RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Your opinions please

Old 05-29-2005, 12:23 AM

Your opinions please

I've been teaching myself PS for 3 years now. I would really like this image to work. I have attached the two originals and the final composite.

I am pleased with the ripple effect in the foreground (showing a rippled reflection of my son, using Redfield's freeware ripple plug-in). However, I believe the water lacks detail, as it has an almost-pure reflection. I tried to brush in some surface mist in the distance.

I am not happy with the trailing ripples. If my son could actually walk across Okanagan Lake, what would the background ripples look like? Over time a ripple becomes wider, but should also appear smaller, as they trail into the distance. Any suggestions here? Any tips on how I could make more realistic ripples?

And how about a shadow? I tried to make a shadow appear on a water surface, but it looked all wrong.

Please feel free to modify.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on-water.jpg (99.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg walking.jpg (98.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg penticton.jpg (95.5 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Janitor

If your son can walk on water, then you must be... (sorry, couldn't resist)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 12:30 AM

Hi Ken!

Love the area around Kelowna/Penticton. Hope you get a little more rain this season.
Your right. The little guy needs a shadow, possibly done with a displacement map. Unfortunately, beyond my limited capabilities.
Good Luck!

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 03:07 AM

The first thing that hit me, was that the ripples were in the wrong place, considering the position of the boy's feet. As he is now on his right foot (left as we look at it), the preceding impact ripple would have been to the right, and the one before that to the left of that. Unless he hopped to where he is, and his body position does not suggest so.

But nice concept, I'll have a quick play with your image if you don't mind, back later.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 03:22 AM

Ok, had a very quick play with your image, repositioned on of the impact ripples, added some waves to water, and added shadow (doesn't work for me). Sorry don't have any free time today, will try to do a better job later if I get enough free time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on-water 2.jpg (90.6 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 04:06 AM

I think that change in water surface works well Gary - and the relocation of the ripples. I don't mind the shadow, but the reflection still doesn't seem right to me (I think it might be too clear?) - and a shadow probably needs to relate to that as well. I'm not sure how the location of a reflection relates to the shadow - but it must.

Very clever, both of you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 05:44 PM

Gary,
I like the changes you made, nice job. What did you use to create the waves? Did you use a filter or was that your handy work?

Catlin,
I agree that the reflection isn't quite right, but I don't think it needs to be related to the shadow. The reflection should always be somewhere between the viewer and the subject, but the shadow should be opposite the light source.

After close study, I notice that my son's reflection rides right over the ripple, and shouldn't do that. (I'll go fill my sink again to study ripples more).

Thanks for the replies.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 01:10 AM

Hi Ken, I used Flaming Pear's Flood Filter to create the waves. First I duplicated the image twice, extracted the boy from the top copy, applied filter to bottom copy, applied mask, and masked impact ripple areas.

Flattened Image, then made a patch of 2nd ripple and area to left of it. Pasted to new layer, and moved to right, to re-position it. (Area to left covers original ripple pattern). Masked it to fit better into image.

New layer, cloned out a few areas of conflict, caused by moving ripple.

The original reason I added the waves, was that they would obscure any inadequacies in creating shadow, but I liked the effect. Personally I did'nt like the shadow I created, and would have left it out of the image, but your original post had asked for one, so I left it in.

As I said earlier, this was a rush job, took me about 15 mins, if I get the time, I'll try to do a better job. But it's a holiday day here today, so most of my time today will be spent in the village, helping to erect a 90 foot solid wood Maypole, which sits in the middle of the high street.

We have a local tradition, that says it can only be raised by the men of the village, using only manual methods, (no cranes or hoists allowed).

As you might imagine, its quite strenuous. The whole village is shut to traffic, and free beer is distributed to all involved with the enterprise,and general feasting and merriment follows. So I don't expect to be in any condition to do any Photoshop work for a couple of days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 01:59 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun! Hope to chat with you again soon.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 02:53 AM

Ken,

the redfield plugin is an excellent plugin. i have it for psp 7.xx. i just played with your pics a bit (getting late here), and you can do what you want within the plugin itself pretty much. the first thing to know about that plugin is that he uses a double effect effect. to get what you want, you have to turn one side off and just use a single effect. to do that, notice the tiny eye over each effect form box, the yellow circle, or square or triange or hexagon in the black boxes. click on one of the eyes until you see a faint red X thru it.

after that, create just one ripple to your liking and position it using the sliders around the image box, where your new ripple is. that will position your ripple where you want it. use the other sliders like decay, intensity, and so on, to get the exact ripple type you want.

you may want to do this in a new layer and add in each extra ripple in another separate layer... up to you.

if you start with just the ripples in the water, you can then add the boy and do another effect. you can also remove the boy WITH his shadow intact and then using the ripple effects, even ripple his shadow or refract it.

it's hard to explain all this in text, so i'm only giving a rough outline here. play with the plugin. it shld be able to do what you want to do. some of the steps may be in the wrong order here, as i've only played with your images and the redfield plugin a bit here. it's an excellent plugin. you can do a lot with it and if you've got the whole bundle of redfield plugins (yes, even if it's just the free ones), you might try some of the others in that suite and see if you cant do a bit more to your composite. i forget all the one's he has, but being a holiday tomorrow, i can prolly look at this again then.

K.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques