RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Website critique

Old 05-29-2005, 05:54 PM

Website critique

Since nobody else here is shy about posting their websites, here's mine.

http://www.preciouseffects.com

Any critique is appreciated greatly!

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 06:34 PM

Really nice Ken - represents your services well.

As restoration is the area I am interested in, I personally think it would be great if you could get a trickier restore up there too. (The ripped photo doesn't look completely real because of the added shadow) If you don't have one available, you could always do one of the challenges or competions that are held here. (I think they are ok to post on a website - though you might want to check with an admin).

It does seem a little slow to load here. You might want to see if you can optimise some of the images in the pages (There are some free web optimisation sites around that will point out slow loading graphics etc)

Overall I think you've done a very professional job though.

Last edited by Caitlin; 05-29-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 06:42 PM

Ken

WOW that is superbly done i spent ages going through the pictures.

My advice is a small one but have you ever thought of adding a html code called "No right click" it stops people from removing your pictures from your website, also i think its more professional.

If you want the codes i can email them to you.

Elle
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 06:53 PM

Thumbs down

I too liked the site a lot - my observations are purely in the gumpy-old-man category:

1) Like Caitlin, I found it a little slow, especially considering that the banners repeat on each page;

2) People just love pressing the wrong buttons, so on the home page the Home Page button shouldn't do anything - and be more greyed out;

3) The cash is important to you, but I think a visitor would like to see the samples first - I'd have put the banner in a friendlier sequence: Home / Work Samples / FAQ / Prices / Order / Contact;

4) On the samples page, I would have liked a "go back" button - you can press the "Samples" button again but ...people just love pressing the wrong buttons;

5) On the cat sample you wrote how long it would take - don't think that's a good idea to post on the Web. If the clients asks, that's a different matter;

6) There are some photoshop terms that the general public is not obliged to understand - "Drop Shadow" on the front page. There was something else, can't find it now;

7) The art-work on the car could have been a separate section and not an after thought on the change of background page.

Yeah, I wrote a lot - but these are very, very minor grumps.
It IS a very nice website!

(1,494Km to go)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the FB. I'm not sure if the slowness is due to the server or the slow graphics. I optimized everything as much as I dared in ImageReady. Any more optimization and the .gif borders start to look poor.

I'm thinking about redoing the entire thing, possibly with frames or something. Visitors shouldn't have to load the banner and border each time they click to the next page. I understand basic HTML, IR and DreamWeaver but I'm not great at any.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 06:22 AM

Hi Ken,

as I am also in the process of redoing my site I'd like to add a few comments as well

- I dislike Elles idea of the right-click thingy (Although Elle is of course one of the best . It extremely annoys me of people tell me I cannot save a picture or not look at the code. What if a potential customer wants to save an example along with your details? Besides there are screenshots and you can turn js off of course...

- The overall look and feel is absolutely awesome, I wish I was that far...

- Your site completely lacks the meta-tags for the search engines

- As byRo said, do NEVER EVER tell a customer how long it takes! If I tell a person it takes me 15 minutes to finish a whole portrait she starts thinking about the price and that's what you certainly don't want....

- Is it wise to put prices on the page? I guess an 8MB RAW file might take you a little longer to work on than a family photo shot with a 2Megapixel camera?

- I can't get rid of the feeling the cat stares at me Extremely in the small thumb.

All in all a good thing you started there, maybe you can keep me up to date on the feedback? I based my own website on a simple portfolio and plan to contact customers directly and use the HP merely as a sample and would love to hear what your effort brings...

Patrick
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 06:37 AM

Patrick you are a very trusting man, and i imagine not been online long, there are people out there that will steal your work and your ideas and add their own watermark and call it their own.

But you carry on being niave i was offering some advice as i have dealt with people stealing bandwidth and photos from my website and calling it their own.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 07:47 AM

Hm, I am sorry for you being upset about my opinion Elle, but what is the advantage of javascript? Someone who wants to get your images can easily make a screenshot in a snap, or simply turn off js and there he goes...!

Don't you agree?

In my humble opinion, there are just two ways of avoiding theft: Either you use a digital watermark, which costs a fortune, or as I prefer, add a logo to each of your images. As I am about to redo all my images, I guess I will just add some real watermark with a simple bevel, that does not disturb much but makes your work really "unstealable".

Patrick
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 10:42 AM

I just checked, and as I understand it, I do have a meta tag loaded with search words. I have done what I can for Search Engine Optimization. I have titled each page, used alternate text for all image-based links, although I do not have enough external links. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 03:11 PM

Patrick don't flatter yourself hun takes alot more to upset me.
Basically its just down to what you want in life, and what feels better for yourself don't you agree patrick?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques