RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Your opinions please

Old 05-30-2005, 05:05 PM

Hi Ken,

Mis informed you in my last post. I said the Maypole would be raised manually without the use of machinery.

Today for the first time in over 400 years, the pole was lifted into place by a crane. This despite the assurances we'd been given my the maypole comittee, that that would not be the case.

It seems that they succombed to the bean counters and lawyers, who, worried by the current compensation culture prevalent in the UK, would not allow the traditional pole raising method in case someone got injured and sued the committee. (This has never happened in all recorded history of this event.)

I feel sad at the death of a long tradition, and the village tonight is in my opinion a much poorer place.

The festivities were as good as usual though, and I'm writing this with somewhat blurred vision.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 09:30 PM

I feel your pain Gary and that's coming from a dude living in a "new" country that really doesn't have rich traditions like England. By the way, do you think your committee supports Camilla becoming Queen?

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2005, 12:04 AM

i played around with this a little more. the redfield plugin has a few limits that i dont like, but it can do fairly decent things. the biggest problem with it is, no matter how you resize the picture you're going to work with, the redfield has no zoom to rescale its effects. thus, even if you 10x the size of your original, the plugin is going to 10x the size of its effect because it loads the entire image into its preview pane and, the ripple sizing slider will only go so small. so, the problem isnt in making large ripple effects, it's in making small ones.

so, i had to trick it a bit and only work with sections of the original and resize those to a larger image and then apply the plugin. then resize the result and paste it back into the original in the right spot.

so, if your original image plugs in in the right relationship, then all fine and well, but if it doesnt, you're going to have to do some cut and paste and resizing and so on.

but, barring all that, i did get one result i liked ok. i had to use a different background image from the one you already had the ripples on, but the technique can be applied to yours. in this one, i took most of the bottom half of the original and resized it by 4x, i believe. i also loaded the whole image into the ripple plugin before that and set up my contrasts and other bottom half settings so they would be correct after i applied the ripples and pasted the image back into the original picture. all in all, it wasnt too bad. might not be exactly what you were after, but it gives you an idea.

remember, in the plugin you have two center ripple effects being created. it's easier to turn one off and work with it, then turn it off and the other back on. after you've got both relatively close to the way you want it, turn them both back on for a final look.

K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walkin-3-k-1b.jpg (92.7 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2005, 12:07 AM

oh, and since i'm also somewhat new to this plugin, i couldnt find a way to prioritize which ripple would be the senior one, meaning that if you wanted to show one as happening later than the other and the effect that would have. it just didnt seem to allow for this. so, whereas i think it's an excellent plugin, it does seem to have those two flaws to it, the relative scaling and prioritizing the ripples against each other.

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2005, 12:28 AM

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. Kraellin, I see what you mean about the Redfield Plugin's limitations. I did a similar approach as you. I made larger oval selections of the water, then put these selections onto individual layers. Then I applied the ripple effect to each of these layers, adding extra ripples to the older footsteps and shrinking the layers afterwards. I also reduced the transparency of the older footsteps so that they wouldn't stand out as much.

Gary, thank you for directing me to the Flaming Pear plugin. That's definitely worth owning. I even applied the effect seperately to the reflection, so that the reflection would match the reflecting surface. I decided to give up on the shadow after all. I don't think it's all that important anyway. I do wish there wasn't blazing sunshine on my son's face, because in the background it appears to be late in the day.

I'm still looking for suggestions from anyone. Everything is layered and masked, so it's easy to edit.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onwater3.jpg (92.5 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2005, 01:25 AM

Hi Duv,

Prior to yesterday's betrayal of principle, I'd have said that the comittee still believed in putting people in the stocks, drowning witches, and burning foreigners at the stake. Camilla would have been stoned in the street as a harlot. Now I'm not so sure.

Ken, like your new rendition a lot, it really does'nt need the shadow. If you're worried about the sun on the boys face, try moderating it a little with curves. I don't think the discrepancy in lighting is really too noticeable.

Kraelin, nice job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2005, 02:14 PM

thanks gary.

ken, nice job! the middle one looks a bit off, like it was placed into the shot a bit. some blending or smoothing might fix it, but that's going to be a problem somewhat with that filter. the scaling thing is a bit disappointing, but can be worked around. one thing to do before taking smaller selections out and treating them beforehand, that might help, is to load the entire image first into the plugin and set the bottom set of sliders for contrast, lightness and so on first. then take your selection out of the original and work on it without altering any of those bottom settings. this will keep your selection within the contrast and lighting ranges of the original.

i do like the front ripple and the ripple effect in front of that. those look good. the very back one has a bit of the i-came-from-another-image effect, but not as bad as the middle one.

and as for the shadow, you might create a new layer just for the shadow and ripple it separately, or maybe give it a bit less opacity first and then add the broader ripple effect. but, yeah, it's really not the highlight of the picture and a bit superflous to it. so, no biggie.

i noticed in my own image that once i'd placed the boy on the water, that i shld have done a bit more to blend him into the water more. he sort of looks placed because of that. a bit of smoothing or blending around his shoes and water might have given it a more natural look.

overall, it's a very good effect. i like it

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2005, 04:51 PM

Thanks again for your help. I liked your effect very much. It motivated me to improve on the original. I consider it is now "good enough" and will move on.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 08:44 AM

you're welcome.

K.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques