Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Critique this skintone work please

Old 03-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Curioso, at the start of the thread I had some comments but by the bottom of the thread you pretty much had it perfect. Like Vikki said, work with the retouch layer above the original and you can use layer masks or overall layer transparency to bring back original details as needed. When you remove all the skin details it becomes flat and loses the realistic texture of skin.

If you wanted to take it further with this picture I would:
*) continue to carefully smooth the lower lip
*) very mildly minimize the collar bone depressions
*) you have a very minor loss of cheek shadow on the right side of the picture which makes her face look a bit flat yet.

These are very, very mild critiques, I wouldn't normally bother to correct them, but I assume we are all striving for knowing how close we are coming to perfection (which is of course relative in the eye of the beholder )

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2005, 07:52 AM
My 2 cents

Without knowing the *objective* of your retouching, I subjectively like DUV's correction the best, and agree with his comments. The skin is more realistic with some texture and noise, and is closer to caucasian with less red (or more yellow).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2005, 08:51 AM
Adapting Vikki's analogy - it's like a waxed car, the more you polish the more you'll see the defects. (Which is why I never polish a car when I'm going to sell it!)

The face is getting pretty good now, but I just can't keep from noticing something strange lower down - a sudden colour change, see arrows.

The ambient lighting seems to have caused some strange coloured shadows on the body.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg skintone-closeup-byRo.jpg (99.7 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques