I'd just try to liven it up a bit by painting some highlights (very soft white brush 10% Opacity) on an empty 'overlay' layer on top ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
ps. oh - and I used your eyelashes brushes as well Flora - thanks!
Great!!! Glad they come in handy .... I'll post them in the 'resources' as well ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2005, 04:59 PM

me again....

...The brush size I started with is 21 px .... I increased or decreased the size (very slightly) depending on the hair part I was working on ...

In my attachment I applied the 'Overlay' enhancement to 'your hair ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Overlay.jpg (95.7 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques