Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

First Try

Old 04-24-2005, 08:29 AM

First Try

Hi

Heres my first go at retouching a photo, so be gentle :p

Before: http://s10.skins.be/pics/JessicaSimggfia_01_1024.jpg

after: click here

Plz try to get the whole image in your screen to get the best view.

My work:
-overall lighting
-skin
-eyes
-lips
-tiny bit of brightness/contrast/shadow/highlight/curves tweaking

Personally I love the result, but Id like to hear what you all think.

btw, whats up with a 100kb limit on png files :s
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peach
Plz try to get the whole image in your screen to get the best view.

btw, whats up with a 100kb limit on png files :s
Um... it's because your 'after' file is 16x bigger than it needs to be in order to view 'the whole mage on the screen' as you've requested!! And takes quite some time to download, for no obvious extra benefit! jpg is the best bet for simple web viewing anyway.

I have to admit I can't see any substantial difference between the two images, other than the obvious skin tone change. You've removed some of the lighting highlights from her face, which I personally think should have stayed - her skin tone is a bit dull without them. You also seem to have lost some of the sharpness of the image (unless that is just a side effect of viewing your image reduced in size).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 09:01 AM

I think I'd excise the far-side earring, it looks at first glance like it's sticking out of her chin (accident of the camera angle) and is a bit distracting. It doesn't seem noticeable to me if it's gone, either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg earring.jpg (99.0 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
Um... it's because your 'after' file is 16x bigger than it needs to be in order to view 'the whole mage on the screen' as you've requested!! And takes quite some time to download, for no obvious extra benefit! jpg is the best bet for simple web viewing anyway.

I have to admit I can't see any substantial difference between the two images, other than the obvious skin tone change. You've removed some of the lighting highlights from her face, which I personally think should have stayed - her skin tone is a bit dull without them. You also seem to have lost some of the sharpness of the image (unless that is just a side effect of viewing your image reduced in size).
Well caitlin, if you don't see any substantial difference there must be something wrong with your system. (dunno if its your computer though)

What I did is I smoothened the skin because the texture looked pretty bad on this picture. I also made the lips come out a bit more and I increased overall contrast between the iris and the eye-white.

The reason I use 24bit PNG is lossless compression, wich even JPEG12 doesnt offer, and PNG's built-in gamma correction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaestos
I think I'd excise the far-side earring, it looks at first glance like it's sticking out of her chin (accident of the camera angle) and is a bit distracting. It doesn't seem noticeable to me if it's gone, either.
yeah thats a good one. I didnt even notice the earring on her chin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 11:25 AM

I was going to say also I don't see any substantial difference in pics besides the filesize. I thought that was a drip of sweat going down her chin until someone said it's an earring.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 11:49 AM

I think a large part of what goes into retouching, is what we each perceive as flaws or imperfections within the image. I am, by no means, an expert at finding things to fix, but some things do jump out at me.

Truthfully, this is not what I would have expected in a "retouch", as you've worked on areas that I wouldn't have, and didn't address parts that needed it.

For instance, in this image, the biggest problem I saw, was the coloring. Is it me, or does anyone else notice all of these "orange" people?!! You see it everywhere. So for me, that needed to be fixed. I also thought the image was muddy looking, and needed to be brightened.

Other than that, the little things I would change (but didn't here) are her earring, and the strand of hair hanging down the same side of her face.

Your retouch addressed the shine on her skin, which I was pretty much fine with, as it adds shape to the face, and a youthfulness. I would suggest yours could be taken down a notch or two. You've also brightened the whites of her eyes, which is tricky, as it can look a bit spooky.

As I said, a lot of this has to do with individual taste, however, depending on the audience, there are some rules.

Just an FYI, here's a peek at the orange, and how "I" thought the color could be improved. The image on the left was masked with gray, then portions of the original revealed to show the underlying original colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jess1.jpg (82.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg jess2.jpg (92.9 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=Vikki]
For instance, in this image, the biggest problem I saw, was the coloring. Is it me, or does anyone else notice all of these "orange" people?!! You see it everywhere. So for me, that needed to be fixed. I also thought the image was muddy looking, and needed to be brightened. [QUOTE]

I would have to agree. Just a little work with Levels can easily improve the image although my adjustment has a slightly higher yellow percentage to magenta.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-js-after.jpg (99.9 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 04:09 PM

Hi all,

First off, PNG24 doesn't offer any compression at all, and just render any artifacts from the original file so there is little or no quality enhancement unless your original is also uncompressed. Secondly, I liked what you did but feel the overall image is just a tad muddy.

My first reaction to this was a photographic one; the photographer is 200-300ft too close to the subject. (Not kidding about that, glamour photography is best done with a 600mm or longer lens.)

I'm gonna agree and say that this is just a little too orange, and I think the original retoucher left the image a little dark. I worked on the image trying to get the "porcelain" look. (A hard think to do with the light so muddled, I'm not sure I completely pulled it off) Brightened the image, repaired some of the blotchiness in the skin, selective color, and a sharpening layer over the whole thing. Topped it off with a very subtle ISO160 grain.

Take care,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jessica.jpg (98.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by MBChamberlain; 04-25-2005 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Attach image.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques