RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Critique this skintone work please

Old 03-25-2005, 10:11 PM

Critique this skintone work please

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I spent too much time on this one, but it was a good learning experience with the healing brush. I'd really like to hear your opinions on this, and what I should keep in mind for my next image?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skintone-closeup1.jpg (97.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg skintone-closeup.jpg (93.2 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 10:46 PM

Beautifully done, so can you tell us how you did it cos i don't know anything about the healing brush.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 10:48 PM

And....

Welcome to the forum, hope you have a nice time here!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 10:55 PM

Curioso - it's looking pretty good to me. The only criticism I can find is that the edge between your blurred and non-blurred areas is a bit sharp. (Specifically at the hair line and the bottom rim of the eyes) This may not be so noticable when printed though. You might try feathering the edge of your selection a bit more before applying the blur. I don't think it would hurt to blur the hairline a little as well though.

The skin colour and texture looks great. I would probably try to smooth out the bottom lip a little more too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 11:20 PM

Thx for the welcome Legacy~Art. It's sort of hard to explain the use of the healing brush. Perhaps if I use the analogy of the healing brush being used as an exfoliating brush. It works really well on skin if it's properties are set to lighten. Once you get the hang of it lightening then try darken and normal modes also.

Caitlin yes her hairline does need a fixup! I totally missed that. I was usure about the effect on the bottom of the eyes so I'll work on it a little also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2005, 12:32 AM

Welcome aboard Curioso! Very nice job. Only a couple of thoughts. Are you trying to create a high glamour shot. Even with these, you should think about a little bit of skin texture, maybe add a bit of noise. I personally thought the original skin tones were great, maybe work on eliminating the red from the flash. Also, I find the armpits a bit distracting. Keep in mind though that these comments are from someone who strongly believes that less is more. Hope to see lots more from you!!!

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-skintone-closeup1.jpg (83.1 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2005, 06:33 AM

Hi Curioso.
I'd say you have a good handle on using the healing brush. However, as others have noted, there isn't a smooth transition between the retouched and original areas. A good retouch should not be detectable. Here's some advice.....
I'm going to use an analogy for retouching - cleaning a dirty floor.
If you only cleaned the center of the floor, it would be quite evident. You may have done a wonderful job cleaning that one area, but it doesn't make the whole floor look clean, and because of the difference in the clean and dirty areas, it makes it look worse. Going further with that analogy, you also wouldn't clean so hard as to remove the pattern on the floor (character lines, etc).
As with cleaning a floor, an image doesn't always need a complete scrub down, sometimes it just needs a sweep, and sometimes you only need to clean up a small spill.

One more thing, watch out for Gaussian Blur, it's like cleaning with a pail of dirty water.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2005, 09:48 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. I couldn't see what exactly was wrong. Thankyou for the great comments. Dev your comments about the red flash helped me 'uncover' what was happening. The armpits also definatley stood out.

Vikki lol thankyou for taking analogies to a whole new level. I'll never look at my floor the same way again! It's true what they say.. the trick is learning when to stop!

Onya's (Aussie for 'Thanks')
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skintone-closeup.jpg (97.8 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2005, 11:32 AM

Much, much, better.
However (excuse me, I'm a nitpicker), you're scrubbing too hard. I'd let more of her own skin show through, especially under the eyes. Bring back that little pocket of fat under the eye (what is that called anyway?). I usually work with the original as my background layer, and my retouched layer over that. I add a layer mask to my retouch and use that to bring back the definition wherever I need it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2005, 05:09 PM

Vikki you were right, more texture was still needed. I think the balance between textured skin and even tones is closer now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skintone-closeup.jpg (93.2 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques