Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

older photo i just finished

Old 05-01-2005, 04:07 PM

older photo i just finished

i dont think it came out too bad, any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-13.jpg (43.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-13b copy.jpg (51.9 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 04:47 PM

I think it would be good to get some back story with this one Jim - why have you removed the people in the background?

The retouch looks good though. However the first thing that struck me (maybe just something you've done by accident in the jpg version?) - the couple have been 'squeezed' and are now somewhat thinnner than they were!

Another couple of points: I think the brides dress has blown out a little. Also, I think part of her veil (our right) which is currently very opaque, is actually the other woman's dress - and should be more like the other side.

Last edited by Caitlin; 05-01-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 06:40 PM

well i am doing this for a friend of mines, mother. the 2 people who are seated are her grandparents, she did not know who the ppl are in the backround and wanted a photo of just her grandparents

as far as them looking squeezed, i think i did that when i was resizing it and making it able to fit on this forum. the original doesnt look like that

as far as the veil. i know exactly what your talking about, where you can see the dress of the person that was behind her? that was a real pain, im going to have to work on that somemore. thanks for your insight and your compliment, much appreciated
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 06:10 AM
Patron

Veil restore

Well you could use the vail on the bride's right side and transpose a copy of it to her left side. That would probably work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 10:16 AM

thanks Phil, i saw in another thread somewhere on this forum where flora showed an example of how to do that with another photo that used that technique and she wrote out how to do it, but i couldnt figure it out. i must be doing something wrong. i def. need to figure it out though as i agree that would be the way to go about fixing that vail
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Patron

The Retouch

Well I fiddled with your retouch some. Studying the area of the bride the background seems to have the same luminosity. The right side is slightly darker than the left. The bride's left arm in your retouch had some of the lady that was behind the bride in the left arm so that needed to be fixed. So to correct the bride's left arm I just cloned the background over some. Notice the area around the left arm of the chair. I then made the selection as outlined and copied the the selection to a new layer. Then edit/transform/flip horizontal and then used the move tool to move the vail from the the bride's right side to the left. Note that the bride's left ear is present so that needed to be preserved. Some erasing and cloning and that was it.

There are several jpeg artifacts in the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bride.jpg (36.2 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 01:14 PM

WOW Phil that is sweet..
now when you say jpeg artifacts, that sounds like a bad thing and im not really sure by what you mean by that, could you please explain? thanks

im still relatively new to this and dont have down all the terminology
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Patron

jpeg artifacts

Well In your photo around the bridal veil you see areas of distortion. In the background are blocks of distortion. Those are jpeg artifacts. The more you compress the file the worse they get. When you are scanning something for restoration at home its a good idea not to use .jpg file compression.

Actually this was discussed in another thread by MBChamberlain and I believe you were part of that thread too.
Click Here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JPEG.jpg (25.1 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 02:34 PM

thanks Phil
i never knew how to do the transform /flip trick, it makes things so much easier, especially when doing tricky stuff such as the vail in this pic. i did exactly as you outlined in the previous posts. took a few minutes to figure out what i was doing, but ive got a grasp on it now, thanks so much i will post up my version as soon as it get it done
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 03:35 PM

i have to agree,,, much much better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-13b2 copy.jpg (81.1 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques