Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Competition Entry

Old 05-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Competition Entry

Before I spend the money to have the enlargements printed and mounted, does anyone have any suggestions for improving these competition entries? The title of the piece is "Buying Beauty".

Also, I am interested to know what you think it means: I know what I meant for it to mean, and your comments will help me know I've pulled it off.

Thanks all,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg male.jpg (92.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg female.jpg (87.1 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi Michael

Nice Job! Only a few suggestions which may or may not be valid.

Him: Neck vein, maybe 2 or none? Left shoulder perhaps could be smoothed a tad more.

Her: Right shoulder shadow seems a bit extreme; Left neck hair; Left arm marks or blemishes; transition lines on right chest and left rib cage.

My guess on the title would be something to do with how people can now "purchase" a Ken and Barbie body.

Love your stuff.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Good job, but if I don't know the title "Buying Beauty" will I be able to figure out what the photos mean on their own? Probably not...maybe the bar code could be made more visible or larger or attached to the bodies in a different manner.
My view of the image is that a good body is just another product, to be run through the scanner, paid for, and taken home. There is something I don't like about the amount of black and grey tones. Maybe it was intentional, but I found it too foreboding...I'm not sure I would want to purchase those particular bodies because of it. I think you are trying to make a point but my understanding suggests to me that the viewer has to initially want the body to get the point...if you know what I mean...

Last edited by ogee; 05-14-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques