Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first composite

Old 05-14-2005, 12:52 PM
My first composite

(I'm adding an updated version of the composite. Maybe (hopefully!) it's better ... )

Here (assuming I can figure out how to upload the images) is my first attempt at a composite photo.

This is pretty much the result of several days (on and off) of cut-and-try ...

As you will (I hope) see, the starting images are quite different in character. One of my problems was trying to reconcile that difference.

At least the scales weren't too different, and I came up with the idea of resizing the larger one down by measuring the distance between the eyes on each and making them roughly the same. That seems to have worked OK.

Having no other guidelines, I guessed that the gentleman was probably taller than his wife (how much I do not know; I only ever met their daughter, who is quite short, and that was over 40 years ago!) ... later, I realized that he was probably photographed sitting down, so perhaps I could fudge the difference.

I had to create a shoulder for her. Not sure I got it right, but probably close enough.

Any questions?

I'm very curious what people think!

(Incidentally, I still haven't got my pricing fully worked out, but I am taking a limited amount of work now. And thanks for all the feedback on that a while back!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perez203.jpg (83.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Perez211.jpg (47.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Perez203+211.jpg (63.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Perez203+211New.jpg (91.2 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by OlProfBear; 05-14-2005 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Adding an updated version
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 04:04 AM
Just a thought

Looking at the reflections in the eyes of the two persons, there appears to be two different light sources in the woman's eyes (one from the left and one from the front) and only one in the man's. It might be useful to try and harmonize this so as to give a "unified" feeling regarding the light source. Also I would think trying to give some depth using drop shadows might help give more volume to the scene. I am not to fond of the stripes in the background and would think that a "cloud" like type of background light be better. Now having said all that I do not know how to achieve this , but I am sure that several of the forum "seniors" will be helpful with the "how tos".
All the best
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 12:30 PM

Turns out, that was exactly what I tried to do, ultimately.

I think I managed to get the eyes sufficiently "synchronized", though it may not be as obvious in this attachment as it is in the final product (the photo is at the lab now, having proper prints made).

I gave my client a choice of backgrounds, and he picked the clouds (I'd been trying for a curtain effect, but it didn't quite come off).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo1B.jpg (57.6 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques